llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Poll

Do we play with alignments, or dispose of them?

I wanna be LN... no, CG! Gimme my favourite crutch!
0 (0%)
Meh.
5 (83.3%)
Down with the alignments! I want to write a 1200-word psychological profile!
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Movers and shakers  (Read 11648 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
Re: Movers and shakers
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 05:13:04 PM »
Here's an offer based on Echo's suggestion:

The noble Baron {X} has recently expanded his vast domain, by trade or conquest.  As he is aging and quite busy with his local business, he has assigned his son {Pariah} to set up the newly acquired land for expansion.  As the child is not entirely trusted - whither by youth, misdeeds, or simple lack of favor - he has sent an agent along, {Valadaar}, to both assist and spy on the young noble.  {Pariah} trusts him, even if isn't aware of {Val}'s true purpose, because the spy is a childhood friend/naturally happy and helpful/a very good spy.  Journeying with them is the priest-monk {Dozus}, a delegate from a Grunnor free territory bordering {X}'s territory and fearing conquest; {Dozus} is sent by his superiors to curry favor with the baron and make the Grunnor valuable as a trading partner rather than a province.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 06:11:11 PM »
Speaking of character creation, couple of questions:

> What would the clerical domains of Sahud and Dalondar be?

> How much leeway do I/we have in the descriptions of the various races?  For example, skin & hair tones, arrangement & number of horns/natural armor, number of fingers, etc.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor NPC Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 02:15:34 AM »
As for the domains of gods - you are free to pick fitting domains, or even draw up one that suits the deity. For example: Dalondar, domain Artifice: gain a Craft (Item) Feat or Skill Focus: (Craft), also, use Mending at will.
Spells:
1: Magic Weapon
2: Make Whole
3: Greater Magic Weapon / Magic Vestment
4: Stoneskin
5: Major Creation
6: Wall of Iron
7: Mordenkainen's Sword
8: Iron Body
9: Maze

Thematic, fitting, easy!

Other than that, he may have the Protection domain, Earth domain and Fire domain (Fanfare).

As for Sahud, it is more difficult: the Death domain is extremely unfitting for him, as it includes spells that kill and some that raise undead. I will give it some thought.
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor NPC Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 02:25:36 AM »
You can describe the character any way you wish; the races are quite varied. Some are especially prone to variation, for example the Denrow, who can decide to have any freaky fur pattern when they are maturing (resulting in star shapes, inscriptions, ornaments - as long as it is awesome.)
The Grunnor will grow vastly different horn and plate patterns, and their body "hair" (ok, wires) varies also - some have naturally occurring Mohawks, some beards interspersed with horns, some are bald, others grow manes. Grunnor hairdressers use tweezers.
Likewise, their appearance depends on by how many points they raise their AC.
Humans come in any skin tone, breadth and width, from pygmy to overgrown; they can also 'contract' the skin tone according to the climate they are in, leading to usually unseen combination of features and skin tones.
Hadir can be any color and shape within the general confines of slim and lanky, too.
Nagini have widely varied colors and head crest types too.
And so on.
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 07:16:33 AM »
How about this domain for Dalondar:

Metal Domain
Metal affinity: Once per day, a single item is transmuted to a non-precious metal (copper, bronze, iron).  The item takes on all properties of the material (hardness, vulnerable to particular spells, etc.).  The transmutation lasts for 1 hr/Cleric level.

1 Magic Weapon: Weapon gains +1 bonus.
2 Heat Metal: Make metal so hot it damages those who touch it.
3 Keen Edge: Doubles normal weapon's threat range.
4 Rusting Grasp: Your touch corrodes iron and alloys.
5 Wall of Iron[M]: Creates an iron wall with 30 hp/four levels; can topple onto foes.
6 Blade Barrier: Wall of blades deals 1d6/level damage.
7 Transmute Metal to Wood: Metal within 40 ft. becomes wood.
8 Iron Body: Your body becomes living iron.
9 Repel Metal or Stone: Pushes away metal and stone.

Also, for Sahud, there's the Repose domain from the Divine Rules section of the SRD:

Repose Domain
The Repose domain is similar to the Death domain, but is granted by good-aligned deities whose clerics are barred from casting evil spells.
Granted Power:
The character may use a death touch once per day. The death touch is a spell-like ability that is a death effect. The character must succeed at a melee touch attack against a living creature (using the rules for touch spells). When the character touches, roll 1d6 per his or her cleric level. If the total at least equals the creature’s current hit points, it dies.
Repose Domain Spells
1 Deathwatch
2 Gentle repose
3 Speak with dead
4 Death ward
5 Slay living
6 Undeath to death
7 Destruction
8 Surelife
9 Wail of the banshee
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:31:34 AM by Dozus »
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 02:26:35 PM »
The Metal domain lacks the Man-O-War and Iron Maiden spells, and the 7th level spell is not too fitting, but other than that, I'm cool with it.

As for Sahud:
Repose is neat, likewise; as an added boon, you may choose that the domain power is non-lethal, inducing a coma instead.
As for other domains, let's go for Oracle, Dreaming and Community from Complete Divine.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 04:49:34 PM »
The Metal domain lacks the Man-O-War and Iron Maiden spells, and the 7th level spell is not too fitting, but other than that, I'm cool with it.
Yeah, I thought the 7th level spell was odd too.  Got it from the Wizard's site, cited from the Faerun guide.  I wondered if it was a typo, like it should be wood to metal, but that only makes slightly less nonsense.  Any suggestions to change it?
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 05:03:39 PM »
Toss Mordenkainen's Sword in, or Major Creation, or something like that.

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2010, 08:25:48 AM »
Is there anything I can do to speed up the process? For example, shall I write up a few pieces of the setting, or something?

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2010, 10:50:28 PM »
I need to finish fleshing out my character sheet, but I think I've got the basics down.  We just need to finish hammering out character relationships/background.  Any thought given to the previous suggests, gentlemen?
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Golden Creator Master Questor Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 09:20:02 AM »
I'm good with them myself. I'll need to put some time into this tonight.  Ranger/Rogue.  Question - any specific skills you think we need apart from the obvious?

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2010, 05:25:00 AM »
Questions aimed at Pariah:
a) What race are you?
b) Do you wish to describe your home nation, or have me do it?
c) Are you OK with having a rather generous number of siblings, back home?

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2010, 07:30:41 AM »
Also: there is still one optional slot open.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
Is starting wealth per the PHB?
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2010, 02:03:13 PM »
Nay. Starting wealth is: mundane equipment ad libitum, as would be expected of a rather well armed expedition.

Special equipment, such as a) weaponry not covered by the PHB and b) magic items after agreement with me (basically, every character will have one unique custom-made item suitable for him - send me an idea).

An exception are potions, scrolls, wands and other one-shots: every one of you can have 2500 gp worth of those.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2010, 05:24:04 PM »
A) Human
B) Don't care either way, I've just been struggling for the past few weeks to find my words.  I'm in a language class again and my fragile grip on the English language is slipping and shattering and going all to pieces.
C) I had been going along the assumption that he had, Papa's a horndog.

Character - Foppish child of wealthy baron, knows how to use a sword but most likely hasn't actually been in the midst of combat, bright colors.  Not the sharpest crayon in the shed, but he does know how to connive his way into getting people, if not like him, than to do what he wants them too.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Golden Creator Master Questor Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2010, 07:09:14 PM »
So no tank then? I may have to revisit my choice then...

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2010, 03:54:43 PM »
No, he'll be able to tank, he just hasn't done it before.  Pretty boys can get hit in the face, look at Ovechkin...
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline NorthShore

• Amateur Thinker
  • Journeyman
  • Fear the Kardboard Katana
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2010, 12:40:40 PM »
I'm in if you need one more. Disclaimer: I will be outta town next week, Tuesday-to-Tuesday, within which I may not post at all. Otherwise, I'll be able to post regularly.

Which classes / roles need to be filled? If I read correctly, you have Cleric/Monk, (Fighter/Barbarian)/Bard, and Ranger/Rogue. Maybe throw in a little arcane...?
"I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."
-Albert Einstein

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2010, 03:37:20 PM »
Apparently, this thing ain't going to take off within that week, so if you feel like enduring my GMing, writing elaborate flowery paragraphs and none of the gents object (they may do so via PM to me), then hop on board.

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2010, 03:51:28 PM »
Anyways, feel basically free to write up a character; emphasis lies on a pronounced personality, flavor and strong motivation.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »
I give my consent!  :up:

Promise I'm working on the character sheet, Mr. GM.  Work's been rough this week, will try to finish by tomorrow night.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2010, 03:27:13 PM »
Welcome aboard then, Northshore. Thus, we are fully stocked. When can we expect to begin?

Offline NorthShore

• Amateur Thinker
  • Journeyman
  • Fear the Kardboard Katana
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2010, 03:59:23 PM »
Yo, as I am dreadfully behind on my responsibilities and haven't finished my char sheet, I think I will bow out of this game. Sorry for the hold-up. Maybe I'll join up again later.
"I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."
-Albert Einstein

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2010, 02:22:55 AM »
Echo has congress season now. Meaning, 3 weeks hence and forth between scientific conferences, soaking up XP.
Meaning: this thing ain't moving anyway.

Yet: how long can it take to write up a freakin' DnD character, guys? 1 hour tops. So. Get movin'.