1024x768
5 (55.6%)
1280x1024
2 (22.2%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: July 04, 2003, 07:38:19 AM

Author Topic: Screen Resolution  (Read 1995 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Screen Resolution
« on: July 04, 2003, 07:38:19 AM »
Just taking a survey.

What screen resolution do you use on you most used computer?

Depending on your answer. What screen resolution, if a choice HAD to be made, would you suggest designing a website at?

Basically trying to find out how many 8x6 there are still out there and how big a factor they are on this site in particular.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline ephemeralstability

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Screen Resolution
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 09:24:16 AM »
I'm usually on an 800x600, and it doesn't take too kindly to being set at higher resolutions :(

ephe!
"Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes" - H P Lovecraft, The Festival

Offline Siren365

• Knight
    • http://www.invented-truth.net
    • Awards
Screen Resolution
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 12:58:08 PM »
Ahem. Well, I'm in (or rather was in) college for web design, and recalling back the information from my Design Theory class, we were told to always design for the lowest screen resolution possible. That way, it doesn't look bad on low resolution screens and it looks okay on high resolution screens.

However, whenever I design a website, I always design it for 800x600. So I'm constantly switching between screen resolutions.

Hope that was helpful.
Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar.. Ask yourselves, all of you... What power would Hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to dream of Heaven?
- Morpheus

Offline Agar

• Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
Screen Resolution
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2003, 02:03:22 PM »
I use the biggest resolution possible for my computer. Then again, I have a 21 inch monitor, so I think I would fall in as a silly expetion to the rule.

Siren's post is a great one. Keep that advise in mind at all times. I've seen pleanty of people designing their sites on high-end computers with fast processors, and when they go back to the dorm room with their 350 mhz computer and log on, the site takes forever to load. Not everyone has updated technology. Keep the site simple and clean so it's accesible to everyone.
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Screen Resolution
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2003, 05:04:46 PM »
I do keep that advise, that is why I am was just wondering. My optimum webpage would be 50k with no bells and whistles, I tried to stay as near as I could to that on the main pages, but the forums just explode because of the nature of them.

Funny how clockspeed now affects web pages. Used to be just your bandwidth, but now with all the extra crap, sites can turn into downright dogs sometimes.

I do test everything in 8x6. I never use it and I still assume that this site scales to fit (right?  :wink: )  but I know there are people that still use it. Just like Internet Explorer. I almost never check my site with it (it works in IE right?  :wink: ) but people use it so I have to make sure it works at least once on my end. Since it is only about 95% IE (mooooo, members of the herd) I am not too worried if it is not compatible.

Just wondering. The Citadel isn't changing, more of a curiosity question then anything else.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Screen Resolution
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2003, 12:32:08 AM »
I use 1024 at school, but the family computer at home is 8x6.  And yes, o fearless leader, the citadel works fine in IE.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Online MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
oyyyy
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2003, 03:46:54 AM »
While I have cranked resolution at home, at work I have a lower res situation.   It is a pity that the browser systems can not automatically adapt to resolution and pull things appropriate to each resolution.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Ylorea

• Knight
    • http://www.home.zonnet.nl/ylorea
    • Awards
Screen Resolution
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2003, 01:58:00 AM »
I use 1024* X and I disigned my own website around that as well.

Using netscape your site works fine, at least so far.....

Yours Ylorea

Please feel free to visit Teolin. (Simply press the "www" button)