llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hello, and a question.  (Read 2319 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Tauric

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused (mostly confused)
    • Awards
Hello, and a question.
« on: July 11, 2011, 02:13:57 PM »
Hello, all.

My name it Tauric.  I've been playing RPGs off and on since 1990, with the current streak starting in 2003. I have played Shadowrun, Rifts, Star Wars, and D&D. Currently, I am playing one campaign in 3.5D&D, and one in Pathfinder. I have DM'd in the past, and would like to again, if I can get my act together. I don't remember how I found the Citadel, but it's been on my "check weekly" list of pages for over a year.

Apparently, my true job should be "Doctor", but if it were, I would be one of those TV docs with a horrible bedside manner, like Dr. Cox on Scrubs.

My question for the powers here at the Citadel is this: if I want to use something from here, and I wish to post it on another website (such as Obsidian Portal, for the players to see), how do I go about giving credit to the author? Do I simply say "I got this idea from X at Strolen's Citadel", and provide a link? Or is there another method? And can I modify the ideas I like, to fit the world I wish to create?

Any guidance on this would be appreciated.

Tauric

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Re: Hello, and a question.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 02:52:44 PM »
I suppose I should be the one to tackle this one. :)

Generally speaking, people post here in order to share their ideas and help others game. So, by even asking, it makes me believe that whatever you end up doing I will fully support and approve of. Take the ideas, change them, twist them, post them, prod them, scatter them to the winds but, as you mentioned, we would very greatly appreciate a link back to the place where you got them.

Now, if somebody started selling the ideas from the site...even with attribution...well, there are enough folks here with pet dragons that I would hate to be on the receiving end of that situation!

If I was to label it (and I probably should) I would say it fits the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported type license.

Any Strolenati that has more thoughts, feel free to chime in. This might be a defining moment that causes me to put a generic creative commons license in the footer with a caveat that each author can set their own license restrictions per sub (which is currently available if you didn't notice :) )

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Scottish wolf-&^%$@ with silver fangs
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Elite NPC Guild Questor 2012 Sub of the Year 2012 Location of the Year Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 03:28:15 PM »
I personally would  enjoy a PM with a link to where the idea was re-posted/changed/re-imagined whatever simply for the fun of seeing what someone did with it. A link on that re-posted sub pointing back to my original would also be much appreciated.

Beyond that I'd enjoy a comment on the original work and what about it inspired your extrapolation on the original idea.  :up:
"Lesbian gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Månlufsen (The Moon Bum)
  • Awards Golden Creator Questor Hall of Heroes 5 2011 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 03:33:54 PM »
Any Strolenati that has more thoughts, feel free to chime in. This might be a defining moment that causes me to put a generic creative commons license in the footer with a caveat that each author can set their own license restrictions per sub (which is currently available if you didn't notice :) )

I'm all for having it default to creative commons.

I think it would be great to see just how the material here gets used. The authors might even enjoy seeing how their subs were tweaked to fit a particular need. As a point of reference, http://strolen.com/viewing/Playtesting shows that there is interest in this.
Chosen of Aktagarti – Divine Synod Guild – Level 1
Might: 2 | Agility: 3 | Wits: 4 | Charm: 3 | Spirit: 4 | Power: 2

The old man, grey-haired, braid hanging down.
He is clothed in faded brown robes.
His craggy face is turned up, bathed in moonlight;
He looks for his goddess to smile upon him.

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Master Questor Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 06:51:25 PM »
I agree - we should be able to do exactly what DeviantArt does with licencing.

With a Creative Commons license, you can allow people to use, copy, and share your work while giving you credit.
Use a Creative Commons License? Yes
 No

Allow commercial uses of your work? Yes
 No

Allow modifications of your work? Yes
 Yes, as long as others share alike
 No

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 09:21:43 PM »
I consider mine Creative Commons License, for what little I understand of legalese. "Share and share alike" is my motto.

I had someone not from the Citadel ask me if he could use one of my subs in his game once. What I most appreciated was that he sent me a PDF outlining exactly how he planned to use it in game, from maps and modifications all the way down to system-specific stats. Not saying you have to go that far to borrow something, but a friendly "Here's what I want to do with this" is greatly appreciated by myself.

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Tauric

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused (mostly confused)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 09:19:52 AM »
Thank you all for the responses.

So what I will do, when I get around to it, is post a copy of the Creative Commons license, together with a link back here, to what ever I use, and I'll also send the author a message with a link to where I used their work.