OK, what if Kthor is a... city. Not some ordinary city, of course.
Kthor, the City where people never die.
Just right, people never die here. It may be some kind of curse, a divine blessing, or something else. Whatever, people do not die, children are not born, nobody grows older. It may be that no inhabitant can leave this place, or they don't want (become mortal again if leaving).
The city can bizzare or common as you want, even boring, but what are the changes deep inside? If a city continues to exist for hundreds of years with the same people inside, shouldn't it change many things?
- No one sees a reason to hurry anywhere.
- Despite the not-too-small size of the city, everyone knows everyone.
- Many are willing to sell for absurdly low prices, even for free, or too expensive. Some people don't care for money anymore.
- Children. Older children become surprisingly 'adult' and knowledgeable about things they should not know. Younger children, and anyone that cannot take care of himself, can get 'adopted', simply given into care to anyone that wants.
- Crime. People are bored if anyone gets killed, but thievery can be very harshly punished (looong imprisonment...).
- Some craftsmen became great masters of their art.
I could continue for hours. Now imagine what could re-opening of the Vales cause, both to the city, and the world around, once this news spreads...