llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Legue of Extraordinary Gentlemen  (Read 6481 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Legue of Extraordinary Gentlemen
« on: July 13, 2003, 10:34:58 PM »
So, has anyone gone and seen LXG yet?  'Tis a d**n cool movie.  d**n cool.  So good that the little literary inconsistancies don't matter.  Hoo-ah.  I would like to hear others' opinions.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Agar

• Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2003, 11:00:36 PM »
Haven't seen it yet, we're short a baby sitter while grandpa is out of town. I have a question that shouldn't spoil the movie in telling. There's the adventurer, Sean Connery, the invisible man, Dr Jeckle, an immortal, and a hella hot vampire. There's another guy in the commercials, the guy driving the car with Sean Connery, who the hell is he?
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild
    • Awards
Good and Bad
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2003, 04:43:19 AM »
Think X-men set in the early 1900s to 1890s, with Victoriana fictional heroes.  

Most people like it.

The Steampunk and Victoriana crowd have panned it or grudgingly admitted to liking it.

Everyone who sees it thinks the comic book was sooooooooooooo much better. Those who loved the comic have hated the movie, as only the general concept and the general idea behind most of the characters is the same.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Umbra03

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 04:02:48 PM »
The league of extrodanary gentalmen and a women

Isn't there a female character?
Many people say that no power can bring the mountains low. Many people are fools.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2003, 04:09:30 PM »
I haven't seen it, but it sounds like the most ridiculous premise I've ever heard. On an unrelated note, I really really like Pirates of the Carribean.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2003, 04:11:08 PM »
The League of Extroidinary Gentlepersons....

Heard about it, will watch it, not on the edge of my seat for it, will wait for the DVD to come out, will probably enjoy it. I liked X-men. Havent' see II so far though, heard about it, will watch it, not on the edge of my seat for it, will wait for the DVD to come out, will probably enjoy it.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Agar

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2003, 08:31:10 PM »
The vampire is the woman, and is played by the babe from the "La Femme Nakita" series. I am a big Sean Connery fan, so I am shuffling towards the edge of my seat.

X-men 2 was adequate, but has a lot of stupid and unexplained actions that make very little sense. 3 out of 5 stars from me.

Pirates of the Carribean is from disney, so I'm not looking forward to being dissapointed, but I still plan to see it. I think they're trying to promote their newly redesigned pirates of the carribean ride at one of their parks.
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2003, 10:03:39 PM »
I didn't think it was going to be that good, but I loved it! I give it 4/5 stars, -1 star for some bad dialogue, predictability, and the fact that it was too long. Some critics found it stupid that the soldiers would continue battling the skeletons even though they were invincible, but I think it's explainable because the soldiers didn't know that they were invincible.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild
    • Awards
Does not have to do with the thread:
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2003, 11:40:01 PM »
Quote from: "Agar"
X-men 2 was adequate, but has a lot of stupid and unexplained actions that make very little sense. ....

If you have followed the comic, X-men 2 made way, way too much sense.  Saga of the Pheonix is obviously an upcomming plotline.  (If not check Uncanny X-men 148-225, some of the best comics ever written (actually the entire run from 96-275 of uncanny was the reason why X-men were the hotest comic in 80s (and late 70s)).  In addition, they have set up about 3 future plot lines with the characters they have introduced and situations they have set up.  While the movie continuity is very different from the comic continuity (which is not a bad thing), they are picking and choosing the best story lines of the last 25 years to make into the movies.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2003, 11:44:01 PM »
DUDE! You're a bigger fan of comic books than me!

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2003, 11:44:29 PM »
Getting back to the topic:
The characters of LXG are
Allan Quartermain (played by Sean Connery)
Rodney Skinner (the Invis Man)
Captain Nemo
Dorian Grey
Mina Harker (the vampire, natch)
American Secret Service Agent Sawyer (the dude what drives the car like a maniac.  I believe it's Tom Sawyer, but I'm not sure about it.)
Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Siren365

• Knight
    • http://www.invented-truth.net
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2003, 01:05:19 AM »
Oh man. Someone had to bring that up. My "date" was suppose to take me to see it, but he expected me to pay. So, I'm going to see it Saturday. Without him.
Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar.. Ask yourselves, all of you... What power would Hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to dream of Heaven?
- Morpheus

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2003, 01:07:34 AM »
(Shakes his head dissaprovingly at Siren's date)
Dude...What the hell?!

Offline Siren365

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2003, 01:16:57 AM »
I tend to pick the worst of the lot. Tis the tragic tale of dating I suppose. But I can't wait to see the LXG. It is the only thing I'm looking forward too this week.
Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar.. Ask yourselves, all of you... What power would Hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to dream of Heaven?
- Morpheus

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2003, 01:18:24 AM »
(Snorts) Legion of Extraordinary Idiocy is more like it...

Offline Siren365

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2003, 01:22:48 AM »
Hmph! I refuse to believe it's a stupid movie until I see it with my own eyes.
- Morpheus

Offline Agar

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2003, 12:16:01 PM »
Ok, x men 2, near the end, Jean is limping about and sees the dam getting ready to break and the X-plane won't start. And so she GETS OUT and lifts it up while holding back the torrent from the broken dam. The rest of the X-men are saved, she is "lost".

WHY THE F#$% DID SHE GET OUT?!?! HER MIGHTY F&*#ING POWERS DON'T WORK WHEN SHE'S NOT BEING DRAMATIC OR SOMETHING?!?! WTF!!

There are other inconsitancies and irrational behavior that really took away from the movie. I LIKE X-men, but I found the movie lacking.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
x-men errata
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2003, 01:54:30 AM »
She needs line of sight.  She can't life an object unless she can see the entire thing (or most of it). It is a stated limitation on her powers.  That is why she had to get out.  

If she could do otherwise, then she could fly by lifting herself, rip out internal organs, and do some other obnoxious tk effects.  
As for the pheonix force (I guess being triggered by Magneto's machine in Movie 1 rather than radiation/ space shuttle/ cosmic being like the comic), it is only growing stronger, and stronger.  Eventually she becomes a cosmic force.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2003, 12:11:23 AM »
Where the hell did the X-men come into this?

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2003, 12:12:34 AM »
Somebody compared X-Men II to LXG or something like that.