llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Slow Going...  (Read 6722 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Slow Going...
« on: July 27, 2014, 06:20:25 AM »
For those that didn't know, I am currently in the process of moving.  I have enjoyed the Tuscany region in beatiful Italy for over 3.5 years and it is time to go. Currently moved out and in a hotel for our last couple days before making the trip back to the states, New Jersey to be exact. Muro, here I come!

Because of this, I have been somewhat absent lately and that will probably continue through September. We hope to purchase a house and get moved in as quick as possible but, until then, it will be hard to spend a lot of time online.

At least I can finally read the entire Wheel of Time series. I have yet to finish the last book. Started the series again right before visiting Ancient Gamer (which was a trip of a lifetime!!) and started book 12 today. Can't wait to complete that after 20 years of reading and rereading that d**n series!!

Even though I am not on as much as usual, rest assured that there is a bunch of planning going on for the next version. Notes, notes and more notes.

So feel free to add ideas to appropriate forums. As mentioned, I am rewriting every character of the site from scratch. WITH COMMENTS! :)  It is going to be a blast and better than ever.

Have patience, "I'll be back."

:)

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Hall of Heroes 10
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: Slow Going...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 07:16:50 PM »
This is all very mysterious and exciting!! (Well, except the New Jersey part. That's mundane :P)

Soon, I will visit you!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 05:44:59 PM »
Trading Tuscany for New Jersey... 

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 07:14:23 AM »
Still in moving mode unfortunately.

Still in a hotel.

Finished the Wheel of Time series a bit ago. Started it when I went to Norway so devoured it. Ending was worth the wait. Definitely my favorite series ever, if only because of time invested and amount of times I read the first 5 books.

Pretty solid on using a laravel backend with angular as the frontend. If I am going to rewrite it then I am going all the way. AG mentioned ngix instead of apache for the server. Sounds like fun to me as well. :)

Yeah moving sucks. On top of that, my car that was shipped is one of the thousands missing or delayed: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/08/watchdog-hundreds-of-u-s-military-families-missing-vehicles-after-returning-from-overseas-106034.html

So hotel living sucks. Not having our car sucks (they are paying for a rental so I do have a car, but once I get mine...who knows what kind of damage it is going to have.)

BUT, we finally close on the house on Tuesday. Move in, taking a week off to paint and do a bunch of other work to include getting some new floors put in before we get our furniture. So the end is nigh!! Will be another month before I am settled enough to get back into any type of schedule, but soooooooooooooooooooooooooooon.

Then I will be ready for houseguests....or visiting Manhattan. ;)

Level 3

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 06:05:39 PM »
ngnix is pretty interesting. It's less resource-hungry compared to Apache, so that's a plus. Not sure how well it integrates with PHP though, and I know the .htaccess magic will have to get replaced with other handwaving, so that'll be a fun experience I'm sure.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 02:06:26 AM »
The beauty of nginx is the efficiency and simplicity of it all.

Only thing that can get a tiny bit hairy is running the proxy_pass function to map to other ports and sites, but other than that it is a walk in the park.

Other than that... Will we see some Manhattan + New Jersey synergies as a result of your recent move, Strolen?
Rumor has it that some of our most skilled GMs live in your area ;)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 08:19:15 PM »
In the house for a couple weeks. New floor installed which took up our entire living area with either plywood underfloor exposed or flooring piled up. But not it is done.

Boxes can start moving and things can start improving. Once I get settled I will spend a bit of time going through the Citadel to see what has happened during my absence and update a few things. Then the projects begin and I will be around more regularly again. Looking forward to causing more errors in the Citadel soon!

Thanks for your patience during my longer than expected transition. This has been the worst move EVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only thing that could brighten my day is to visit Muro in the big city. :)

Level 3

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Hall of Heroes 10
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 08:24:57 PM »
Lets do it!! Aaargh, we should have done it last weekend, ComicCon!!!

Any time, chief, pick a day we'll grab some...sushi or burgers or something!!

Going to a Russian Sauna this Saturday, if you want a taste of Brooklyn...and a crazy Russian Sauna experience :P

Or we could hit the Museum of Natural History.

Or, something else!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 08:26:52 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 05:46:52 PM »
BACK!!

Computer set up.
New, fresh version of linux loaded to commemorate the clean start.
Desk situated somewhat near a window to daydream a bit and half on a wall to put up my inspiration and notes.
LED nightlights installed.
New speakers situated and balanced.
A few design and coding classes queued up for study and learning.
Code editors and new developer folder created to start breaking the Citadel again.
A fresh attitude and a fresh start to do the right thing for the Citadel again!

Level 3