llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Poll

Do we play with alignments, or dispose of them?

I wanna be LN... no, CG! Gimme my favourite crutch!
0 (0%)
Meh.
5 (83.3%)
Down with the alignments! I want to write a 1200-word psychological profile!
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Movers and shakers  (Read 11378 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor NPC Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
Movers and shakers
« on: April 19, 2010, 03:52:17 PM »
I am considering running a role-play with rather buff heroes in positions of importance; the setting would be a dangerous world, both hostile and ripe with strife.

For the sake of convenience, I'd go with DnD 3.5 th edition, as almost anyone is familiar with it.
(a different possibility is the recently free Talislanta - thanks Moon)

Anyone interested?
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Master Questor Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
Re: Movers and shakers
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:23:48 PM »
Of course :P

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor NPC Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 02:31:10 AM »
Ok, Val, you got a spot. I'd like to have three or four characters, not more.

I'd like to set the first chapter in a smallish old realm occupied by a greater power. Players would be agents of that power, say, a councilor wizard, the duke's son, knight-captain, special operative, one of the higher-ranking priests in this backwater, etc.

As for characters, I will post available races soon; the starting level will be 6th. We will use 'gestalt characters' found in Unearthed Arcana (or PHB 2? check both). Basically, these level parallel as two classes, picking the best features of both (best base attack, all class features, best save, best hit die - so, a fighter-wizard gets good Fort and Will saves, a good base attack, a d10 hit die and a full wizardly spell progression, along with both wizard and fighter bonus feats, but he still suffers arcane spell failure in armor; a Sorcerer-Wizard has a crappy base attack, a d4 hit die and only high Will, as both the classes share those features - but his combined arsenal of spells is not to be trifled with!).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 02:33:36 AM by EchoMirage »
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 02:35:37 AM »
Other than that, the characters will need ample background, a pronounced personality and strong ties to each other, including but not limited to common upbringing, long-standing friendship, a mentor-student relationship or even the lovers' bond.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 03:02:43 PM »
I'm in.  What kinda world is it? Generic pseudo-european fantasy or what?
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 03:28:19 PM »
It will be highly non-generic, non-western. No elves and dwarves for ye! Basically, the ideas are boiling up in my head, and will be hammered into the keyboard once another Strolenatus is tempted by my cryptic phrases.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 03:33:13 PM by EchoMirage »

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 10:03:35 PM »
Mm, a mid-level gestalt campaign?  Count me in.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 01:49:16 AM »
Okay then, crew-wise, we are set, with another possible window.

Now, please be patient while I prepare the setting primer. ETA Friday, most likely.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Master Questor Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 10:17:43 AM »
I'm afraid this might be too high paced for me at the moment - I regretfully withdraw.  I will have no time before next weekend, and I do not wish to slow you down Echo.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 10:32:50 AM »
No, Val, it's not rushing anywhere! Don't feel pressured, man. I said I will post the first game-related material by the weekend; not that the game will start right away.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 10:19:11 PM »
RE: The alignments question.

RP-wise, alignments don't bother me too much.  I don't take them as strict commandments so much as general guidelines.

Mechanics-wise, abandoning alignments could allow for some very interesting gestalt combos.  Paladin/Bards, Monk/Barbarians, etc. could be conceivable.  I imagine as long as they make sense in terms of character, it could exist.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 10:54:06 PM by Dozus »
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 02:20:39 AM »
Okay then: we will be describing the character in detail; the personality especially. This means alignment-dependent spells will be re-defined. So does Protection from Evil still ward, but only against Demons and Undead and other archetypes, epitomes and paragons of wickedness. Holy smite pwns the same class of targets, etc.
As for gestalt combos:
>Paladin-bard: quite easy to imagine. He will have to cut back on the larceny, though. Also, heavier than light armor still interferes with bardic spellcasting.
>Monk-barbarian? Magrul the Dancing Bear! Fists of fury! Okay, can imagine this. Like above, mind armor restrictions.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 06:18:48 AM »
Sounds like a plan.  Just remembered that druids have alignment restrictions also, though I think the only gestalt combo that would change is Druid/Paladin.  It's another imaginable one: the acolyte of the forest, defending her patron god's lands with all the fury of nature.  Also:
>Monk/Bard: The classic archetypes would have to be changed, since the monk is the unmoving rock and the bard a wandering spirit.  Could be a minstrel who picked up some brawling in his travels, or a monastic who meditates using music.
>Barbarian/Paladin: A faithful warrior in the service of Kord or some similar deity, perhaps.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 07:10:19 AM »
Please, check the setting primer posted under http://strolen.com/guild/index.php/topic,5100.msg66690.html#msg66690

After browsing it to your satisfaction, please do the following:
> Decide on a power (city-state, kingdom, ...) which is the patron of at least one of you, preferably of more.
> Discuss with each other what roles you want to play, and what the relationships between them are.
> Write your PCs (normal equipment is freely accessible, exceptional stuff after discussion with me).
> Let me know and post the stuff!

Thereafter, the introductory post will commence.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 07:15:19 AM by EchoMirage »

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 09:44:11 AM »
Couple quick clarifying questions:
> I didn't see any kingdoms or whatnot mentioned in the primer.  Are we to just create our own, or do you have something more specific in mind?
> Are all the races listed available for PCs?
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 10:47:01 AM »
Indeed, you can agree upon a home kingdom. This game will be slightly more of a cooperative effort.
I imagine it so that the setting will slowly get fleshed out - after all, it is a thing I just began developing, with nothing carved in stone.

Also, all of the races are available as PCs. If you come across an obvious gross imbalance I missed, please tell me.
You may of course play a different race, from some supplement or what-have-you, but you will a) be a minority in the setting b) if the race has racial hit dice, it may get complicated with the whole gestalt character thing.
As with the setting, the races are not written out into full subs; if you think of something really awesome to add, let me know.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 03:23:18 PM »
Stats.  Are they random, point buy, whatever we feel like?  Just wondering.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 05:51:07 PM »
You can either hit me up for a random assortment of stats, determined by rolling 4d6 for each, discarding the lowest, and then it's up to you to arrange them (possibility for great sets and for somewhat 'meh' sets as well; I re-roll if there is nothing higher than 13 and if the total bonus is not higher than +1)...
... or you can buy using the following system: you count as rolling 4d6 for each stat and discarding the lowest roll. That makes 24 dice rolls total. You get four 1s, four 2s, four 3s, four 4s, four 5s and four 6s, distributing them between the six attribute rolls (four each) and then discarding the lowest. This makes for good stats, yet not great ones.
Aaaand you also get the free attribute upgrade at lvl 4.

Can be?

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 09:35:53 PM »
Okay, my current vision for my character is a Grunnor working in the service of his god, either Dalondar or Sahud.  Like most Grunnor, he is driven and dedicated, letting little stand between him and the goals of his church; likewise, he is often cold in recognizing the workings of other races and faiths.  However,both  the church and his homeland have designated him as a delegate to increase cooperation between the Grunnor and the other races, primarily the Vaetir.  Thus he strives, though often falls short, in attempting to feel not only compassion but empathy for others.  His personality is somewhat cold, taking very slowly to humor and lightheartedness, but dedicated and protective to those under his watch.  He is contemplative not only in religious matters but in all things.  In making plans with the group he may seem to argue often, but it is only to find the root of their situation and approach problems from a different angle.

Class-wise, I'm thinking some combination of the following: Monk, Cleric, Paladin, Bard, and/or Rogue.  His specific functionality in the part will depend on the combo, but I'm aiming for a balance of fighting ability and group function.  I'm leaning toward Monk/Cleric for the speed, shared key trait, and synergy with the unarmored Monk style with the Grunnor's natural armor.  Paladin/Bard would be interesting as well, having the Paladin's natural stopping power combined with the Bard's many functions, plus they share a key trait.  Both sets more or less match the character as a missionary sort.

Thoughts?
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 10:28:49 AM »
From me, you get approval for:
*Pronounced personality: yes.
*A life path that requires excessive interaction with others: yes.
*Potential for personal growth: yes.

Now, what is important is the input from your compatriots. I am open to questions, but do not wish to interfere in your creation process too much :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 01:58:19 AM by EchoMirage »

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 10:06:05 PM »
Cool.  Any thoughts, Pariah and (if you're still in) Val?
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 06:28:38 PM »
I'm still nebulous about what I want to play. 

I'm starting to think Ranger/Rogue.

Pariah - Do you want to tank? :P

Personality wise, I think I'll try and stretch and go for a gregarious type.  Not sure why he'd be associated with Grunnor in an official basis.  Personally, he might take him as a challenge to get him to 'lighten up' :)

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 08:04:47 PM »
I figure whatever organization/patronage our little team agrees upon, my Grunnor hieromonk can be a missionary assigned to said patron.  Perhaps some human or otherwise lord curious about foreign cultures and religions?

If you go Ranger/Rogue and cover vital skills, I can go Monk/Cleric and focus on healing and support, which leaves Pariah to tank.  Or conversely I could try and tank as a Paladin/Something, so P isn't pigeonholed just yet.

I'd take the "lighten up" challenge as a fine opportunity.  serious grunnor iz serious.  :P
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
Sorry, I'd been busy for a while.  I've got no problem tanking, that's pretty much what I'd been thinking of anyway.  As far as character goes, I'm not sure as to how I'd manage to tie myself into it.  Childhood friend of val or knight-errant guard of the priest or even dilettante son of the lord we're working for or whatever, I don't have any ideas as far as character yet... As far as the mechanical side of this goes, I'm looking at barbarian/bard or fighter/bard right now, depending on what my backstory ends up being.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 03:21:20 PM by Pariah »

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 04:09:27 PM »
Let me offer a suggestion, then:
- You have been sent by a lord to preside over the takeover of a backwater province.
- One of you is a childe of this lord; this is your chance to prove yourself. You are neither the eldest nor the most favored, as of now.
- Dozus' cleric can be affiliated, as an advisor, or even mentor; he can also be self-invited, on a divine quest, or sent to oversee the young hotshot, ordered by his superior. Or anything else or a combo thereof.
- Roguey-sneakey can be a friend, independent employee, business associate of a merchant cartel, or anything else you manage to come up with and makes sense.