llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Legends of the Lilarcor - A Barrel of Bastards  (Read 3410 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor Elite Questor NPC Guild Golden Creator
    • Awards
Legends of the Lilarcor - A Barrel of Bastards
« on: June 27, 2014, 03:44:55 AM »
Chapter two starts in a cantina aboard a space station orbiting the relic planet Sindar, home to miners, scavengers and raiders vying for the planet's riches.

An employer has negotiated a contract with Irina, by which you will gain a useful sum for your trouble - and there may be opportunity to ditch other wares as well, and follow up on the conspiracy that led to the explosion aboard the Prize. Ah, the wonder's of civilization!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:41:29 PM by EchoMirage »
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor Elite Questor NPC Guild Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: Legends of the Lilarcor - A Barrel of Bastards
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 09:30:19 PM »
Shadows rested in the corners of the Rascal Reaver in undisturbed layers. The brass-and-wood bar with scarlet pillows sought to resurrect the atmosphere of ages past and to provide a discreet ambiente to patrons regardless of their occupation.
The structure was a convoluted assembly of narrow rooms and curtained alcoves, spreading akin to the web of a bar-tending spider through the depths of Argus station. It was impossible to overlook the entirety of the winding establishment from any point inside, and the countless exits allowed patrons to come and go as they would.

The most imposing figure was certainly Thronstahl, who kept the pawnshop and private bank associated with the bar; the Bjorndahl towered even behind his massive wooden desk, as you would expect of a saber-tooth bear.
The proprietor was an entirely different entity. Madame Jacqueline was a worldly woman of a peculiar presence, the sort of charm that a cask of priceless whiskey exudes. Legs long as the endless light years between suns, she wore gowns of red and black upon her white fur, the long rabbit ears adorned with a small fortune in gold. The most striking feature were her eyes, deep and dangerous and conspiring at the same time, giving the impression that she didn't care for the world, but you were the one person to receive special treatment. It was her who made the Reaver a neutral ground on the fringe of space. No one dreamed of starting violence at her bar - the crime syndicates and warlords of the Fringe would make sure he suffered.

A purple-haired waitress in a black-blue jumpsuit that flattered her tight figure placed drinks and proper food upon their table, real pork and real beer, courtesy of the extensive agricultural complexes of the frontier station. You had to be self-sufficient in these parts; even the tax collectors didn't come every year. It might have something to do with the natives' tendency to space them, though.
"Miss Eleanor sends her regards; she will arrive within the hour" she chirped, batting her silver-shadowed eyes, and proceeding further.

Below on stage, on classical instruments, a quartet plied its trade, the young women engrossed in the performance, the soft notes wiping away the murmur drifting between the tables, bestowing privacy and a wistful note.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tABGeAcga-M

The erstwhile crew of the Hollen's paged through what they had pulled from Yulo's and Cherenkov's logs, while waiting for their contact. Their niche was cozy, hidden from sight, perfect for clandestine talk.

"I'd bet, not money but just being right, that Cherenkov's contact for the Spice is on Skyline. Look, this mister Flow plays pretty secretive, while the way his messages are misphrased speaks volumes about a Spice habit. A sordid tale of a man eating his merchandize. The goods are late, the mob will be nervous, but the money may be good" Quan assessed confidently, grinning from ear to ear.
"While less adventurous, old Cherenkov had a route to deliver the mundane merchandise planned out, one of them is a group of miners here on Sindar, a short trip down the gravity well."
Irina pondered, then finally opened up about her thoughts: "Cherenkov has been tracking someone from Sindar to the Desdemona; I have reason to believe it was the Daedalus. She figures in some travel logs on his file. There's also quite the file on some Dr. Kraljevic, and that's too professionally compiled to be the work of old Cherry. A xenoarcheologist of some kind, with a penchant for expeditions to the Fringe."

Jerome poked the touchscreen with a frown: "And what about this Carter character? He pops up in both Yulo's and Cherenkov's logs, and sent Yulo two messages recently. One's holds the coordinates to Severus, and one, more recent, is Sindar here, a spot on the northern hemisphere. I detest the shady bastard already."

"I hope you will find me more to your liking" a red haired, slender woman of almost feline grace with sparking silver eyes interjected. The natural human beauty, symmetrical features, milky skin and large sensitive eye (the other had a patch) re-kindled old memories in Jerome. He smiled, for the young woman did not display any attempts at extravagant body modification, well aware of the generosity of nature towards her.
"I took the liberty of discussing an engagement with your captain. You see, someone has taken what is mine, and I would have it back."
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 06:34:41 PM »
"Cherenkov has been tracking someone from Sindar to the Desdemona; I have reason to believe it was the Daedalus. She figures in some travel logs on his file. There's also quite the file on some Dr. Kraljevic, and that's too professionally compiled to be the work of old Cherry. A xenoarcheologist of some kind, with a penchant for expeditions to the Fringe."

Autumn nodded, "No doubt he's the one that sponsored the expedition to the Kotiri home world, then hired Yulo to find out what went wrong when they failed to report back in." She leaned back slightly thinking. "It be a worthy investment of time to track him down and impress upon him the need to remove the Kotiri home world from his data banks and forget it ever existed."

Autumn turned as the woman approached the table, her nose catching her scent a half second before she spoke. "Sit and tell us what has been taken and by whom, then we can discuss what help or leverage we can provide to see its expedient return."

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 07:20:17 PM »
Jerome paused a second. "Yes, please, Let's hear your story Miss Eleanor."

Jerome was wearing his 'civiy' legs.  Articulated feet, fully fleshed and even heated to normal body temperature.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Elanor

• The Laughing Fox
  • Nomad
  • Elanor Reaper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 01:30:29 AM »
With a pleased smile she settled to the near by vacant seat, warmly offering a "Thanks" Before speaking, her voice like liquid silk. "What was taken from me is a simple piece of jewelry, a broach of sun platinum and encrusted with star rubies, a picture of my birth mother lays within." She closed her eyes momentarily, as if remembering its image before continuing.

"It was... Taken from me, during a.. altercation between myself and an opposing party, the Archdeacon corporation, you may have heard of them? One of it's subsidiaries to be more precise, Spartacus Company, little more than hired thugs posing as legitimate mercenaries." She waved a hand dismissively at the clarification, pausing to sip at a glass of wine and let the pulse of dramatic silence take hold.

"The specifics of how it was lost really aren't that important, what matters is the locket is within their possession, and I require your aid in recovering it." She smiled and make momentary eye contact with each of them, holding Jerome's gaze a second longer than the others, her eyes twinkling with a spark of interest. "Think of this as your audition, impress on this task and a more complicated, and much higher paying job will be yours for the undertaking after." She leaned back in her seat and awaited the expected barrage of questions with an air of confidence, an unspoken certainty in her body language the people surrounding her was without a doubt the perfect, nay, the only ones for the job in question.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 09:31:04 AM »
Seemed a whole lotta bother for a piece of jewelry, however sentimental.  Certainly it held additional value, and the rival knew that. What would be worth getting kinetic over?

"Any reason why they won't have melted it down and sold the jewels separately?"

The whys lead to hows. Tactical details would come eventually, but Jerome wanted to know what they were getting into.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 01:11:20 PM »
Sunny smiled and nodded at Jerome's comment, her red mane slipping forward to come to rest upon her chest, unbraided, held together just by her head-tendrils. Her thoughts had followed a similar course. "It might be wise to tell us any special needs regarding the handling of the jewel - such as 'do not expose to EMP', honey." The doctor then paused briefly, noting: "I guess my old CDAs no longer apply? Regardless, I know of Archdeacon - we have designed some bioroids for them. Very focused on kalokagathia, callipygean as well, but not too subtle."
The doctor shrugged then, leaning back and unfurling the tendrils, and giving others space in the discussion.

The bouquet of perfume, incense and heavy red wine gave the air a peculiar note, and Eleanor examined the captain in the dimmed light.
They had met, officially, when she had been with the Rust Scorpions, and Irina Cherenkov's first mate. The erstwhile captain knew well how to fence alien artifacts and 'ancient native art' - any piece of junk which was too badly beaten up to earn solid coin otherwise.
While the Lilarcor was definitely Cherenkov's ship, none of the original crew save Irina were around. She made a mental note, for smuggler crews don't just vanish for no good reason.
What Irina didn't know was that Eleanor had seen her before, during a corporate reception. It was quite a steep drop from diplomatic attache of the Republic of Arkona to smuggler, but Eleanor knew well of highs and lows herself. It paid well though, it seemed - Irina had been of a more slender frame back then, and the mods to turn her into this amazon couldn't have been cheap.

The captain then spoke, her face inscrutable: "Eleanor and I go some time back; we haven't ever had any conflict regarding payments. For this introductory job, she has promised us a thousand two hundred Nuyen - enough to fill the Lila up, and run minor repairs. But, I am certain that she wouldn't have contacted me without something more substantial being in the works."
There was something unfamiliar in Irina's gaze however, as if she studied Eleanor intensely, albeit with strange detachment. To what purpose, she could not tell, but she briefly felt as a hare in an open field.

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 02:45:17 PM »
The hound listened to the sales pitch with curiosity, leaning forward to scent the woman, and getting only nostrils full of perfume for her efforts, the offered amount promising either a so called milk run, or a test of their business acumen. "I trust that pay is twelve hundred nuyen a piece, given mercenary companies usually require more leverage than a kind word and drawn pistol." She smiled and gestured to her comrades, "We are not opposed to risk, but prefer the reward be worth weighing our lives against, not to mention the jewel in question is no doubt worth ten or a hundred times the offered fee."

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 02:55:45 PM »
"I didn't ask my question in concerns with payment. I asked to get a feel for how earnest our opposition would be. And I would still like an answer." Jerome smiled.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Elanor

• The Laughing Fox
  • Nomad
  • Elanor Reaper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 03:29:19 PM »
Elanor closed her eyes briefly and smiled, the body language of the group and line of questions indicating interest, suspicion, and the expected haggling that only a confident group would attempt. Perfect. "You are every bit as keen as Irina assured me, although I did find her old crew had a certain mercantile drive that made them more easy motivated, but they lacked your sense of... Panache." She smiled again favoring the captain with a piercing gaze as she referenced her former crew, such spacers didn't vanish quietly into the black without a fight, and often left behind loose ends and questions in their wake.

She took a breath and leaned forward, lowering her voice slightly and slowly tracing a pattern on the tablecloth with an index finger as she spoke. "The locket in question is, as you have surmised, more than a simple chunk of jewelry, it also contains a genetic sample of my mother, ironclad proof I am indeed her daughter, but also the bio coded access to my personal vault out in the dust wastes." She gestured behind the table and to the left indicating the untamed expanse beyond the starport.

"Spartacus knows well what they have, and it's value exceeds that of the stones that accent it's surface, it's both a key to my personal rainy day funds, and proof of my claim to a family inheritance, one that could purchase the vessel you call home a hundred thousand times over, at least." She shrugged and leaned back again, calmer as if the allure of a fortune was one she had long grown accustomed to having dangled before her. "Expect them to use every means at their disposal to remain in possession of the locket, and reacquire it once we have removed it from their clutches."

"I admit, the locket alone isn't sufficient proof to secure my claim, but it is a key piece of the evidence, and once I have it back in my possession I will be hunting for the other bits of proof necessary, a hunt that will require a ship, and a crew, and offer payment equitable to the risk, and a generous reward once my inheritance is properly reclaimed."

She tilted her head to fix the hyena with a piercing stare, cutting her off before she could again mention fees and haggle for hazard payment. "The payment is a lump sum." She held up a hand to forestall and protests on the groups part, her voice holding a warmer tone than before and she continued. "Further rewards will be made available from my personal vault, I have many trinkets, weapons, even a few starship components stored there, I am certain you will find something among my belongings that will serve as  adequate compensation."

She let out a relaxed sigh as she topped off her wine glass in practiced grace. "I will also be willing to offer my personal services, as an information broker and slicer* to all of you at a significant discount should you have need of them for private purposes."

*Slicer, a spacer term for computer hacker.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:41:09 PM by Elanor »

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 05:39:07 PM »
The hound lowered her ears in displeasure, the nebulous reward offered too uncertain for her liking, but seeing little alternative but acceptance, the promise of farther riches tantalizing, the brief hope of quality starship components making her pant slightly.

"It sounds like a fair enough offer, we can also scavenge from any of this mercenary company we trade gunfire with once the dust clears." She paused as another thought struck her. "This planet is known for alien ruins correct? Perhaps you may be able to direct us towards a site with some easy to excavate piece of technology? It would help off set ammo and medical expenses." She found herself warming to the woman, despite the obvious attempts at winning them over there was just something.. Trustworthy about her, an odd feeling that made Autumn briefly question her readiness to accept the woman terms before giving a satisfied nod and gazing over at her pack mates for confirmation.