llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: A Fast Exit  (Read 8122 times)

MysticMoon and 2 Barbarians in a Horde are spying on this topic.

Offline Gossamer

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Status Quo is the DEVIL
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 2013 Newbie of the Year 2013 Best Play By Post Player
    • Awards
Re: A Fast Exit
« Reply #175 on: Yesterday at 07:50:29 AM »
"She's as naked as a jaybird, though I'll keep my peepers peeled for dog-tags if there are any. Though right now, I'm more concerned with What she is, rather than Who."

Sunny hoisted the limp body onto her shoulder, meanwhile looking around for dog-tags. Unless she's denser than she looks in which case, I'll try dragging. (14:37:05) Minion: Gossamer rullar 1d100 och får 5. (14:37:56) Minion: Gossamer rullar 1d100 och får 83. The first roll is for hoisting her, unless I don't need to roll for that in which case I'll use that one for dog-tag looking, otherwise I guess I missed them.

"I'll be in med-bay, I need to run some samples before and If I'll let sleeping beauty here say nica ta meetcha."

-

Once in med-bay, Sunny put the girl on a slab and looked around for additional tools and supplies she could use, she probably had all she needed for a simple sample, but it never hurt to have extra stuff. (14:47:37) Minion: Gossamer rullar 1d100 och får 45. Hope that's enough.
Samotny Osovjaltek - Dwarven Guild – Level 1
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Online valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #176 on: Today at 07:19:57 AM »
"Got the wrist comp, checking it out."

He picked up a suit repair kit among the debris, and shuddered inwardly from the damage.  He knew all about traumatic injuries,having first hand experience with them. It reminded him to turn down his O2.  He had been getting light-headed but had hardly noticed it.   He took the lase gun and spice, and what wrist comps seemed serviceable.

09:26:47) Minion: valadaar rolls 1d100 and gets 87.
Skill - Robotic Systems Engineering: 65%

« Last Edit: Today at 07:27:46 AM by valadaar »

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Journeyman
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: Today at 07:55:45 AM »
Autumn snarled at the tingling sensation that still coursed through her body and set her fur on end, the blown primary capacitor still smoking furiously in front of her. if not for my suit I'd have been fried, d**n micro fractures! Apparently the system suffered a surge before someone sliced the cables, figures.

"Stand by for gravity re-initialization." She said over the com, grateful the power surge hadn't fried her suits electronics completely. She braced herself and slowly returned the gravity to normal over the course of several seconds, hoping it wouldn't interrupt the rest of her crews activities at such a gradual power up.

The clicking of the intercom drew her attention, thumbing the button and giving the chimera her best professional look. "Repairs underway captain, gravity online, still working on other systems, please withdraw yourself and other personnel to the crew quarters for safety purposes in the event of feedback or system failures." She turned off the com and switched back to the private channel, "I'll have central control running soon, but I'm going to need your medical services after, Sunny I'm... Not in the best of shape." She clicked off the com and resumed work, choosing to ignore the faint mist of blood from her nostrils hazing the tip of her helmet with every breath.

Work now, rest when I'm dead, if we don't get off this ship soon there won't be a later to worry about.

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor Elite Questor NPC Guild Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #178 on: Today at 09:55:54 AM »
The thrice-accursed cables were busted, the whole insulated bundle, by a remotely-detonated micro bomb. Sabotage on a professional level, Autumn had to nod. She hummed as she played Cinderella, picking out the right cable from between the cinders, patching it with a salvaged one.

Occasionally, she heard scratching and the tip-tap of clawed feet from the ducts. Some smaller alien apparently called the ventilation system its home. At least the Capt'n didn't fit inside.

Finally, with a satisfying hum, gravity went online as a minimal graviton sheath was erected above and below the ship. A cacophony of noises filled the vessel as all the loose items clattered to the ground. The landlubbers amongst the crew rejoiced as gravity's familiar embrace welcomed them back to the feet.

Whistling, Autumn strolled over to the other damaged power line. The connection to the bridge was redundant - except for this one node.
Over her shoulder, she noticed a dark shadow creeping along the walkway just at the edge of darkness, she heard the skitter and the clicking of the impacting claws, saw the flicker of a cluster of yellow eyes.
As long as it kept its distance, everything was excellent.

The same charge had blown the cable, and with tried motions, she proceeded to re-connect the wiring.
A screen flickered on, with the recording of a young woman in a knitted viking helmet with knitted rusty beard appearing, and playfully mocking: "Did the evil Red Viking blow your precious cable? Well, he has something in store for you too!"

Drat.

Autumn had a brief moment to recoil before a blast sent her flying, her suit on fire, breath knocked out.
Stop. Drop. Roll. Do not die.

It worked, but the wiring was a disaster. That would take some time... but hopefully, no more booby traps would join the fun. Diligently, she examined the entire wiring for other surprises before proceeding. Work, work. "Guys, this will take some time, but I'll manage."

The shadow lurked just around the corner, peeking whenever it thought she wasn't looking, its sibilant breaths in tune with the sizzling of Autumn's welder. Occasional flashes of light from behind it cast a long, predatory, spiked contour across the opposite wall.

Sunny half-dragged, half-carried the first mate to the infirmary; she was no weakling, but the girl was heavy. Good bone structure, some serious muscle. Thanks for turning on the gravity, Autumn!

A slipping could be heard between her steps and laboured breath, as if plastic was being dragged across the carpet. She shuddered when she felt the presence, waiting, looking. It was close. Out of the corner of her vision, she could make out a sleek serpentine shape, and four-eyed reptilian heads; the mantis-like razor blades slowly closed and opened, as if reminiscing about decapitating, mutilating and a hundred ways to inflict injury.
It stayed close, a few yards, yet left Helia to pass.
Then, the creature hovered in the infirmary's door, eying whatever she did. A shape passed the camera on the other side. Great, there were two.

Slowly, Helia placed Irina in the scanner, and let the metal ring run along the body. The threat emanating from the many-headed creature was almost palpable.
As she took a blood sample, she could feel it drawing closer, hovering over her.
Do not look, show no fear, do not quiver, don't get near.

Ever so slowly, she withdrew the needle, and placed one of the samples under the microscope, the other in the sequencer.
Slick sounds made her aware of the beast's activity. It was licking the first mate clean. Excellent.

Shrugging, she turned back to the results. Fascinating.
First of all, the blood - the woman's red blood cells were normal enough; her white blood cells showed amorphous organelle-rich macrophage-like types in addition to the usual crew. Helia saw them moving through the sample, briefly touching the other cells, ever restless. Whatever their purpose was?

The sequencer confirmed her assumptions - there were genetic sequences from at least four individuals present in the sample; strange that the chimeric body hasn't eaten itself apart yet. Most importantly, also abundant unknown sequences were detectable, bearing only low homology to Earth's organisms. Quite much DNA, actually. Her professional interest was piqued as she studied the tense creature behind her. Perhaps she should get a sample from one of the three dead critters?

Finally, the tomographic scan revealed the high bone density she had previously felt, along with discreet marks along the bones where they had, according to her estimate, been separated and re-joined. The rest was human - except for a long organ reaching from the head down the neck, through the mediastinum to the retroperitoneum, its borders ill-defined, telling of its thorough interconnection with the surrounding tissue.

Irina dreamed.

(to be continued)
« Last Edit: Today at 10:25:58 AM by EchoMirage »
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)