llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Freetext. Is it really free? (Symposium)  (Read 2113 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Freetext. Is it really free? (Symposium)
« on: October 24, 2007, 09:55:26 PM »
I thought I'd do a fun thing and gather all of the arrows, bolts, bows, and quivers into a codex today. I was all happy and proud of myself (:p), until valadaar said something close to  "....why not just slap an "Archery" freetext on the subs?"

This burst my bubble. And i realized something. Freetext confuses me. Moon did some good 'splainin in chat, but I would just like to throw this out there for discussion (sorry, manfred :p)

Why freetext? to group stuff together, make things easy to search and find what you're looking for. Ok, got that part.

But then, as Moon confirmed in chat when i questioned him, I realized that we dont need any codeces really in that case, do we? Not Islands, not Planets, not New Takes, not Inns and Taverns. They would all lose their purpose.

I was explained that codex was early citdel, and now with freetext, codeces were indeed going the way of dinosaurs. This made me sad.

Earlier, came the golems and massages and smellies  :P

/WHAT/ exactly is an acceptable choice for freetext and what isnt??? Moon's definition was "If it is a word that doesnt have to be explained and is generic, it is a suitable freetext" (sorry if I'm not quoting you verbatim). In which case, I thought, my campaign world freetext, Mourn's Hewdemia, and many others are /NOT/ in fact applicable freetext options, as per that definition.

Moon then explained that "Settings" is coming soon (next "V"), and then we can make the world a better place, or something like that.

This is all a bit confusing.

Anyhoo, to avoid rambling, I ask you, what are your thoughts? Is freetext the future? a fad? necessary? an indispensible stroke of genius?

Is it really free?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 11:18:37 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Re: Freetext. Is it really free? (Symposium)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 10:19:19 PM »
Mostly, I've been using freetexts to link generally related things, while I use codices to link specifically related things.  For example, I've been using "Sorrow" to link all the things related to The Court of a Thousand and Nine Sorrows.  I also have a codex of the same name, but that's just for the actual demons that are of the Court.  Everything in the codex has the freetext, but there are some related subs, like the Despised, the Thralls, and the Palace of Infinite Corridors that I didn't want to put in the codex.  I've also been giving the npcs (and I believe the general lifeforms) the demon freetext, so I could make the individual demons available for someone who didn't want to use the whole set.

But I have to say, I'm not entirely sure I've been using them the way they're intended.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 10:24:47 PM »
Muro's Exhibit A:

But I have to say, I'm not entirely sure I've been using them the way they're intended--Ria

Thanks for jumping in Ria! (the demon freetext explanation is a good one btw. Making them available seperately via freetext, for someone not aware of their context and just looking for demons.)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 02:59:14 AM »
I like the fact that we have codices and freetext because it allows me to make parallel groupings of things.

Example: I want to make a Demon Codex.

There is already a Demon Codex (Thanks to AG, I believe) but I dont feel like putting my handful of ideas onto the end of someone else's codex. These are my demons. So my demons are all nicely contained in my Codex, and I can link to AG's Of Demons Codex.  Codices do tend to get long, and I think once a certain mass is reached, people stop using the codex, mostly because they become too large and unwieldy.

Onto Freetext, I can have something that I would put the Demon freetext on that is not specifically a demon, such as the plot Demonic Hysteria, in which there is actually no demon at all. It is demon related, but would not go into a demon codex.

I think the short answer comes up to be:

Lascilo farlo il senso desidero a, non il senso pensate che dovrei.

Let me do it the way I want to, not the way you think I should.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 04:46:17 PM »
I am probably wrong, but this is my opinion.

Freetext:
These should be more defined and specifically geared towards something. Freetext should not be a random willy nilly things just slapping a label on subs otherwise they immediately lose their value because there are so many.

They also allow to put a sub into multiple areas that they are appropriate to. We all know the catagory system will never be 100% encompassing so freetext gives that freedom to create a somewhat arbitrary yet still useful categorization system. You can browse freetext categories just as easy as any main categories. (more or less)

There is no limit to how many subs are in a freetext category. Anything that is related to that freetext can be added and it doesn't necessarily have to be the subs primary theme. Gives more options for subs to be seen more which is the overall purpose of any navigation ideas we have.

Codex:
More limited in size but much more dynamic in content. Codices can be themed or gather together many otherwise unrelated things and ideas. You gave great examples already on how codices can be used similiar to freetext but in an even more free way.

I personally have absolutely no problem with a codex having the exact same subs as a freetext. Just two ways to view the same content. Anything to get views is good. I don't see the duplication as a problem at all. It might be easier to find them in freetext, but finding them in a codex would be just as good. But obviously, the codex allows you to do much more and have it immediately visible.

The category system in codices is more structured through the top layer of the main categories. This may require a change since the codices are growing. The next version should give us the power we need in this respect. (don't ask when, I have no idea)

No denying the similiarity, but they each definitely provide very distinct advantages.

A codex is really up to the author's whim and I don't see many times that it would be necessary to change anything an author does with a codex. It is simply another form of creativity on how you put submissions together.
A freetext does, however, require some control so it doesn't get out of hand.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 04:09:46 PM »
Both are useful.  A codex can compile things that would be missed on a freetext search, and vice-versa.
Midian Dark Fantasy Roleplaying Game
The Official Game of the Internet
http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
http://Lost-Souls.hk.st

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
  • Awards 2011 Sub of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 03:51:41 AM »
See, i was thinking that instead of "freetext", I consider it more as "tags". Eg: dragon, troll, orc, etc... whereas a codex is to organise the information coherently with an introduction. For example, a setting could have a setting primer in the codex, as well as a freetext (eg: setting_A).

If you post a sub regarding orcs in setting_A, it could be in the codex, as well as having two freetext: "setting_A" and "orcs"

a good example of a codex: http://www.strolen.com/content.php?node=1497

At least, thats my take on it.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."-Philip K. Dick

Offline Tusserk

• Veldruk Jai
  • Journeyman
  • Slightly Besmackled
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 03:40:22 AM »
Morning, afternoon, evening... whichever,

I have been wracking my brain over this for about an hour now... what the hell IS free text? I first noticed it being mentioned as I was going through the various Guild recruitment quest posts "input bearded dwarf toes" as freetext. Yet there does not seem to be an explination as to what freetext actually is or how to use it anywhere that i can find.

Yes, I just necro'd a 6 ear, 8 month post :D

Online valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 06:47:16 AM »
Tags, keyword, whathaveyou.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 12:32:04 PM »
This is where the main site and the forums have a bit of a disconnect. Freetexts are something associated with submissions on the main site. For example, if you take a look at this submission, along the right-hand side you'll see a sidebar that says "Freetext", and has a few entries in it. Those are the freetext attached to the submission, and allow you to group together related subs. One of their main uses is to collect together settings, as demonstrated with the Coldforged freetext.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Tusserk

• Veldruk Jai
  • Journeyman
  • Slightly Besmackled
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 01:19:28 PM »
well then... I was hoping for a much more grand and mysterious explanation... I feel slightly disappointed in not noticing or figuring this out on my own.  :dizzy:

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Månlufsen (The Moon Bum)
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator 2011 Society of the Year
    • Campfire Stories
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 04:17:50 PM »
well then... I was hoping for a much more grand and mysterious explanation... I feel slightly disappointed in not noticing or figuring this out on my own.  :dizzy:

Careful, when you peer past the curtain, you'll see just how simple things are ;)
Chosen of Aktagarti – Divine Synod Guild – Level 1
Might: 2 | Agility: 3 | Wits: 4 | Charm: 3 | Spirit: 4 | Power: 2

The old man, grey-haired, braid hanging down.
He is clothed in faded brown robes.
His craggy face is turned up, bathed in moonlight;
He looks for his goddess to smile upon him.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 10:42:51 AM »
It is in the simplicity that the Devil of Complexity lies. 

We just need to make sure that freetexts don't proliforate without checking.  So having the freetext of Elves, Elfs, Elven, El'ves (because they wanted to link Elves but only certain elves - and in this case it should of been a codice). 
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©