llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Submission Thoughts: Building a Boat Vs. Building a Raft Island  (Read 3410 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ted

• Shattered
  • Journeyman
  • Awards Article Guild Plot Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Item of the Year
    • Awards
The Strolen community is well versed in what makes a good boat. Your usual luxury boat usually has a HoH thrown at it, and the real yachts out there are the Golden subs kicking around. A boat can pretty much stay afloat on its own, and it can really move through the waves.

Strolen knows a good boat when they see it.

Rafts, rafts are little different. A single raft isn't usually very stable or seaworthy. They tend to capsize easily. But, you can throw a bunch of rafts together into a larger creation, and the whole thing gets pretty scary. Soon enough, you have a moving deserted island complete with stranded travelers and coconut trees.

Strolen doesn't have a lot of Rafts. Despite the strength of Freetext and linking submissions together, rafts just don't seem all that common. The continuity between the submissions to the Citadel just isn't there.

So I'm going to test the waters. Many of the submissions that come out will rely heavily on previous submissions to be understood- all part of the plan. The raft island only gets more stable the more that gets read and added to it.

Thoughts?
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When one gazes into an abyss, he is gazed into by the abyss.-Friedrich Nietzsche.

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Månlufsen (The Moon Bum)
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator 2011 Society of the Year
    • Campfire Stories
    • Awards
Re: Submission Thoughts: Building a Boat Vs. Building a Raft Island
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 04:29:45 PM »
Rafts, fishing boats, yachts, cargo carriers, battleships; I like them all. Separately or strung together, just as long as they are sea worthy.

Cutting past the metaphor, there are many different approaches to the amount of material per sub and how that material is organized within and across subs. What is important to me is that each individual sub be internally coherent/consistent, even if it relies on information revealed elsewhere.

There are good examples of this. Check out the Hewdamia and ColdForged freetext for starters.

For myself, I am working on my own (as-yet-unnamed) floating island and I hope that I don't sink it along the way. :)

Just my $.02
Chosen of Aktagarti – Divine Synod Guild – Level 1
Might: 2 | Agility: 3 | Wits: 4 | Charm: 3 | Spirit: 4 | Power: 2

The old man, grey-haired, braid hanging down.
He is clothed in faded brown robes.
His craggy face is turned up, bathed in moonlight;
He looks for his goddess to smile upon him.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 02:02:56 PM »
It sounds a little like you are going to build a world of stubs. I will admit I blindly built the stub ability as I still wasn't entirely sure what they would be used for but greater minds than mine wished them. I always had the thought of having the ability of stubs to be "sucked" into a main submission somehow or incorporated together in some unique way. But I could still never figure out the overall use of them even then.

I tend to agree with MysticMoon, each sub should be able to stand on its own. Mention other subs and link them together in order to form a more cohesive overall set of interlocking ideas but the main idea of the current sub wouldn't be totally lost if you didn't know what was in the other linked, just enhanced.

All that said, go for it. Maybe we can figure out a new way of doing things and I am always interested in a new style!

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 04:43:58 AM »
Does a coracle count as a raft, or a boat?
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • King
    • Campfire Stories
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 09:08:49 AM »
It sounds a little like you are going to build a world of stubs. I will admit I blindly built the stub ability as I still wasn't entirely sure what they would be used for but greater minds than mine wished them. I always had the thought of having the ability of stubs to be "sucked" into a main submission somehow or incorporated together in some unique way. But I could still never figure out the overall use of them even then.

I haven't quite grokked the concept of stubs. I just don't know where that boundary is between a stub and a full-fledged submission.

I'm not sure if this fits in this thread or if it should be a feature request (I'm just thinking out loud here), but the idea of having stubs pulled into a sub got me thinking about something I've seen others mention. Some subs are very long. They can't be split up into multiple subs because they only cover a single topic, but it would be so much easier to read them if they didn't appear on a single page. What about creating a number of stubs and then tying them together with a sub that acts as a table of contents? The stubs themselves would end in links to the next one in the sequence.

To make this idea more concrete, consider MJS's The Keep Beneath the Dusky Star (a most excellent piece that took me a couple of days to get through.) The sub itself contains only the links to the idea scrolls which provide the actual content. The difference between this example and my suggestion would be to create the scrolls as stubs instead, make the links point to the stubs, and then have each stub link to the next part/chapter.

That could, indeed, be an island made from tying rafts together.

Thoughts?

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 12:45:33 PM »
How about a feature like the <!--nextpage--> in wordpress where you can divide the sub up into multiple pages with a small pagination below it?

I hesitate to have random floating stubs around the citadel that only make sense when combined. Continue brainstorming. This is going somewhere.

Level 3

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • King
    • Campfire Stories
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 07:04:15 PM »
In retrospect, stubs probably would be overkill. I was just throwing ideas around.

Being able to insert pagebreaks sounds intriguing. With a new top-level category of Fiction, such a feature could be useful for posting longer stories.

I am curious to know what others think.

Offline Ted

• Shattered
  • Journeyman
  • Awards Article Guild Plot Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Item of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 10:50:21 AM »
I feel that sometimes the burden is too great to show and tell with all the subs that are submitted. As a DM, I want room to customize, bastardize and take what I need for my sessions. I try to leave some room for that in my own creations.

So, sometimes I have an idea. One that can lead to a multitude of different plots. These can be wildly contradictory, and it seems wrong to include anything past a simple hook with an idea that is at the core, a location, item or person. Which is where linking can become powerful.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When one gazes into an abyss, he is gazed into by the abyss.-Friedrich Nietzsche.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 11:18:33 AM »
I feel this is going somewhere positive. I sense a paradigm shift in the force. I don't know what it is yet, but big it is. Coming soon it will be. mmmm

Level 3