llamaenterhear

Author Topic: Legends of the Lilarcor - A Barrel of Bastards  (Read 6381 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: Legends of the Lilarcor - A Barrel of Bastards
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 09:12:49 PM »
"Okay, barring someother type of e-int here, we are going to need to patch physically into one of their systems. And we need to do it without tipping our hands.

I would like to discuss these matters in a place more under our control.  I believe our ship would be such a location."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 09:29:47 PM »
Autumn nodded in agreement, "Let us relocate then, for the time being we have plenty of room on our ship so you can stay with us without sacrificing your privacy," She assured Elanor with toothy grin, rising to her hind paws and stretching. "We still need to find a replacement shuttle for our ship too, the fuel costs of flying it around everywhere is a bit much."

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor Elite Questor NPC Guild Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 07:47:56 AM »
And verily, they absconded to their vessel to elaborate and ponder further, but not before paying their tabs like the honest scoundrels they were.
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline Elanor

• The Laughing Fox
  • Apprentice
  • Elanor Reaper
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2014, 08:55:32 PM »
Elanor rose from the table and waved dismissively at the tab, "Covering dinner is the least I can do to show my appreciation." With a warm smile she followed them back to the Lilacor, the few pieces of luggage she had easily transported.

Once onboard she joined the rest of the crew in their lounge, sitting herself at the table and adjusting her holo projector to display any relevant intel in the center of the room. "Physically tapping into their system without arousing interest could be tricky, unless we conceal the action behind another, more obvious one." She smiled, a warm predatory smile of confidence.

"I propose a theft, hitting their warehouse and helping ourselves to the best it has to offer, and while there I can patch in a physical link to their systems, and upload a few tailored programs that should make any follow up actions on our part much easier, even jack us into their communications if it works as planned. Spartacus will notice the theft, and focus on what's been taken and watch the blackmarket for anyone attempting to offload their goods, it's unlikely they will even notice their computers been sliced until longer after were done with them."

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2014, 04:59:21 PM »
Autumn nodded after a moments consideration, the concept of a theft to cover up the computer bypass sounding doable, and the promise of extra stores of luxury goods one she found difficult to pass up. "Acquiring a replacement shuttle along the way would also be advisable, the Lilacor is neither subtle, nor fuel efficient,  and using it for an illicit activities will quickly flag it as a vessel of interest, something we should seek to avoid for as long as possible."

She nodded at the captain and waited for input from the rest of her pack mates on the plan, trusting Jerome's keen tactical insight would prove invaluable.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2014, 08:36:56 PM »
"We have to sell it completely. Any shred of suspicion would have them check their parameter. In fact, if the Admiral has a good hand on day to day operations, they will perform such a check.  They know your skills, correct? Then they will be on a lookout for them." Jerome looked thoughtful. 

"I'm not in the habit of assuming cooperation from my foe, I prefer to rig things so they have little choice in the matter.  I'm not quite sure how to force this the right way though.  Assuming they run at least normal checks, are you confident your tap will go unnoticed?"

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2015, 02:13:45 PM »
He thought some more.

"Okay, here's the thought.  They have your key. What are they expecting will happen or what do they want to do?  They apparently need you to find this wealth, since I doubt they are content simply to keep it away from you.  And the universe is a big place to hide, you could leave and never come back and they would be stuck with an expensive search over every square meter of this planet.

Or, they can wait for you to come to them. Maybe even _let_ you get the key so they can follow you and grab both you and the treasure at the same time.

So I smell a trap here. How can we turn it about on them, I wonder."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor Elite Questor NPC Guild Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2015, 03:42:50 PM »
Jerome's nose for traps was good - understandably so. Sometimes, all it takes is running over one mine to develop the feeling in the back of your head that tells you something unpleasant is about to get you.
While no tactician, Irina had been a diplomat, sometimes even a spy. She knew a trap when she saw one, too.
"Jerome, your assessment is likely correct - they will be poised to seize Eleanor either before she can reclaim her locket, or when she seeks to retrieve her stash."
Briefly, she listened to the hum of the reactor, thinking.
"I believe Eleanor is off their radar for now, though they will at least casually be monitoring traffic off-station; we might want to deprive them of the means to do so. Ideally, we should also find a way to disrupt their communications, so that our retrieval of the trinket goes unnoticed."

"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2015, 05:01:58 PM »
Autumn nodded at the idea, "If we can find a way to spike their coms satellite we could block select frequencies and monitor their movements, perhaps hear of their plans before they put them into action?" She suggested with a nod, "If they're mercs they probably have other rivals and contracts, interfering with those could also keep them preoccupied and divide their attention and forces."

Offline Elanor

• The Laughing Fox
  • Apprentice
  • Elanor Reaper
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2015, 09:01:05 PM »
"Any program I inject into their computers will be virtually undetectable for a time, as it exists in fragmentary code cycling through data buffers and will only become noticeable after it has reassembled, after which it's heuristic algorithms should keep it a few steps ahead of security I.C.E (Intrusion Countermeasure Executable) programs long enough for us to do what we need to," Elanor reassured Jerome with a nod, the concept of a trap one that had occurred to her as well.

"We could mislead them once I have the key, and make it appear that I am heading for a near by moon or other location of interest and lay a lethal surprise of our own?"

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2015, 09:28:44 AM »
"If we could spike the satellites before we attempted any physical intrusion, that would be the best - especially if said spiking let us inject the program Elanor mentions.  Is that even a possibility? "

At the comment of 'lethal surprise' Jerome's expression hardened slightly.  "I think we want to avoid any wetworks. Money is money, and blood is blood.  If we can pull this off quietly, you are more likely to ride off into the sunset with a lovely retirement fund.  If we mix it up with them, well, they know who you are and likely any allies of them do as well.  You would have a hard time enjoying your wealth with those guys having a blood feud with you. "

"So lets be clear here, is this a financial matter, or a matter of blood? Are you at war with these folks?"

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2015, 12:36:19 PM »
The approving look on Irina's and Sunny's faces told Jerome that they echoed his notion of not antagonizing the mercenary company beyond petty theft. There was a risk they'd get shot at anyways - and setting lethal booby-traps would increase this risk to a certainty.

Quan looked hence and forth between them, then chimed in: "If we were to lay a trap of our own, I'd go with one that has panache and style, and leaves the victim stranded yet alive - and makes him the butt of jokes, ideally. I know a guy, he nicked the boat of Talos' Falcons, and left them stuck on a backwater colony with dummy ammo. Suffice to say, they couldn't strong-arm the locals into taking care of them, and had to do honest work for three years to put food in their mouths."

Offline Elanor

• The Laughing Fox
  • Apprentice
  • Elanor Reaper
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2015, 08:14:35 PM »
Elanor nodded with a smile, this notion of  leaving her foes to leave with defeat holding a definite appeal. "I concur, a more detrimental trap would also force them to divert resources to get their companions out of whatever sticky situation we put them in." She paused and grinned as an idea occurred to her.

"I can place a sub routine into the data buffers when we spike their satellites that will trigger self diagnostics on all systems at random intervals until they get it wiped, which will take time, and force them to restore from hard copy backups in some areas, leaving their ships and tactical network largely non functional for a time, which will give us a nice window of opportunity to proceed as you see fit Jerome, perhaps along the way we can see about sabotaging any other targets of opportunity, perhaps venting stockpiles of fuel into space will slow them down, if we could acquire some of their uniforms and make it look as if some of their own people are betraying them, to the public anyway, it woudl darken their reputation and add insult to injury without accruing a body count."

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2015, 08:02:13 PM »
"A sound plan," Autumn agreed, "Killing people also has the unpleasant downside that they often have friends or family that seek revenge or can place sizable bounties on our heads, defeated by still living opponents are less troublesome."

She paused as her comment sparked an idea, "Perhaps some type of false newscast indicating some wanted person or other was visiting the system would spread their forces a bit thinner trying to search them out? I recall our former stowaway had a sizable bounty on her head before that drone blew it off, perhaps she would make a suitable choice for the rumor mill?"

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2015, 08:17:18 PM »
"Maybe.  They might not care, but it seems a low-cost effort.  We wouldn't happen to have any old footage of her on file do we? I'll check what security records I have from the 'Prize."

"We want subtle. If we can shut down their network as you say, than I'd rather hold that off to a more critical point in this job. Lets get in, quietly, put the monitor on their comms and see what we can learn.  If we can plant a trigger we can use later to fire off the wide disruption - that would be best."

"As much as a public spectacle could be fun, I really don't want them red alert everywhere when we don't know where we want to really hit them.  Once we know our physical target, THEN we @!#$ em up. Captain?"

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2015, 04:52:14 PM »
"I believe you have a clear vision of this operation, Jerome. Honestly speaking, I am no soldier, and hence the command is yours."
Jerome raised one eyebrow, but to his credit, only slightly and briefly.
The captain continued: "This model was used with good success rates throughout history - for example in ancient Rome, the Imperator took over in times of war, and the senate in times of peace. And, as we have each other's best interest at heart, we will avoid any Caesaresque incidents. Go get them, soldier."

She laid a hand on his shoulder, and gave him a firm squeeze.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2015, 12:35:07 PM »
A pause. 

"Right then.  I'll go dig for what we have on Minerva I believe it was."

Did we even bury her? Or is she still floating where we left her. Unanswered questions there.

"Lets get a worm or whatever," a slight smile at Elanor, "on a satellite. Get the shutdown 'bomb' in place and get us some intel.  Can we rig up a few relays to keep from directing the signals right back to our ship?"

"And failing that, can you get me a list of potential physical intrusion targets if the satellite spiking is not tenable."

"Irina, can we go over our sensor data carefully - I'm certain our old admiral here has a decent, large ship, stowed around here somewhere. Maybe a surplus frigate she pulled strings to acquire. "

He'd be checking his military contacts for the mercenaries principle members as well. Maybe his own network could turn up something of use.

"Autumn, Sunny, any thoughts?"

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2015, 03:11:26 PM »
"We'll need a shuttle to approach a satellite undetected, taking the Lilacor will likely be noticed by the satellites proximity sensors, not to mention it's large enough to be more readily visible than a shuttle, unless we plan on an extended EVA to spike it? Or can you uplink to it remotely and hack it Elanor?"

Offline Elanor

• The Laughing Fox
  • Apprentice
  • Elanor Reaper
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2015, 06:38:52 PM »
"In person would be totally undetectable, I could simply attach a few components to the sat manually and no one would be the wiser, remote access is possible, but depending on the software's firewall and ICE programs, it will take longer and they may detect the code injection." She smiled thoughtfully.

"I heard you mention you had business Dr. Kraljevic as I was approaching your table earlier? The man is a dealer of illicitly acquired alien goods with the morals of a Gorrotan Mud Shark, but no doubt has a shuttle or two you could convince him to part with during your initial dealings, or I could use his computer as a proxy to make my slicing of the satellite and other systems, that way in the unlikely event they do detect the attack they will be focused upon a false trail and spend precious time questioning the doctors reasons for spiking their system, time we can use to our advantage?" She smiled and looked over at Jerome. "You seem to be the military mastermind of Irina's crew, your thoughts on my suggestion?"

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2015, 08:30:11 PM »
"That seems like as good a place as any to get the shuttle, though I'd prefer an intermediary. Assuming you can get to the satellite undetected.  Your components better be light - even a few grams of mass can change its orbital dynamics, especially if they unbalance it.    I'll see if I can get some directional relays - proxies - put together for the mission.  Our own satellites if you will."

"Okay, lets get the shuttle sorted out."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Elanor

• The Laughing Fox
  • Apprentice
  • Elanor Reaper
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2015, 11:48:01 PM »
"Irina, you and your crew are the ones with business with the doctor, so let us pay him a visit then and I we shall play it by ear as the saying goes? Planning too much for something like this is often an exercise in frustration."

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2015, 07:41:56 AM »
Irina shrugged.
"The doctor has been taken by the Rust Scorpions according to your source - and his shuttle will likely be taken as well. I understand you do not wish to engage the Rust Scorpions at this time..."
Then, the amazon winked in a rather conspiring fashion: "We could abscond with one of the shuttles from the station. They are not all in use, due to red tape and the station's resource management officer, one Timur Sonker, being a horrible human being, an intolerable waste of space and generally an oxygen thief. We'll rig the dock controls to register the shuttle as docked, and can switch the IFF to register as the Lila's lost shuttle."

She placed a hand on Jerome's thigh under the table, then turned to him: "Of course, if this suggestion is alright with you, commander?"

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2015, 06:41:12 PM »
Autumn nodded in agreement, "It should be easy enough to pull off, once we have the shuttle Quan can fly you in range of the sat, and I can assist with any necessary by passes, most sats these days have some basic solar powered thrusters to do minor orbit correct so it should be able to compensate for any minor change in mass and velocity." She added, rising to her hand paws and stretching, eager to acquire the shuttle and set their plan in motion.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2015, 08:17:56 PM »
"Sounds good. We have a plan. Lets roll." He smiled briefly at Irina as he got up, momentarily self conscious on how little leg he actually had under the table.

"I'm going to check with some of my old friends to see what I can dig up on the principals here.  Elanor, if you have time, can you find out if any of the local chandlers have unexplained business. Big ships usually mean big crews, and they generally hate synthesized food."

Will check with his old contacts what they know about the mercenaries...

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Elanor

• The Laughing Fox
  • Apprentice
  • Elanor Reaper
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2015, 07:39:49 AM »
Elanor nodded and rose form the table herself, her mind busy with thoughts of how to best modify the enemy satellite and the other, more difficult tasks that lay ahead of them. "Now to see how well your crew lives up to their reputations." She told Irina with a smile.