llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The First Run  (Read 17650 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
Re: The First Run
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2011, 09:50:08 PM »
Quan waited a moment for the captain to step away. "Well I like him," he said with a satisfied nod. "Real iron of the core type, y'know? I think he's the real deal." He looked over at Jarven, giving him a friendly nudge. "And you guys seem alright yourselves. I really do think this'll be a fine operation." He quaffed back his drink. "Speaking of, anyone know exactly what we're in for? The advert wasn't real specific."

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Scottish wolf-&^%$@ with silver fangs
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Elite NPC Guild Questor 2012 Sub of the Year 2012 Location of the Year Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2011, 10:25:36 PM »
Autumn shook her head in a universal "no" quietly signaling with her paw to keep the volume level down. "Nothing as yet, but if fortune favors us I may be able to hear what the captain is conversing about and enlighten us all..." Her voice trailed off as she gave Quan a conspiratorial wink and angled her ears, focusing intently on the snippets of conversation  Yulo was having with his communicator.
"Lesbian gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Månlufsen (The Moon Bum)
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 5 2011 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2011, 11:00:29 PM »
With her keen hearing, Autumn is able to cut through most of the chatter. A few bursts of noise from the other patrons interfere with her hearing all of it.
Chosen of Aktagarti – Divine Synod Guild – Level 1
Might: 2 | Agility: 3 | Wits: 4 | Charm: 3 | Spirit: 4 | Power: 2

The old man, grey-haired, braid hanging down.
He is clothed in faded brown robes.
His craggy face is turned up, bathed in moonlight;
He looks for his goddess to smile upon him.

Offline Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Elite NPC Guild Questor 2012 Sub of the Year 2012 Location of the Year Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2011, 11:06:05 PM »
Autumn's ears flattened back as she pieced together the fragments of conversation, it sounded suspicious to put it mildly, but not suspicious enough to warrant any overt action on her part, yet...

"He's reporting to someone that we're all present, an unknown being clean for a while, the Havath system, and him receiving another call when it's done."

She gave the rest of her shipmates an uncertain glance, hoping they would have the good sense not to confront the man on his dealings without more evidence.

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2011, 11:07:13 PM »
Jarven twitched at Quan's touch. Irritation flashed across his face at the physical contact before settling down into a neutral expression.

"Uh... I guess. I dunno"

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2011, 05:21:36 AM »
Autumn's conspiring glance was an unnecessary tip for Helia - she certainly would not risk her ticket off station so easily.

"So - what do the rest of you think of him?" she inquired dispassionately.
Truth be said, she was baffled by the captain's behavior - his self-confidence and the way he seemed to fill a room with his presence were in no correlation to his apparent success or fitness, yet did not seem feigned. That show of importance and optimism was likewise genuine.
The focused intensiveness of her gaze as she studied him would have to be obvious to anyone around the table, and in contrast to her calm voice.
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2011, 09:45:52 AM »
Jerome studied his teammates - they seemed brighter then the typical lot he'd dealt with recently. Especially recently.

He kept quiet to not impede their attempts at subterfuge.

It was interesting to Jerome that their new captain would take a confidential call in a place with so many ears. So, it meant his new boss was stupid - possible but unlikely; did not care - possible; or _wanted_ people to here him - also possible.

Jerome sat back and carefully surveyed the room again, looking to see if the Capt'n had attracted any other 'ears'.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2011, 09:38:51 PM »
Quan peered at Autumn over the rim of his glass. "Well ain't that a thing," he murmured before his narrow black tongue thoughtfully collected the remainder of his beverage. He didn't much care for augments like her, gene-splicing and mechanical limbs and the like. He ran with spacers of an older way, who regarded such things as dishonorable and somehow unfair. Still, it was better to know something you could than not.

"I wouldn't worry 'bout it much," he said self-assuredly. "I've flown with far less stable captains than that. And they paid better, too!" He laughed as if he'd heard an old joke.

Ignoring with quiet Jarven, he turned his attention to the newcomer. "So Jerome," Quan said, placing the glass down and steepling his flat finger pads, "you're on cargo, huh? What kind of, ah, 'cargo' experience do you got?" He arched his hairless brow at the word, giving a look that he knew what that title really meant on runs like these.

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 09:45:47 AM »
At Quan's question, images flashed through his head, consoles, video feeds, explosions. Worse.

"I've had plenty, both kinds. Seen the elephant for sure." Oh yes, he saw the elephant.

"Most of its confidential, but I've seen action on three worlds.  Police actions."  Remember, the winner writes the history.

"Got me certifications in Cargo handling gear, logistics and planning, and other bulls**t, and a few runs I can't get into. Can also man a hardpoint if it comes to that.  How about yourself?"

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2011, 01:06:31 PM »
Yulo finished his call and headed back to the table. A few of the other patrons called out in greeting, slowing his progress.

H'lassta set about serving the food. Quan's dish appeared to be some sort of tentacled fish-like thing in a dark sauce with a mass of noodles heaped to the side. The pungent smell of spices reached his nose, making it tickle.

Three plates went to Jarven and he dug in without hesitation.

Once back, Yulo placed a pitcher of foaming black brew in the center of the table.

"Sorry for stepping away like that; still finalizing some of the details on the cargo. Now, I hope you don't mind, but I ordered a pitcher of Viss'tak. A hardy brew. Drink up!"

Yulo set into his own dish with vigor, stopping now and then to speak.

"I'm sure you have a lot of questions and I'll do my best to fill you in on the details.

"First, let me break the ice with a story of my youth.

"I crewed on a corporate line back when I first earned my piloting certs. The Assyr, I believe it was. I, and a good buddy of mine named Terence, used to terrorize the shift leader. We were both creative types feeling stifled by all the red tape and strict chain of command. Our shift leader was this German fellow, a right prick who'd yell at us for the slightest infraction. Now, Terence and I both knew a little German. Not much, but enough to thoroughly butcher the language when we set our minds to it.

"Whenever this fellow came in range, we'd start talking to each other in this horrid blend of English and our limited German vocab. We made sure to mispronounce all the words and to mangle them as much as possible. It wouldn't have been quite so fun if the man wasn't such a perfectionist. You could actually see him cringe with every word we spoke.

"The day finally came when we pushed him a little too far. I believe we were waxing poetic on the topic of mothers. His face turned this beautiful reddish-purple color and he began screaming at us. I think he cuffed Terence, but the memory is a bit fuzzy.

"When he finally ran out of invectives to spew at us, he finished it by yelling at us, 'Geh zur hölle!', or 'Go to hell!'

"Without skipping a beat, Terence says, 'Don't you mean geh zur hollen, sir?'

"I can tell you, the three of us were separated by force. Terence and I left the ship at the next port.

"It became a joke between us until our careers took us on different paths.

"When I had a chance to get my own ship, I knew right away what to name it. Hell's Prize. Because Hell is the only thing that could take my pride and joy away from me. And because I wanted to remember to keep my sense of humor. I'm a firm captain but if I ever forget my roots, I hope to be spaced.

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2011, 03:21:37 PM »
"Now," Yulo said, rubbing his hands together. "Down to business."

The carcass of his haglin is naught but bones and charred skin. He downed the last of his third glass of Viss'tak and wiped the foam from his lips.

"The Hollen's Prize is a tramp freighter. We fill an important need in this part of space. The Core systems have all the corporate freight lines they can handle. No room for independents like us. But in the Outer Rim, we are always needed.

"The cargoes we haul will not be glamorous. Today it is farming equipment for the Rinea system. Next time it will likely be computer components or vehicles and engine parts. Medical supplies if we're lucky.

"Our margins are high. Folks that far cut off from the Core are willing to pay a premium for the stuff we get them.

"But those margins come with a risk. The reason the corporate freight lines steer clear of the Rim is because it is fraught with danger. Pirates and Klandatha being two of the most notable.

"Good crew are hard to come by. I need crew skilled enough to handle the ship and mean enough to push through the rough parts.

"I know the pay seems low for what I ask. Hells bells, it is low. But on top of that, you'll each get 6% of the profits. Think of it as motivation for keeping my livelihood safe.

"The last few months have treated me with good fortune. So much so that my last crew was able to retire on their share of the profits. I could have done the same, but I couldn't bear to give up my ship. So I spent my portion on fixing her up and now I find myself in need of a fresh crew.

"I like what I see before me. I think you will all work out wonderfully. And, who knows, if my luck holds out, you may find yourselves retiring sooner than you expect."

Offline Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2011, 04:40:26 PM »
Autumn listened to the mans story while idly lapping her second mug of Viss'tak, her tail twitching slowly in time to the movements of her tongue. He sounded sincere enough, but she inwardly doubted his former crew conveniently retired from their share of the profits, unless it was the permanent kind with a black casket and one way ticket to a star.

"Your former crew retied hmm? Who were they? I might've heard of them in passing, good fortunes like theirs is sure to have made the vids and rumor mill rounds a few times." She was careful to inject her inquiry with as much genuine curiosity as possible, so as not to raise suspicion in her new found employer.

She leaned back a bit, picking with a claw at a stubborn bit of food left between her fangs, thinking about his offer of 6% before replying. "The rim is full of a lot of risks, and the initial pay is below what I'm pleased with for taking those risks. Ten percent of the profits, or a generous hazard pay clause added to the contract would make things feel more..." She paused for a moment searching for the correct word before choosing one that didn;t sound too ambitious. "Worthwhile."

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2011, 04:54:28 PM »
Yulo smiled broadly at Autumn. "Inquisitive. Good.

"My old crew were a close-lipped bunch, I can assure you. One of the things that will be in your contracts, as well. You see, I have access to certain channels that help me find the best markets, and I don't intend to share that information with any of my competitors.

"As for hazard pay, we could probably work something out. The 6% is non-negotiable. I'm giving up almost a third of my profits on that. You won't see such generosity anywhere else, I assure you."

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2011, 05:12:59 PM »
Quan ate the dish with vigor, helping himself to a tall mug of the Viss'tak. He laughed at the right times of the captain's story, if a little heartier than he should've, slapping an open palm against the table for emphasis here and there and elbowing poor Jarven as though to make sure he was in on the joke.

He thoughtfully chewed on the final rubbery tentacle of his meal as Queren finished his details. He pointed at the captain. "I like your angle here, Cap. Give 'em Out Rim folk what they need and make 'em pay for it. I've flown Outer plenty of times myself, come to like the place here and again." He scratched at his exposed tympanum, pausing to put his thoughts to word. "Thing about folks out there is that they've all got their own ways of paying. I've seen credits, chits, uranium - hell, I saw a guy get paid with a flock-a chickens once!" Quan sniggered, elbowing Jarven again before shaking his head. "Well, you know what I'm gettin' at," he said gesturing widely. "How're we keeping up with what's what with pay? I don't mind six percent of credits, but if I'm getting six percent of fins of figs or what have you, that's not, y'know..." He took a long pause and shrugged.

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Offline Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2011, 05:20:37 PM »
Autumn gave him another toothy smile at his assurance of hazard pay being worked out,  extra pay for extra risk, something she was sure there'd be plenty of this far out on the rim.

She nodded in acknowledgement to the confidentiality clause, it was standard fare for more traders who wished to keep profitable routes to themselves, and of little concern to her; such complicated matters she was happy to leave to the captain, her duties were complex enough.

"Another small inquiry captain, will we have our own private quarters or sharing rooms during our time aboard?" She briefly wondered about the quality of the food before catching another eyeful of Yulo's extra padding around his midriff. One didn't get that large by eating ration packs and reconstituted soy, that's for sure.

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2011, 05:30:29 PM »
"Excellent question, Quan. Pay will be in credits, receivable upon your return to Starport Ghestree. You won't have many opportunities to spend while we're away, anyway. Except while we're on Rinea, of course, and if you wish to draw upon your pay while there, you may do so. Credits don't mean much out in the Rim, but I can supply you with the appropriate currency."

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2011, 06:02:43 PM »
"The privacy question is a relevant one, though" Helia finally chipped in. "I would very much welcome a certain degree of seclusion for myself and my medical instruments."
Not to mention that some of my samples could kill the whole crew and anyone else who opened his suit while on the ship for the next few years.
She did not add the last sentence.

"But as for pay, I can work with what you offer" she nodded.
"Of course, if I do not have to buy medicines for all out of my own pay."
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2011, 06:17:03 PM »
Jerome waited for a pause in the discussion to interject. Money, while important, was secondary to other thoughts.

"I'll need to see what equipment you have to deal with those threats you speak of. I'll expect our freighter to have some teeth if I'm going to trust my skin to it."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2011, 06:35:26 PM »
"You will each have your own quarters. They are small units, but I've found that it cuts down on disputes. The crew space aboard the Hollen's Prize is limited and the hours are long. It's best if everyone has a space that is inviolate. To everyone, including me. I will not invade the personal space of any crew member unless the ship is in critical danger and I expect the rest of you to do the same.

"As for medicines, she should be stocked already but I'll rely on your word about that when you board tomorrow.

"The ship herself has been outfitted with a few laser batteries, enough firepower to disinterest most nuisances, and the hull is soundly reinforced. I've upgraded the powerplant and the drives, but fully loaded with cargo she won't be able to outrun much.

"If we're boarded, the smaller spaces will work in our favor; it'll be d**ned difficult for them to overwhelm us.

"I've been working the Rim for years now and there's a trick to being aware of when a place feels wrong. My instincts haven't failed me yet."

Offline Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2011, 06:41:53 PM »
Autumn listened with a keen ear, keeping an eye on the crowd to see if any of them were taking an above average notice of the crews public meeting. She knew from painful experience  many would be pirates often frequented such establishments hoping to overhear  a ships next route, or of any vulnerabilities it may have.

"Speaking of weaponry, what of the small arms locker on board and our personal offensive equipment?" She dropped a paw to caress her holstered hand cannon affectionately. "Are we allowed to keep our own arms while onboard or are they all to be secured in the armory?"
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 06:49:51 PM by Silveressa »

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2011, 07:43:09 PM »
"You are each responsible for your own actions. As long as you don't shoot each other or endanger the ship, you are free to do as you please. Jerome will be in charge of all other arms."

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2011, 10:09:49 PM »
"While we're on it, think I could get a look at the ship's specs before we board?" Quan asked. "I can fly most anything, but I'd like to know what's behind the manifold before takeoff."

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Offline Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2011, 10:42:55 PM »
Autumn rose to her hind paws and stretched, sensing the meeting had just about run its course. "Unless there's anything further I'll be retiring to my station quarters for the reminder of the eve and enjoy one last taste of the pleasures this facility has to offer."

She gave Helia a warm smile, Jerome and Quan a friendly nod, and the captain receiving a firm grasp on the shoulder, the proper method of saying farewell to ones immediate superior by her kind. "One last thing Captain, the dock number and departure time?"
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:03:34 AM by Silveressa »

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2011, 08:48:45 AM »
"I'd very much welcome being able to stay at the ship already, the station holds little appeal for me."
Plus, you don't get seen as much holed up in a freighter.
"It is necessary to evaluate the state of your medical equipment anyway, and this will give me enough time to do a thorough inventory before we depart."

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2011, 09:47:59 AM »
"Before you leave, I'd like each of you to take a quick look over your contracts. Everything I've gone over is in there, just in legal terminology. There's a standard liability waiver included; just boilerplate stuff. I'll make an amendment about hazard pay before you sign, of course, but I'd like to make sure everything looks to be in order before we break for the evening.

"I'll put together some info about the ship and send it out before morning."

Yulo retrieved his datapad from a coat pocket and made some notations. As he did so, each crew member received a message containing the contract and liability waiver. The details stating in verbose legalese the same points Yulo had already outlined, along with standard contract fair.

"Any of you are welcome to stay on the ship tonight. Encouraged, really. The more familiar you are with her the better off we'll all be. First, though, I'm having some last minute detailing done and need the ship cleared until the work's finished. They'll buzz me once they're finished, which shouldn't be much longer.

"As it stands, I'm very pleased with what I see before me now. I think you'll all make a fine crew and I look forward to leaving behind all this oppressive civilization for the freedom of open space."