Extraneous Voices of Picayune > Citadel Tavern

What is your next gaming purchase?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Scrasamax:
Lacking a game group, or time to get one together regularly (Wife, Horses! Y U No leave me free time???) I don't look at buying many game supplements.

When I do make it up to the super awesome bookstore http://mckaybooks.com/locations/knoxville/ I generally look for old World of Darkness books from my personal Golden Age of Gaming, plus anything that looks interesting. Usually I find an Exalted book, or something like that but the pickings despite being a large section, are rather slim. There is apparently a gaming community in Knoxville that knows about the bookstore, but sadly an hour drive is a bit out of my ability (work schedule).

I do like reading what other people are buying though.

d**n I miss Battletech and Mechwarrior games. My players really hated that Liao liason officer that kept putting them on garrison duty and screwing them out of their pay and tying up their dropship in customs.

MoonHunter:
I live in the San Francisco Bay area, with the 10th, 40th, and 60th largest cities in the US nearby and cities of various sizes butted up next to each other inbetween.  While many of you could not imagine living in a location "this many people" compacted into geographic area with the traffic, noise, and lack of open space, there are some advantages besides a Starbucks every few miles (about 10 to 15 minutes apart):  lots of stuff.  I live within a 30 minute drive to 3 friendly local game stores (of seriously varying degrees of friendly, knowledge, and stock), but I still hit one of my local used bookstores to check what has been checked into their stock.  Stores that are closing out their gaming materials and a couple of estate sales have graced their shelves with some wonderful stuff.   (Alas, I owned most of it...)

There has not been a lot of brand new in my world in the last year, but filling in some old gaps.  The only "cool things" were the Blue Rose Companions and the World of Aldera, The Jovian Chronicles, and Disporia (which is still kind of new).   

Scrasamax:

--- Quote from: MoonHunter on July 03, 2011, 12:47:55 AM ---I live in the San Francisco Bay area, with the 10th, 40th, and 60th largest cities in the US nearby and cities of various sizes butted up next to each other inbetween.  While many of you could not imagine living in a location "this many people" compacted into geographic area with the traffic, noise, and lack of open space, there are some advantages besides a Starbucks every few miles (about 10 to 15 minutes apart):  lots of stuff.  I live within a 30 minute drive to 3 friendly local game stores (of seriously varying degrees of friendly, knowledge, and stock), but I still hit one of my local used bookstores to check what has been checked into their stock.  Stores that are closing out their gaming materials and a couple of estate sales have graced their shelves with some wonderful stuff.   (Alas, I owned most of it...)

There has not been a lot of brand new in my world in the last year, but filling in some old gaps.  The only "cool things" were the Blue Rose Companions and the World of Aldera, The Jovian Chronicles, and Disporia (which is still kind of new).

--- End quote ---

Lived in Houston TX for about 5 years, the 4th largest city in the Us and the largest in Texas, 2.1 million people. There were a assortment of game stores, comic stores, used book stores, and there was no problem finding gamers anywhere, even stumbling across them at the local Barns and Noble. Now, Knoxville is the 3rd largest city in TN, with a staggering population of 183,000 give or take, and literacy and by extension, gaming take a back seat to other things, like hunting and running meth labs. God I miss Houston

MysticMoon:

--- Quote from: MoonHunter on July 03, 2011, 12:47:55 AM ---I live in the San Francisco Bay area, with the 10th, 40th, and 60th largest cities in the US nearby and cities of various sizes butted up next to each other inbetween.  While many of you could not imagine living in a location "this many people" compacted into geographic area with the traffic, noise, and lack of open space, there are some advantages besides a Starbucks every few miles (about 10 to 15 minutes apart):  lots of stuff.  I live within a 30 minute drive to 3 friendly local game stores (of seriously varying degrees of friendly, knowledge, and stock), but I still hit one of my local used bookstores to check what has been checked into their stock.  Stores that are closing out their gaming materials and a couple of estate sales have graced their shelves with some wonderful stuff.   (Alas, I owned most of it...)

--- End quote ---

I live in a much less populated area (just a few hours north of the Bay Area, BTW) and until recently the only way to see any decent selection of games was online; but that's normal for living in a rural area. There is one local game/comic store and for awhile if you weren't into 4E D&D or Savage Worlds, you were kinda SOL (when I mentioned to the owner that I hadn't enjoyed D&D since 1st Edition, the temperature dropped a few degrees :wink: ). The latest owner has created a much friendlier atmosphere and carries a wider variety of material, plus there are just more gamers hanging around.

I've had a sudden hankering for sci-fi, so I'm going to slowly collect Mongoose Publishing's Traveller books and SSDC's Battlelords series. I cut my gaming teeth on Star Frontiers and it has always been my favorite system but the tech is horribly dated and incomplete (well, it seemed forward thinking in the 80's :D ) If anyone has suggestions on good sci-fi gaming material, I'm open. I already have Star Frontiers, 2300 AD, and Mechwarrior (d**n, aside from the Savage World toolkits, I just realized that I haven't bought a sci-fi game since the early 90's.)  I'm still intent on using the Mini Six system, but I love pillaging other games (and Strolen's, of course) for material.

MysticMoon:

--- Quote from: Scrasamax on July 04, 2011, 07:35:50 AM ---Lived in Houston TX for about 5 years, the 4th largest city in the Us and the largest in Texas, 2.1 million people. There were a assortment of game stores, comic stores, used book stores, and there was no problem finding gamers anywhere, even stumbling across them at the local Barns and Noble. Now, Knoxville is the 3rd largest city in TN, with a staggering population of 183,000 give or take, and literacy and by extension, gaming take a back seat to other things, like hunting and running meth labs. God I miss Houston

--- End quote ---

Around here it's a competition between the meth labs and the large marijuana grow operations. It sucks living in such a beautiful area but being afraid to go hiking for fear of "disappearing."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version