llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Idea for a race of fish people  (Read 905 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Locations Guild Questor
    • Awards
Idea for a race of fish people
« on: November 17, 2010, 09:43:06 PM »
I'm planning to create an entry for the current quest which features a race of aquatic piranha like beings  that hail from my ''Eshal'' setting. Like real piranhas they tend to be highly anxious creatures which occasionally devour each other as well as other living things they encounter .  However, I also want them to be sentient creatures (albeit dimly sentient) who regard their propensity for eating  sick or wounded  prey as a sacred obligation to keep the eco-system running; their habit of dining on the weaker members of  other races ensures that only the strong will survive and that the waters will never be polluted; this had mdse them monsters in the eyes of their foes but they see themselves almost as environmental stewards. Is this a plausible idea? I’d love to hear your feedback.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Re: Idea for a race of fish people
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 10:18:17 PM »
It sounds plausible, and I actually like the idea of a "misunderstood" race that "is only helping."
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Online Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 12:35:45 AM »
Are they individually sentient or more as a group/mob sentience? Individually, it may be a crazy mixed up fish world, but maybe if they were more in tuned together like a hive/school type mind it would be easier to put together. Help explain how they travel, maybe suddenly the entire school of them would turn on a few weak like they finally determined were holding back the community, they all identified a threat and as a group would suddenly turn and descend on it etc. Actually, maybe I am just thinking kinda of Little Nemo and getting directions. Hmmm. Like it though, but maybe a hive mind with different voices answering depending on the question. Nemo school of fish with their own agenda and strength to carry out could be dominating if they chose to do something crazy.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Locations Guild Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 11:30:06 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking in terms of the fish being controlled by an individual hive-mind. However, like you said, they should have some indivdual capactiy to send information to each other. However, just like with real pirahnas, the hive-mind is a bit fractured and rudimentary in comparision  to the of certain other creatures due to the fact that every member of the shoal is well aware that it can easily become a meal for a larger and more ferocious shoal mate. Do you think it's possible to pull this off?
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©