llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Osama Bin Laden  (Read 8443 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Osama Bin Laden
« on: May 02, 2011, 12:01:04 PM »
So unless you haven't turned on the internet or a television on in the last 24 hours, you know that Osama bin Laden has been found and killed, prompting hundreds of thousands of internet threads, and a veritable flood of memes.

Given that the Citadel has a fairly large international membership, I open the floor for commentary and debate.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Questor
    • Awards
Re: Osama Bin Laden
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 12:02:32 PM »
This sums up my feelings, albeit in a sarcastic tone:

Long story short: The world is a better place without him, but in terms of terrorism and US military, foreign, domestic, etc. policy, this changes nothing.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 12:11:08 PM »
Who?

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 01:29:14 PM »
Perhaps I am sounding paranoid, but I believe the real strategists behind Al-Qaeda gave him up to strengthen the terrorist movement.

This will give birth to a 1001 new terrorists, and we will see vengeance within a couple of years. He is a martyr now.

The terrorist movement was losing momentum. I guess this is what they needed to go forward again.

On the other hand: He deserved every bullet he got. The world is a better place without him. Too bad he will become an icon and a martyr though.

Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Scottish wolf-&^%$@ with silver fangs
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Master Questor Article Guild Elite NPC Guild 2012 Location of the Year 2012 Sub of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 02:55:03 PM »
I can't help but question the validity of this occurrence, the skeptic in me finds it convenient they killed the man, then buried his body at sea within hours before the media, or anyone of note could get proper documentation and confirmation of the death. (Especially when the death of Sadam was so publicized one would think they'd make the most of carting about Bin's corpse for all to see)

*shrugs* It's all speculation since all we have is news reports and no body to prove it one way or another they got the right guy, and it's doubtful we'll suddenly get any of the civil rights we've lost since 9/11 handed back or the airports lighten up about wanting to grope every passenger and/or see them naked. So in the grand scheme of things meh. Or in the words of Shakespeare: "Much ado about nothing."

Edit: (for those wanted a quick link to the news Story, Here ya go:  :up: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/02/bin-laden-killed-cia-led-seals-team-death-hailed-blow-al-qaeda/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 02:58:14 PM by Silveressa »
"Lesbian gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 03:44:03 PM »
Well, parading a corpse *is* in bad taste, and not something I would think Obama would endorse. Bush on the other hand would probably hoist Osamas head on the White House flag pole.

There will be photographies. They will be shown to whoever needs to see them. You cannot announce something of that magnitude without securing evidence. I guess we won't see them though. It would fuel the flames of fanatics more than the hearts of patriots.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ted

• Shattered
  • Journeyman
  • Awards Article Guild Plot Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Item of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 05:17:02 PM »
Silveressa, Sadam's execution became a political gaff when the video of it was released. Obama no doubt strictly ordered that Islamic tradition be followed to avoid angering anyone but those who supported Osama's efforts.

No doubt, gitmo-style photographs of soldiers playing with Osama's corpse would be bad. Very bad.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When one gazes into an abyss, he is gazed into by the abyss.-Friedrich Nietzsche.

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Locations Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Master Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 08:50:56 PM »
I think it was legit, otherwise Obama gave a huge gun to the terrorists, as it would be trivial to prove he was still alive.

That would destroy Obama.

I suppose that he could be captured and not dead, but would still be very risky.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Scottish wolf-&^%$@ with silver fangs
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Master Questor Article Guild Elite NPC Guild 2012 Location of the Year 2012 Sub of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 11:27:18 PM »
Good points, although now that I think about it I wouldn't put it past Al Queada to have a Osama look-alike turning up down the road and claiming to be the "Real guy" just to mess with everyone and cause more trouble. (one scum of the earth down a few hundred thousand to go :D )
"Lesbian gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 12:06:42 AM »
Too much effort for not enough of a return, al-Qaida is better off without him when you think about it; they now have a world famous martyr that they can say was denied his rightful place in heaven by being buried at sea by heathens, despite the fact that the whole reason he was buried at sea with such haste was that Islam calls for dead people to be buried w/in 24 hours, and no muslim nation would allow him to be buried in their borders.

In the grand scheme of things, the only person this whole dead OBL thing is going to help will be Obama, who'll be able to claim that he was responsible for the death of Osama come next election cycle.  The terrorists will keep on plotting to kill "heathens" and the rest of the world will have forgotten about this in about a week and a half.  Also, as much as I enjoy Bush bashing, even he had the common human decency to not put a rotting head on top of a flag pole; now if the White House had ramparts that be a different story, that's what they're made for after all, but not a flagpole. :p
One can cure oneself of the not un- formation by memorizing this sentence: A not unblack dog was chasing a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field.  Orwell

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 03:33:52 AM »
Nothing wrong with a little good old fashioned Bush bashing, Pariah. I rather enjoy it, and as I recall his reign was full of less than clever decisions. At least when it comes to international politics, which is what is felt outside US borders. ;)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Månlufsen (The Moon Bum)
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator 2011 Society of the Year
    • Campfire Stories
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 06:15:35 AM »
Nothing wrong with a little good old fashioned Bush bashing, Pariah. I rather enjoy it, and as I recall his reign was full of less than clever decisions. At least when it comes to international politics, which is what is felt outside US borders. ;)

Not just outside the US, AG...
Chosen of Aktagarti – Divine Synod Guild – Level 1
Might: 2 | Agility: 3 | Wits: 4 | Charm: 3 | Spirit: 4 | Power: 2

The old man, grey-haired, braid hanging down.
He is clothed in faded brown robes.
His craggy face is turned up, bathed in moonlight;
He looks for his goddess to smile upon him.

Offline Ted

• Shattered
  • Journeyman
  • Awards Article Guild Plot Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Item of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 09:47:52 AM »
Patriot Act, No Child Left Behind, Republican Economic Policy.....
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When one gazes into an abyss, he is gazed into by the abyss.-Friedrich Nietzsche.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 10:10:36 AM »
Two spectres shade pretty much every aspect of American policies in the past decade: terrorism and the green movement. Add to that the economy in the past four years and you can find the reasoning for any law past or policy applied.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 11:18:30 AM »

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 12:04:09 PM »
Amazing! Live video feed from the Osama killing.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!