llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Legends of the Lilarcor - A Barrel of Bastards  (Read 4086 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor Elite Questor NPC Guild Golden Creator
    • Awards
Legends of the Lilarcor - A Barrel of Bastards
« on: June 27, 2014, 03:44:55 AM »
Chapter two starts in a cantina aboard a space station orbiting the relic planet Sindar, home to miners, scavengers and raiders vying for the planet's riches.

An employer has negotiated a contract with Irina, by which you will gain a useful sum for your trouble - and there may be opportunity to ditch other wares as well, and follow up on the conspiracy that led to the explosion aboard the Prize. Ah, the wonder's of civilization!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:41:29 PM by EchoMirage »
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor Elite Questor NPC Guild Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: Legends of the Lilarcor - A Barrel of Bastards
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 09:30:19 PM »
Shadows rested in the corners of the Rascal Reaver in undisturbed layers. The brass-and-wood bar with scarlet pillows sought to resurrect the atmosphere of ages past and to provide a discreet ambiente to patrons regardless of their occupation.
The structure was a convoluted assembly of narrow rooms and curtained alcoves, spreading akin to the web of a bar-tending spider through the depths of Argus station. It was impossible to overlook the entirety of the winding establishment from any point inside, and the countless exits allowed patrons to come and go as they would.

The most imposing figure was certainly Thronstahl, who kept the pawnshop and private bank associated with the bar; the Bjorndahl towered even behind his massive wooden desk, as you would expect of a saber-tooth bear.
The proprietor was an entirely different entity. Madame Jacqueline was a worldly woman of a peculiar presence, the sort of charm that a cask of priceless whiskey exudes. Legs long as the endless light years between suns, she wore gowns of red and black upon her white fur, the long rabbit ears adorned with a small fortune in gold. The most striking feature were her eyes, deep and dangerous and conspiring at the same time, giving the impression that she didn't care for the world, but you were the one person to receive special treatment. It was her who made the Reaver a neutral ground on the fringe of space. No one dreamed of starting violence at her bar - the crime syndicates and warlords of the Fringe would make sure he suffered.

A purple-haired waitress in a black-blue jumpsuit that flattered her tight figure placed drinks and proper food upon their table, real pork and real beer, courtesy of the extensive agricultural complexes of the frontier station. You had to be self-sufficient in these parts; even the tax collectors didn't come every year. It might have something to do with the natives' tendency to space them, though.
"Miss Eleanor sends her regards; she will arrive within the hour" she chirped, batting her silver-shadowed eyes, and proceeding further.

Below on stage, on classical instruments, a quartet plied its trade, the young women engrossed in the performance, the soft notes wiping away the murmur drifting between the tables, bestowing privacy and a wistful note.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tABGeAcga-M

The erstwhile crew of the Hollen's paged through what they had pulled from Yulo's and Cherenkov's logs, while waiting for their contact. Their niche was cozy, hidden from sight, perfect for clandestine talk.

"I'd bet, not money but just being right, that Cherenkov's contact for the Spice is on Skyline. Look, this mister Flow plays pretty secretive, while the way his messages are misphrased speaks volumes about a Spice habit. A sordid tale of a man eating his merchandize. The goods are late, the mob will be nervous, but the money may be good" Quan assessed confidently, grinning from ear to ear.
"While less adventurous, old Cherenkov had a route to deliver the mundane merchandise planned out, one of them is a group of miners here on Sindar, a short trip down the gravity well."
Irina pondered, then finally opened up about her thoughts: "Cherenkov has been tracking someone from Sindar to the Desdemona; I have reason to believe it was the Daedalus. She figures in some travel logs on his file. There's also quite the file on some Dr. Kraljevic, and that's too professionally compiled to be the work of old Cherry. A xenoarcheologist of some kind, with a penchant for expeditions to the Fringe."

Jerome poked the touchscreen with a frown: "And what about this Carter character? He pops up in both Yulo's and Cherenkov's logs, and sent Yulo two messages recently. One's holds the coordinates to Severus, and one, more recent, is Sindar here, a spot on the northern hemisphere. I detest the shady bastard already."

"I hope you will find me more to your liking" a red haired, slender woman of almost feline grace with sparking silver eyes interjected. The natural human beauty, symmetrical features, milky skin and large sensitive eye (the other had a patch) re-kindled old memories in Jerome. He smiled, for the young woman did not display any attempts at extravagant body modification, well aware of the generosity of nature towards her.
"I took the liberty of discussing an engagement with your captain. You see, someone has taken what is mine, and I would have it back."
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 06:34:41 PM »
"Cherenkov has been tracking someone from Sindar to the Desdemona; I have reason to believe it was the Daedalus. She figures in some travel logs on his file. There's also quite the file on some Dr. Kraljevic, and that's too professionally compiled to be the work of old Cherry. A xenoarcheologist of some kind, with a penchant for expeditions to the Fringe."

Autumn nodded, "No doubt he's the one that sponsored the expedition to the Kotiri home world, then hired Yulo to find out what went wrong when they failed to report back in." She leaned back slightly thinking. "It be a worthy investment of time to track him down and impress upon him the need to remove the Kotiri home world from his data banks and forget it ever existed."

Autumn turned as the woman approached the table, her nose catching her scent a half second before she spoke. "Sit and tell us what has been taken and by whom, then we can discuss what help or leverage we can provide to see its expedient return."

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 07:20:17 PM »
Jerome paused a second. "Yes, please, Let's hear your story Miss Eleanor."

Jerome was wearing his 'civiy' legs.  Articulated feet, fully fleshed and even heated to normal body temperature.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Elanor

• The Laughing Fox
  • Apprentice
  • Elanor Reaper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 01:30:29 AM »
With a pleased smile she settled to the near by vacant seat, warmly offering a "Thanks" Before speaking, her voice like liquid silk. "What was taken from me is a simple piece of jewelry, a broach of sun platinum and encrusted with star rubies, a picture of my birth mother lays within." She closed her eyes momentarily, as if remembering its image before continuing.

"It was... Taken from me, during a.. altercation between myself and an opposing party, the Archdeacon corporation, you may have heard of them? One of it's subsidiaries to be more precise, Spartacus Company, little more than hired thugs posing as legitimate mercenaries." She waved a hand dismissively at the clarification, pausing to sip at a glass of wine and let the pulse of dramatic silence take hold.

"The specifics of how it was lost really aren't that important, what matters is the locket is within their possession, and I require your aid in recovering it." She smiled and make momentary eye contact with each of them, holding Jerome's gaze a second longer than the others, her eyes twinkling with a spark of interest. "Think of this as your audition, impress on this task and a more complicated, and much higher paying job will be yours for the undertaking after." She leaned back in her seat and awaited the expected barrage of questions with an air of confidence, an unspoken certainty in her body language the people surrounding her was without a doubt the perfect, nay, the only ones for the job in question.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 09:31:04 AM »
Seemed a whole lotta bother for a piece of jewelry, however sentimental.  Certainly it held additional value, and the rival knew that. What would be worth getting kinetic over?

"Any reason why they won't have melted it down and sold the jewels separately?"

The whys lead to hows. Tactical details would come eventually, but Jerome wanted to know what they were getting into.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 01:11:20 PM »
Sunny smiled and nodded at Jerome's comment, her red mane slipping forward to come to rest upon her chest, unbraided, held together just by her head-tendrils. Her thoughts had followed a similar course. "It might be wise to tell us any special needs regarding the handling of the jewel - such as 'do not expose to EMP', honey." The doctor then paused briefly, noting: "I guess my old CDAs no longer apply? Regardless, I know of Archdeacon - we have designed some bioroids for them. Very focused on kalokagathia, callipygean as well, but not too subtle."
The doctor shrugged then, leaning back and unfurling the tendrils, and giving others space in the discussion.

The bouquet of perfume, incense and heavy red wine gave the air a peculiar note, and Eleanor examined the captain in the dimmed light.
They had met, officially, when she had been with the Rust Scorpions, and Irina Cherenkov's first mate. The erstwhile captain knew well how to fence alien artifacts and 'ancient native art' - any piece of junk which was too badly beaten up to earn solid coin otherwise.
While the Lilarcor was definitely Cherenkov's ship, none of the original crew save Irina were around. She made a mental note, for smuggler crews don't just vanish for no good reason.
What Irina didn't know was that Eleanor had seen her before, during a corporate reception. It was quite a steep drop from diplomatic attache of the Republic of Arkona to smuggler, but Eleanor knew well of highs and lows herself. It paid well though, it seemed - Irina had been of a more slender frame back then, and the mods to turn her into this amazon couldn't have been cheap.

The captain then spoke, her face inscrutable: "Eleanor and I go some time back; we haven't ever had any conflict regarding payments. For this introductory job, she has promised us a thousand two hundred Nuyen - enough to fill the Lila up, and run minor repairs. But, I am certain that she wouldn't have contacted me without something more substantial being in the works."
There was something unfamiliar in Irina's gaze however, as if she studied Eleanor intensely, albeit with strange detachment. To what purpose, she could not tell, but she briefly felt as a hare in an open field.

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 02:45:17 PM »
The hound listened to the sales pitch with curiosity, leaning forward to scent the woman, and getting only nostrils full of perfume for her efforts, the offered amount promising either a so called milk run, or a test of their business acumen. "I trust that pay is twelve hundred nuyen a piece, given mercenary companies usually require more leverage than a kind word and drawn pistol." She smiled and gestured to her comrades, "We are not opposed to risk, but prefer the reward be worth weighing our lives against, not to mention the jewel in question is no doubt worth ten or a hundred times the offered fee."

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 02:55:45 PM »
"I didn't ask my question in concerns with payment. I asked to get a feel for how earnest our opposition would be. And I would still like an answer." Jerome smiled.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Elanor

• The Laughing Fox
  • Apprentice
  • Elanor Reaper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 03:29:19 PM »
Elanor closed her eyes briefly and smiled, the body language of the group and line of questions indicating interest, suspicion, and the expected haggling that only a confident group would attempt. Perfect. "You are every bit as keen as Irina assured me, although I did find her old crew had a certain mercantile drive that made them more easy motivated, but they lacked your sense of... Panache." She smiled again favoring the captain with a piercing gaze as she referenced her former crew, such spacers didn't vanish quietly into the black without a fight, and often left behind loose ends and questions in their wake.

She took a breath and leaned forward, lowering her voice slightly and slowly tracing a pattern on the tablecloth with an index finger as she spoke. "The locket in question is, as you have surmised, more than a simple chunk of jewelry, it also contains a genetic sample of my mother, ironclad proof I am indeed her daughter, but also the bio coded access to my personal vault out in the dust wastes." She gestured behind the table and to the left indicating the untamed expanse beyond the starport.

"Spartacus knows well what they have, and it's value exceeds that of the stones that accent it's surface, it's both a key to my personal rainy day funds, and proof of my claim to a family inheritance, one that could purchase the vessel you call home a hundred thousand times over, at least." She shrugged and leaned back again, calmer as if the allure of a fortune was one she had long grown accustomed to having dangled before her. "Expect them to use every means at their disposal to remain in possession of the locket, and reacquire it once we have removed it from their clutches."

"I admit, the locket alone isn't sufficient proof to secure my claim, but it is a key piece of the evidence, and once I have it back in my possession I will be hunting for the other bits of proof necessary, a hunt that will require a ship, and a crew, and offer payment equitable to the risk, and a generous reward once my inheritance is properly reclaimed."

She tilted her head to fix the hyena with a piercing stare, cutting her off before she could again mention fees and haggle for hazard payment. "The payment is a lump sum." She held up a hand to forestall and protests on the groups part, her voice holding a warmer tone than before and she continued. "Further rewards will be made available from my personal vault, I have many trinkets, weapons, even a few starship components stored there, I am certain you will find something among my belongings that will serve as  adequate compensation."

She let out a relaxed sigh as she topped off her wine glass in practiced grace. "I will also be willing to offer my personal services, as an information broker and slicer* to all of you at a significant discount should you have need of them for private purposes."

*Slicer, a spacer term for computer hacker.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:41:09 PM by Elanor »

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 05:39:07 PM »
The hound lowered her ears in displeasure, the nebulous reward offered too uncertain for her liking, but seeing little alternative but acceptance, the promise of farther riches tantalizing, the brief hope of quality starship components making her pant slightly.

"It sounds like a fair enough offer, we can also scavenge from any of this mercenary company we trade gunfire with once the dust clears." She paused as another thought struck her. "This planet is known for alien ruins correct? Perhaps you may be able to direct us towards a site with some easy to excavate piece of technology? It would help off set ammo and medical expenses." She found herself warming to the woman, despite the obvious attempts at winning them over there was just something.. Trustworthy about her, an odd feeling that made Autumn briefly question her readiness to accept the woman terms before giving a satisfied nod and gazing over at her pack mates for confirmation.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 10:34:19 AM »
Jerome left further issues of payment with the captain, and Autumn on local digs.  "We'll need to see everything you have on the opposition and potential defenses. I assume they are unaware of its secondary purpose in securing part of your personal fortune."

"Also, is there any reason they have not moved against you directly? With whats at stake, that seems surprising."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 12:26:02 PM »
Quan was busy winking at Eleanor and flashing her a smile and a thumbs up when the attention of the others was focused on their charming client.
The captain though studied her during her explanation, and likewise her reactions to the crew's interjections, with a faint smile, infinite patience, and unreadable features. Finally, she interjected, postulating more than asking:
"I am certain she did not offer more for the job because she is strapped for cash. For all the potential assets that might be hers, Eleanor cannot access any of them now. Given that she is looking for mercenaries, I understand that the Rust Scorpions will not help either. Is that right, my dear?"
She did not really need to wait for an answer, and proceeded: "Why they haven't moved against her may have two reasons: she's a difficult bird to catch, and they may not really know what they have - or where the vault is located. But we can be certain that they will be looking for her to shed a light into the mystery of the amulet - and looking to get vengeance for their fellows. What, do you want to tell me you haven't roughed up a single of their fellows? That would be a disappointment."

"Regardless, we will take the job - and we have preliminary interest in the second part. Just keep one in mind: I know that the richest people are usually the ones most reluctant to pay up. So, I advise against forgetting us when you become wealthy - I, for one, will not let any of my charges go... hungry."

Relaxed, the captain leaned forward, smiling cordially, her muscular arm stretched out across the table towards Eleanor. "Deal?"

Offline Elanor

• The Laughing Fox
  • Apprentice
  • Elanor Reaper
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 07:59:09 PM »
She smiled back at Quan, the desiring stare one she had long since grown used to from single, and sometimes not so single individuals over the years, Irina's commentary and extended hand forestalling her reply to Jerome's questions.

With a curt nod she reached out and took Irina's hand, gripping it a good deal more firmly than was really necessary, the uncalled for dig about her available funds, loss of allies, and further threat of payment slights she made a mental note to repay in full when the opportunity presented itself.

Outwardly she smiled, a colder more predatory acknowledgement, meeting the woman's gaze directly, "Rather an interesting crew you're running with these days, quite the leap from being Captain Cherenkov's sophomoric subordinate to commander of the entire vessel, minus the entirety of its original crew I might add." She paused to let the observation sink in for a moment. "Now here you are with new companions and a host of pricey gene enhancements; everything mother nature skimped on is yours now is it?"

She shot a glance at the rest of the crew, her silken smile returning. "I do hope your own reputations and personal integrity are better than your captains former shipmates, they weren't the most reliable, or upstanding sorts, you might say, the types you wouldn't trust to have at your back when the proverbial fecal matter hits the propellers."

She turned to lock gazes with Jerome once more,  he seemed more focused, and deliberate in his choice of words, a professional, she could respect that. "I will have the files transferred to your data slate within the hour," She promised him, leaning back calmly. "As for what they do or do not know about my locket, that really is of little importance, and they have already began to move against me, my residence is under surveillance, and my vehicle wired with a tracker, they are still likely following it as it meanders aimlessly through downtown traffic." She waved a hand dismissively."

"In short they are a small mercenary company, roughly 300 members at most, and spread out across the planet, and near by moons running multiple contracts. My suggested course of action is for us to pick one of their strongholds and infiltrate it, acquire com frequency and decryption codes  as well as slice their systems and find where they are keeping the locket, then move to acquire it, but I leave the specifics in your capable hands, it is what I am paying you for after all."

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 10:46:30 AM »
"I look forward to reviewing your data.  Your initial suggestion sounds like a good start.  Are there any critical times we should be aware of - I understand you want this done ASAP, but I would like to know about any real deadlines.  Like, for example, our Spartacus friends expecting a new contingent of reinforcements in three days or something like that.  I don't like to go into things half-cocked, but I also need to know when you may simply have to."

Another thought, "Can we get a list of establishments, etc, currently under Spartacus' protection - or have done business recently with them added to the data dump?  "

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 04:14:44 PM »
The captain laughed heartily at Eleanor's outburst, the kid had spirit.
"And there I was, trying to explain to the crew why you are so skimpy on the payment in a mission where we're risking our hides, and attempting to add a modicum of honesty into this session of scoundrels."
Irina seemed more relaxed outwardly, but the cunning observer would notice that she still vivily recalled the day she lost her dastardly crew.
She studied Eleanor briefly. The way she walked, the posture, speech and vocabulary, but especially the self-confident pride were not the marks of a fringer, and that refined fascinating note was uncommon in these backwaters. The talk of inheritance hinted at an origin in more civilized worlds. This they had in common - Irina yearned for her home on Arkona with an intensity that made her gaze out into the black, looking for the one speck that shone that most beautiful tone of gold.

"Don't be so hard on her" the doctor interjected playfully, amused, yet also with the caring note of a healthcare professional. There might even have been a smidge of motherly concern. "The girl was under substantial duress for an extended period of time; I am surprised she is holding up."

"Fair enough, let's get to the point. Especially considering that New Troy City is not the biggest of hamlets, and your vehicle will confound the pursuers only so long. At least there is a chance that they haven't realised that you're not planetside anymore. Tell us what intel you have gathered on Spartacus, then we shall inquire with our contacts whether they know of a convenient way into a compound of theirs."

The splicer had not wasted time, and knew the rough layout of Spartacus assets.
Most important was their fortress on a plateau overlooking New Troy, a former archaeological compound on the site of the first unearthed ruin.
Another compound of theirs was in Levante; the town was a veritable holiday resort for scum and scoundrels located on the coast of one of the planet's few seas. It had good bars, and excellent pineapples, too (they were genetically modified, but then, what wasn't).
Bands of Spartacus mercs were hired by settlers and raiders alike, for Sindar was a lawless planet with no real government, and a dozen men with guns always came in handy.
Off-world, the mercenary company had also some presence - a compound on the planet's forested moon, and several small stations in the system, from where they offered hyperspace-capable frigates as escorts.

Why they were after Eleanor, she did not know - most likely, they were hired. By whom, that remained a mystery.

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 12:36:01 AM »
Autumn rolled her eyes at the posturing between the  captain and their employer, such verbal sparring was a skill she saw little use for, preferring to simply speak plainly and let her sense of honor guide her actions. "We recently liberated the Lilacor and rescued Irina from an... Untenable situation, suffice to say I have every confidence we'll exceed your expectations."

She viewed the provided information eagerly, weighing possibilities. "Is Spartacus led by anyone of particular note, like a retired admiral or washed up decorated combat vet? Knowing the brains behind the outfit may give us insight to their tactics and response protocols."

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 10:20:15 AM »
"Yeah, you need to watch out for those ex-military types. You can't trust 'em any further than you can throw em.  With a name of Spartacus, they might have an agenda past simply providing blood and bullets."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 02:27:19 PM »
"Retired admiral, in fact" Eleanor replied.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_tppyBoT3Q
The tablet brought up a fey blonde of youthful mien, hair done in immaculate french locks, somewhat out of place in the blue-and-gold uniform of the Terran Federation, her bosom heavy with brass, her shoulders with pauldrons, ribbons and stars.
"Look, a Crimson Skull. Twenty enemy vessels destroyed by a ship under her command" Jerome wondered. It was difficult to attribute much carnage to a creature of such nonthreatening mien, despite the dauntless spark in her blue eyes.
"Theresia Harfner-Wallenstein, the parents were also top brass. She hails from Augersund, one of the Federation's satellite states. A monarchy, in fact - her proper address is "Dame", actually."
Eleanor was as puzzled as the first time she looked at the data - why would such a person leave the fleet, or why would she be expelled? The fleet's files were classified, but Beamer, one of Eleanor's contacts, managed to pick up some dirt through his sources. There was talk of dishonorable discharge. Apparently, the ex-admiral's trigger finger was too eager; a deserter claimed she had glassed a civilian habitat in violation of direct orders, and even shot one Federate vessel out of the sky.

There was more information, on her second-in-command and bodyguard.
A wiry man, sprouting graying black hair tied back in a ponytail, with an illegible face and penetrating black eyes gazed at them from the tablet, clad in a light combat suit.
"Crichton, Zane. A killer if I ever saw one; excels at wetwork. I tried to find more on him, but the man's zeroed. The name's likely fake. All I got is this tattoo with an "F" rune, and a six-digit code."
Eleanor paused, looking at the band.
The doctor appeared to briefly ponder whether to interject, then she did so: "A Fenrir model, bioroid. The Federates use them in black ops work. How do I know? We made them. They focus on speed and coordination; we managed to wire them to be faster than cybernetically enhanced soldiers. The drawback is a tendency to develop psychiatric disorders; we have therefore engineered a kill-switch, setting a biological self-destruct prior to the predilection age of insanity. In about 0.1%, the death clock does not trigger, as seems to be the case with the gentleman here."
"So, a wild card?" Jerome inquired.
"Yes, dear, very much so."

"Who's the big bloke?" Autumn wondered at the sight of the third photograph. A bearded man, mountain of bronzed muscle, was photographed on the backdrop of the planet's table mountains, carrying an implausibly large firearm.
"There's more on this gentleman, Honza 1889. Honza Aideen, these days, to be correct. What you are looking at is an Atlas series parahuman, with all the bone density and muscle mass genetics can buy. Federates utilize the Atlas where heavy weapon platforms cannot be easily deployed. Mister Aideen left the marine corps after the Veradani war in protest, over what exactly I could not find. It is likely that the Federates have distorted whatever the real cause was - it does not reflect well when a laureated war hero suddenly rejects all you stand for and leaves without pay."
Apparently, the man had found something besides military work to occupy him - there was a distant farmstead on Sindar, to which his shuttle had been tracked by Silke, an overly curious dispatcher on Argus.

"The fort near the dirtside starport in New Troy, it is a fortification in two concentric rings and a dome in the centre, covering the original dig site" Irina noted as Eleanor paged through the orbital photographs.
"That's not all - the most relevant structures are concealed underground, as you can see by the hangars here in the cliffside. They could have re-purposed some of the ruins, as well" the brunette added her own detailed intel.

Eleanor's comm beeped then, displaying a message from Tycho, one of her contacts on planet. Whatever was the little rat up to again? "Hey, Elly, my precious. Remember how you promised to pay for info on the Rusties? They have snagged some nerd, called him doctor, too. He was digging around the place, so I figure they wanted his loot. Just saying. This is worth five nuyen, yes?"
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 02:33:39 PM by EchoMirage »

Offline Elanor

• The Laughing Fox
  • Apprentice
  • Elanor Reaper
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 10:36:04 PM »
"They also have a warehouse of supplies at the starport, mostly bland base supplies, spare parts, rations and the like, but they may have a shipment schedule on site there if you want to pay it a visit in person," She paused as her comlink beeped, nodding at the message her informant delivered, "I'll make it fifty if you can give me all of the pertinent details with enough accuracy to make it worth my time," She told the snitch warmly, giving the group a wink off camera and hitting the mute button briefly, "One moment please, this may be relevant to our task at hand." With a flick she unmuted the comlink and pressed the record button, for later reference.

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 09:54:53 PM »
Autumn looked over at Jerome with a questioning glance, "How does the name imply a secondary agenda?"

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 08:10:07 AM »
"In ancient earth history, Spartucas was a gladiator that led a slave uprising against the Roman empire.  Unless they just snagged that name because it sounded cool.."

He shrugged. 

"Her choice of lieutenants might suggest something else. " Jerome shuddered at the thought of the unholy twisting of creation.  The doctor had a hand in such things?

Nearly totally different beings like Autumn did not bother him, it was the almost or once-were humans that did.  Some form of Uncanny Valley with him.  Jerome had long learned to hide this distaste externally, but it still was there.  And here there was a reason.

"Sure as s**t she'll have a real ship or three stowed somewhere. Once an Admiral, always an Admiral, and I can't imagine she loves having dirt underfeet."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2014, 02:17:08 PM »
"If they're rebels of that sort there may be a bounty on their leaders heads, especially if she's a thorn in some government or others side." She offered, finishing the last of her meal and waiting for Elanor to finish her phone conversation. "The warehouse might be a good place to find out where the supplies are being shipped and when the next shipment is scheduled, intercepting it would give us a way into the base past external security," She suggested to her companions, keeping her voice low so as not to interrupt the woman's phone call.

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 04:21:16 PM »
"I knew you do love me, Elly! Well, I overheard the doctor's name, Kraljevic. I now remember the bugger."

Now you do that I increased the reward? Love does not blossom in such dishonesty, dear Tycho.

"Remember how I told you I worked on Groombridge II?"

Yes, you little rat, you embezzled a serious wad of money from Neogen Corporation, and left the ground team starving for seven days. Then, you had to run for the Fringe lest Neogen enlist you as a test volunteer for their newest NBC warfare program.

"Well, this Kraljevic guy worked there in the third wave of exploration of those ruins Neogen and the military and everybody and their mother are so anal about. And, now he's here, digging again, but without corp support. I guess he went freelance, or he's undercover. Back then, the suits would not even let him speak to the cute waitress at the port cantina. Always in a sandwich between two sleazy agents, he was."

To avoid divulging all the juicy research in post-coital bliss or over a cup of coffee, of course.

Regardless, this may be worth a fifty - if Tycho adds a little more snooping around.

"I really could use a cup of coffee" the doctor whispered to Autumn on the side.

Offline Elanor

• The Laughing Fox
  • Apprentice
  • Elanor Reaper
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: Today at 05:09:04 AM »
"Were you by chance friends with the man?" She fixed his image with a pointed gaze, trusting he knew better than to attempt to deceive her by now, "If so send me a info dump of everything relevant about the man, and if not find out what you can, then I'll pay you the rest." With a few quick button presses she transferred 25 of the promised fifty credits, giving him a honeyed smile and ending the call, her false warmth for the snitch vanishing as the screen darkened.

With a satisfied look she set her comlink to speaker and replayed the message for her comrades, leaning forward and lowering her voice as it ended. "So there you have it, a bit more operative intel to work with, I'm open to your suggestions on how we should proceed, but as was mentioned earlier, time is not on our side, and once they realize my car is devoid of its occupant they will start hunting and complicate whatever plans we enact."