llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Skiffs of Kalazar - Drumming up interest  (Read 1494 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Skiffs of Kalazar - Drumming up interest
« on: July 02, 2011, 01:54:19 PM »
http://strolen.com/guild/index.php/topic,1264.0.html

Skiffs of Kalazar

If you have been around, you have seen this before. It is a game set with a great visual.

Wind propelled Skiffs (Ships on skis) slide across the black sand dunes, dodging pirates and swashing buckles, looking for fortune and fame between the cities on their rocky outcroppings.

A setting with an Arabian/ Persian feel, part Sinbad, part Aladdion, part Pirates of Dark Water, and a bit of John Carter of Mars thrown in for flavor.  The action centers around Kalazar - the London of its time - where a new society is taking hold and oppotunities are everwhere.

Some bullet points...

Martial arts and swords masters.... Sharp minded heroes... beautiful princesses... priests and wise ones... and that guy who is a little odd. 

The world will center around the few dark deserts (land masses) and the people living there..   The Dark Sand cities have metal and harvested beetle creatures (which have living metal carpaces producing an alloy with great properties).

An Arab looking culture, centered on the few oasis rocks and travelling betweeen "islands".  There are probably water oceans (shallow and hypersalinated) that have regular sailors (with ships of much the same design as skiffs).  The ocean is probably filled with really dangerous critters that will take on ships. 

Magic is going to have to deal with energy and magnetic energy... mentally moving power.  Summoning creatures.   It is a hidden thing.  Most people refuse to publicaly believe (think of it as how people believe in UFOs, Bigfoot, Inner Earth, and Magic on Earth).  Magic at the lower levels is nothing but tiny pluses for a lot of work.  Get better, and things happen.

The tall towers of ivory stone to reflect the heat will help things go. 

WE have noble houses and their retainers who are in conflict. We have freetbooting sailors who are one of the keys to wealth for the nobles.  We have loose people who are looking for their nitch. 

Any thoughts?  (I am thinking about making a deal about it...   http://strolen.com/guild/index.php/topic,5601.0.html)   I am tinkering between Big Projects. 
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Re: Skiffs of Kalazar - Drumming up interest
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 02:42:02 PM »
I remember trying to make a game out of this once, quite a while ago, I'll see if I can find any of the notes I made. But in the meantime, if you need any help with the Arabish parts hit me up, seeing as I've spent the past few years dealing with said peoples/language.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor Elite Questor NPC Guild Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 05:15:49 AM »
Well, I'd be interested in a game that actually moves.
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 09:17:43 PM »
I am picking at the setting some.  I need to define a better vision for it.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©