llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Hard Way  (Read 31552 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: The Hard Way
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2011, 11:37:02 AM »
Cutter has a weird far-away look in his eyes, then glances down at his own phone. "Du Hast", the phone croaks once, reminding him of his earlier missed call and voicemail.

-----------------

"Who the hell is this?" Kate hears the voice on Angelo's phone. Sounds like Robert Loggia.
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: February 05, 2011, 01:02:02 PM »
SFO-D had had another name for nights like this. Charlie's Foxtrot. CF. Completely... "No, sweetheart. I'm what your taxes paid for." Frank grinned wolfishly as he looked down at the surrendering mobster. "That's your paycheck. Placate him, and you'll live." Gesturing with his head at the phone and the man, Frank half nodded at Kate. Charlie was dancing. Either the music was gonna get faster or he was gonna trip, but Charlie was already dancing.

Offline Kate Hammerhill

• Adept
  • Quick Silver
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: February 05, 2011, 03:47:11 PM »
Kate gave Frank a icy smile and held the phone up to Angelo's face, keeping her pistol pressed tightly against his temple as a cold reminder of the zero tolerance situation he was in.  If the conversation went south it'd be time to improvise, which didn't bode well for Angelo's future.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:09:18 AM by Kate Hammerhill »

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2011, 06:19:57 PM »
"Hello" Angelo mumbles, sounding helpless
"Carmine?"
"Angelo"
"What the @!#$ is going on?"
"Uhh, Mr. Ferucci, I--I am at the motel"
"Who just answered the phone?"
"Some girl"

Pause

"I heard you were dead."
"You did?" Angelo can't think of anything else to say
"Yeah, you and your brother. Heard some ex-military chumps and some girl---"
"We--uh--I---uh--"

Angelo actually looks at Kate and Frank as if asking for advice...

"Angelo, I don't know what the @!#$ is going on, but if you're alive, you get your ass over to the Rollins' compound now. Get my shipment. I don't give a @!#$ what you're current situation is, but you better get your sorry, fat ass over there and---"

Angelo just stares dumbly at the phone as the Robert Loggia sound-a-like rages.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 06:36:52 PM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Kate Hammerhill

• Adept
  • Quick Silver
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2011, 06:27:38 PM »
Kate gave Angelo an amused smile, almost feeling sorry for the man as the torrent of insults and curses erupted form the phone into his ear. Almost. "Tell him you'll do what he wants, and the girl and the two military guys will never trouble him, or the family again unless they go out of their way to bother us first." Hopefully it would get the Italians off their collective backs without further expenditure of ammo. If not, well she had rough plan for that too actually.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:10:03 AM by Kate Hammerhill »

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2011, 06:33:06 PM »
Angelo clears his throat.

"Ok, Boss, I'm heading there now. Don't worry. They uh--those three won't bother us, unless we-I--uh bother them. No, they don't care about your shipment. What? Yes, I'm going now, don't worry, I ---"

He stops talking. Boss man on the other end already hung up.

Angelo mumbles, "Happy now?" and looks like he just drank sour milk.
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2011, 06:42:47 PM »
For a moment all is quiet. A shaft of light peeks through the grimy window of motel room 208.

Dawn outside.

6, maybe 6:02, Frank figures.
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2011, 06:48:47 PM »
'One of the things about insomnia, you learn to get by on less sleep,' Cutter said, phasing back into reality. He gave a sigh, too much s**t in too little time. He clicked the buttons on his phone to check his voice mail, maybe it would be some good news, or a message from his boss at Wally World. This vacation had been approved weeks ago. He presses the replay button and put the phone to his ear.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Kate Hammerhill

• Adept
  • Quick Silver
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2011, 06:50:29 PM »
Kate gave Angelo a slight nod of approval and cocked back the hammer of her Sig, her voice cold as ice once more as she recalled men similar to Angelo with cans of gasoline dousing her apartment, recalled the burnt body of her girlfriend as she died in her arms begging for help. "I seem to recall you saying you were going to kill me. You've got a real short window of opportunity to convince me that's no longer an item on your agenda, before I scratch it off my list of concerns. Permanently."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:11:00 AM by Kate Hammerhill »

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
"He's a professional, kiddo. He's not gonna move without the don's say so. And, he's gonna be so far behind us that he won't have a shot." Frank's voice was low, and certain. "He's been a good boy, so he lives. Cuffs are in my left hip pocket. Get a staunch on his wounds."

It was the start of plan, anyway. They were running out of time. It was a good idea to move from here, Frank thought.   

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2011, 09:48:03 PM »
6 Hours to go...

{Cutter listens to voice mail}

Fat man sits motionless as Kate cuffs him.

Frank eyes the brute.

5 Hours and 56 minutes to go...
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Kate Hammerhill

• Adept
  • Quick Silver
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2011, 09:52:24 PM »
Kate gave Frank a hesitant look as she tightened the handcuffs around Angelos wrists, "I iced his brother, blood's thicker than water, I've already got people far worse then this guy on my tail,  so I want to hear it from him if this matter's finished or if I need to finish it here and now." She stared into Angelo's eyes, trying to see if the desire for vengeance burned within, or if he was truly willing to let things rest.

As an afterthought to Frank she added, "The names Kate, I'm no kid, a kid would've hid behind the bar and let you get your brains blown out by his brother, not saved your ungrateful ass. But if you and Gi Joe don't want a girl like me around to help get this mess sorted and find who killed Ronny. just say the word; and I'll be gone before the sun finishes cresting the horizon."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:11:48 AM by Kate Hammerhill »

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2011, 10:58:40 PM »
"My name is Cutter," he hesitates, "Foster, John Foster but anyone who knows me calls me Cutter," he said. "My therapist would say you have some anger issues, maybe some personal identification issues as well. I don't appreciate being called GI Joe any more than you like being called a kid. But let's call an apple an apple, are you even old enough to order a cosmo in a trendy bar that actually cards girls instead of taking a good view of cleavage as proof of age?"

Offline Kate Hammerhill

• Adept
  • Quick Silver
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2011, 11:17:30 PM »
"Cutter?" She arched an eyebrow and gave him a slightly amused look before quietly muttering to herself. "You don't like the nick name GI Joe, yet name yourself after one of the action figures? Oookay." Speaking louder she asked him the next question that popped into her mind."Shouldn't you be carrying around a katana or something with a name like that?" She shrugged afterward, as if it didn't matter much.

"But let's call an apple an apple, are you even old enough to order a cosmo in a trendy bar that actually cards girls instead of taking a good view of cleavage as proof of age?"

An astute question, lying would be an option, but she didn't see much point in attempting deception. "I'm nineteen and a half if that's what you're asking. While not of age to legally piss away my rent money on booze, I'm old enough to know nothing in life's free, those who can't protect themselves are often the first to be preyed upon. and people like Angelo here just make life worse for the rest of us every chance they get."

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:14:49 AM by Kate Hammerhill »

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: February 06, 2011, 01:32:25 AM »
"There is a 'Joe named Cutter?" Cutter asked with a hint of genuine surprise, he was a bit more Voltron than Transformers and GI Joe. "The only ones I know are Snake Eyes because he's a ninja and that hot euro-trash piece the Baroness," he tucked his phone away in his pocket. He wondered what Froelich would think of his message in the morning when they found the bar shot all to hell.

"Thats still funny, I've had that nickname since my first tour in Iraq, back in 91. You know about three months after your daddy got that gleam in his eye and the back rub was more than a back rub. My CO nicknamed me Cutter because I was always making up excuses to cut in the chow line in mess. Had to grab a tray for the CO, or I was just here, or a hundred other excuses. Southern Alabama boy can starve away to nothing if he has to wait in a food line too long." Cutter patted a pocket and remembered he didn't smoke any more, more of a nervous gesture.

"No offense but you are too young to have an attitude that nasty. I'm not saying you ain't tough, and that you haven't been 'there seen things, and done stuff, so please don't point your piece at me. I have seen stuff ghat messed me up so bad I can't remember it unless I am dreaming or am in therapy. Let's take things down a notch or two. We can all be friends here. I have a feeling that we are going to be seeing plenty of each other."

Offline Kate Hammerhill

• Adept
  • Quick Silver
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2011, 01:53:35 AM »
Kate relaxed slightly and gave Cutter a genuine smile, this one holding a fair amount of warmth to it, her voice warmer, almost inviting. "The attitude came from growing up in the Bronx, mostly raised by a single dad that was also one of New Yorks finest; and didn't want to see his little girl become another statistic." Screw it, might as well share a little of her past with the guy since he seemed genuinely interested. It wasn't like she had much to lose at this juncture.

"As for having seen things, about two weeks ago I saw some guy get capped behind a diner by this thug, sucked to be him, but not my problem I thought. Later that night I find a few thugs like Angelo here but of Russian origin," She paused long enough to give the shark suited thug a not so gentle pat on the head. "They set fire to my apartment and my girlfriend of two and half years. She was pretty near burned alive and died in my arms not long after..."

She stopped as her voice cracked and the reminder of all she'd lost threatened to overwhelm her. Shaking her head Kate blinked back tears, tried to push the memory from her mind and focus on the present. "So yeah, wrong place, wrong time, now the Russian mob wants me dead, I've been trying to find a place to lose myself since." Kate struggled to hold her composure, struggled to make herself grow numb inside once more, resist the urge to blast Angelo's head from his shoulders as some small payback for what his kind did to innocent people, to Rachel.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:51:33 AM by Kate Hammerhill »

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2011, 01:59:05 AM »
"Mmph." Frank didn't like it. Too many d**ned loose cannons. Fate dealt this hand, though, and he was gonna play it. "Didn't say I didn't appreciate the hand, Kate. And it's Frank." And then he just shrugs. "Don't like killing. And I wasn't planning on leaving him anywhere he can pick up and come after us." Letting go of the fat man was a relief, though. Frank felt like'd he'd just gone all the way with a prosciutto. Disgusting.

"Half tempted to just cuff his ass to the toilet. Let whoever comes by next take care of him. Probably the Rollins. Maybe the cops. Cops would be better. They have the time to play with him." Frank frowned, as he considered. "Whole d**n thing is on a timer. Need to get out of here. Deal with the hick clan, find out what they know about Cutters buddy. At round 7 I can find out if that crazy &^%$@ actually was FBI. Can't check the corpse till the cops get done at the donut shop."

Offline Kate Hammerhill

• Adept
  • Quick Silver
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2011, 02:08:46 AM »
Kate relaxed a little more and nodded in acknowledgement to Frank, considering his idea carefully before responding with a suggestion of her own. "I was thinking of setting fire to this dump, the blaze would melt all the lead we've tossed around here and make it that much harder for the feds or whoever to go all CSI on whatever's left." She paused for a breath before continuing. "The fire would keep the authorities and most of the Rollins occupied, and I'm pretty sure the owner's got fire insurance on a tinder box like this." She gestured with her left hand to encompass the rundown motel.

"As for finding the hick posse, I think we got that covered." She gave Angelo a pointed look. "Your boss told you to get your fat ass to some warehouse, how about you tell us where to find that warehouse and the Rollins?"
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:53:27 AM by Kate Hammerhill »

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: February 07, 2011, 05:33:41 PM »
“Yeah” Angelo says glumly. “They got a place, some “compound” or something. 12 miles north.” He rubs his chin on his shoulder.

“Look, wait”, Angelo looks confused—“How did you know about the warehouse, if you got nuthin’ to do with this?” He suddenly asks, confused.

Kate of course did not know about any warehouse, but using the word seemed to work out nicely in this case.

“Yeah, Mr. Ferucci’s delivery truck is supposed to be at the warehouse. Thats 10 miles west from here according to my information. Coming in from somewherenorth in Canada.” He glances at his shiny Breitling, “supposed to be in 9 hours or so.”

Pause

“We’re just here because the stuff is late, so we were gonna go to either the compound or the warehouse, and get Mr. Ferucci’s stuff. The Rollins are supposedly the best transportation men in the Midwest. So Mr. Ferucci's works with them. But I guess something went wrong because the truck is still not here, and that’s pissin’ Mr. Ferucci off, so----”

It was getting convoluted fast. Angelo wasn’t the best explainer, earnest though he seemed. No orator he. At least he didn’t seem to be lying. Wasn't the type.

They could hear the muted sound of thunder, gently rolling across the sky, above their heads and above the flimsy motel roof.

Portentous.

5 hours 44 minutes to go…
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 06:26:57 PM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2011, 06:45:56 PM »
Outside a gust picks up as Cutter glances through the room’s window. Weather is changing. Stuff blows around the motel parking lot.

Wait---Cutter notices--tha’ hell?

His beloved F150. From his angle up here, he can see at least 2 tires are flat. Bastards. Little hope for the 2 on the other side.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 07:01:13 PM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2011, 06:57:01 PM »
Kate eyes Angelo as a cat would a mouse.
Frank eyes Angelo as a bear would a rabbit.
Angelo blinks a few times, and tries not to look at anybody.

12 miles north…

The Goon Squad was assembled.  10 of them in 5 separate trucks, three pick-up trucks and 2 SUVs. A tight little convoy about become a high-speed one.

{Inside compound}

“You want me go with them boys?”
“No, Earl, I want you to come to the warehouse with me. If anything, and I mean anything goes wrong over there, if the driver gets out and farts wrong, shoot.

Earl says nothing. Just picks up his Bushnell sniper-scope off the table and looks through it, like a kid looking through a kaleidescope. Smiles. Attaches it to rifle.

60 miles east...

Laura Froelich gets inside her Crown Vic and starts driving.

200 miles north...

The big, shiny semi is doing 70/mph.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 08:16:30 PM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Kate Hammerhill

• Adept
  • Quick Silver
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2011, 11:29:19 PM »
“Look, wait”, Angelo looks confused—“How did you know about the warehouse, if you got nuthin’ to do with this?” He suddenly asks, confused.

Late grinned wolfishly and gestured to the cell phone in her left hand. "Your boss was none too quiet yelling at you to get to some compound, it wasn't too hard to conclude a compound would likely be a warehouse of some sort. It's hard to hide illegal goods in a trailer park."

At seeing Cutters confused expression Kate joined him at the window, noticing his truck and resting a sympathetic hand on his shoulder. "Good thing my Cuda was moved around back, flat tires are a &^%$@ to get fixed in this part of corn country." Another car, Mercedes license plate "Mommalovesus", that must be Angelo's car, how sweet of him to care about his mommy. How sweet indeed."

Looking over at Angelo she remembered the embers of revenge burning in his eyes from looking earlier. Time to remedy that little oversight, in the best way she knew how; courtesy of thugs like him. 'Anglo, I get the real strong impression you'd still like to do something about me killing your brother..." She let her voice fade as she pulled out his cell phone for a second time and thumbed through the saved numbers.

"The thing is you're not going to, in fact you're going to hope real hard I never come to suspect you're behind any sort of trouble that drifts my way, otherwise," She paused and copied a few noteworthy callers onto her own phone. "I promise you, after dealing with any of your attempts at settling this score I'll have to hunt down and kill some of the people you like calling, such as mom for example."

Kate's voice held the same uncaring icy tone she used when describing his brothers death earlier when she spoke again. "I might not be as creative as you leg breakers, but I'm sure a blow torch and few starving rats could make things memorable. Or perhaps I'll just let the Russian Mafia hear about your mom and a few of these other people being trusted associates of mine and let them deal with it?"She paused to let the depths of her promise sink before continuing. "So either we let this matter rest here and now, or you can attend a lot of funerals in your future, your call."

Looking over at Frank and Cutter she abruptly changed the subject. "So are we putting this place to the torch and clearing out or what?"
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:55:43 AM by Kate Hammerhill »

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2011, 12:40:02 AM »
"I'm all for clearing out except for those flat tires, I've only got one spare and one can of fix-a-flat," Cutter said. "But I bet truck tires are fairly easy to come by in corn country, everyone and their gran-pappy drives a truck of some sort," he glared at Angelo.

"I don't give a rats ass about compounds, warehouses, the Russian frakking mafia, or late deliveries," Cutter said. "I'm just supposed to go fly fishing with my burned out CO so my therapist of the month will give me a little gold frakking star on my evaluation. And now some asshat had to go and cap my CO's ranger son and duty honor and a crapton of respect for a man I have to do something about it," he said. He patted his chest pocket for a pack of smokes gone 8 years ago.

Offline Kate Hammerhill

• Adept
  • Quick Silver
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2011, 10:31:12 AM »
"By the time we scavenge a set of spares and get them changed the hick squad will be all over this place in force," Kate replied, quickly coming up with a viable alternative. "Drive it with the flats a quarter mile or so from here then conceal it in the corn rows and I'll give you a lift in the Cuda, then we can pay a visist to grampa night vision ask a few questions and maybe borrow a set of tires off one of his rigs?" She let the offer hang, seeing little better alternatives, sensing the impending storm was gathering force, and this time it would be more then a brief squall.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 05:06:30 AM by Kate Hammerhill »

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2011, 12:05:02 AM »
"I'll be honest, the thought of leaving my truck in a corn row doesn't exactly give me god feelings if you know what I mean. No disrespect to you or your car, but where I come from there are three things you don't mess with, a man's truck, his hunting dog, and his wife. In that order," Cutter said.

(wanted to post something just to keep it in my mind)