llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: What is your next gaming purchase?  (Read 8553 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
What is your next gaming purchase?
« on: March 27, 2010, 05:42:38 PM »
So I have been looking at games in the online catalogs thinking about what I want to buy in the next six months or so.

Basic Roleplaying's Rome.  Given. Have to have it. On order at my game store.

Some of the other Basic Roleplaying Stuff, most likely in PDF
http://catalog.chaosium.com/index.php?cPath=37

I have Disporia and I am looking at some of the possible things they might put out for it.

Lastly, I may pick up some of the Mongoose Traveller books:  Agents, Scounts, Merchants, and Rogues.  I am waiting for a discounted book somewhere, as these are good.. but probably won't play them. 

So what about you?  What are you thinking about?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Re: What is your next gaming purchase?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 02:16:17 PM »
So Got all that. it was good.

I want a bunch of things for Mutants and Mastermind.

Paragons - a new setting for the game

Mecha and Manga - Mutants and Mastermind does anime.

Warriors and Warlocks - Mutants and Masterminds does swords and sorcerry.

Peril at King's Landing: A Song of Ice & Fire supplement.

Silver Age suppliment when it comes and the Golden Age suppliment about the same time (Own Iron Age). 

I sound like a Green Ronin commercial don't I?

That is because most of the games I currently like ang go don't have anything I need or want to buy for them (Heck Disporea doesn't have anything supplimental that is not free and fan made.) 
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline promanz

• Nomad
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 08:33:33 AM »
Very interesting books. The price is not high. I like them :up:

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 01:41:58 PM »
So other people can chime in.  Or are you all not buying any RPG products? 

This summer, nothing has inspired me to pick anything new up. 

Except this...   

http://abneypark.com/market/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46&products_id=188

Abney Park's Airship Pirates RPG

Someone screwed the timeline up

It's 2150. The Earth's recovering from the Great Apocalypse of 1906.

From the steampunk sky-cities of Isla Aether and High Tortuga come the airship pirates.You hoist the Jolly Roger, spin your propellers and take to the skies. Yours is a life of adventure, plunder and infamy.

The American wilderness lies below. Beast-haunted wastelands are criss-crossed by the tracks of the freedom-loving Neobedouins. Armoured railroads connect the Emperor's widely scattered domains.

In the walled, fog-shrouded cities, people huddle in forced Victorian squalor, lorded over by the upper classes. The Emperor's clockwork policemen patrol the streets and the ultimate threat of the Change Cage hangs over those who would rebel. Rising from the dockyards, the frigates of the Imperial Air Navy patrol the clouds, hunting pirates and threatening the sky-cities.

You've got an airship. You've got a crew. You've got one of Doctor Calgori's fancy chronominautilus devices. All you need now is a good swig of rum (trust us, you'll need it), and you're ready to set sail on the winds of time and plunder history itself!

Who knows, maybe you'll even screw up the timeline some more?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Locations Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 02:46:26 PM »
This game sounds pretty cool. And you offer enough juicy detail so one can run with it now, without buying it :)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 11:05:04 PM »
Lacking a game group, or time to get one together regularly (Wife, Horses! Y U No leave me free time???) I don't look at buying many game supplements.

When I do make it up to the super awesome bookstore http://mckaybooks.com/locations/knoxville/ I generally look for old World of Darkness books from my personal Golden Age of Gaming, plus anything that looks interesting. Usually I find an Exalted book, or something like that but the pickings despite being a large section, are rather slim. There is apparently a gaming community in Knoxville that knows about the bookstore, but sadly an hour drive is a bit out of my ability (work schedule).

I do like reading what other people are buying though.

d**n I miss Battletech and Mechwarrior games. My players really hated that Liao liason officer that kept putting them on garrison duty and screwing them out of their pay and tying up their dropship in customs.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 12:47:55 AM »
I live in the San Francisco Bay area, with the 10th, 40th, and 60th largest cities in the US nearby and cities of various sizes butted up next to each other inbetween.  While many of you could not imagine living in a location "this many people" compacted into geographic area with the traffic, noise, and lack of open space, there are some advantages besides a Starbucks every few miles (about 10 to 15 minutes apart):  lots of stuff.  I live within a 30 minute drive to 3 friendly local game stores (of seriously varying degrees of friendly, knowledge, and stock), but I still hit one of my local used bookstores to check what has been checked into their stock.  Stores that are closing out their gaming materials and a couple of estate sales have graced their shelves with some wonderful stuff.   (Alas, I owned most of it...)

There has not been a lot of brand new in my world in the last year, but filling in some old gaps.  The only "cool things" were the Blue Rose Companions and the World of Aldera, The Jovian Chronicles, and Disporia (which is still kind of new).   
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 07:35:50 AM »
I live in the San Francisco Bay area, with the 10th, 40th, and 60th largest cities in the US nearby and cities of various sizes butted up next to each other inbetween.  While many of you could not imagine living in a location "this many people" compacted into geographic area with the traffic, noise, and lack of open space, there are some advantages besides a Starbucks every few miles (about 10 to 15 minutes apart):  lots of stuff.  I live within a 30 minute drive to 3 friendly local game stores (of seriously varying degrees of friendly, knowledge, and stock), but I still hit one of my local used bookstores to check what has been checked into their stock.  Stores that are closing out their gaming materials and a couple of estate sales have graced their shelves with some wonderful stuff.   (Alas, I owned most of it...)

There has not been a lot of brand new in my world in the last year, but filling in some old gaps.  The only "cool things" were the Blue Rose Companions and the World of Aldera, The Jovian Chronicles, and Disporia (which is still kind of new).

Lived in Houston TX for about 5 years, the 4th largest city in the Us and the largest in Texas, 2.1 million people. There were a assortment of game stores, comic stores, used book stores, and there was no problem finding gamers anywhere, even stumbling across them at the local Barns and Noble. Now, Knoxville is the 3rd largest city in TN, with a staggering population of 183,000 give or take, and literacy and by extension, gaming take a back seat to other things, like hunting and running meth labs. God I miss Houston

Online MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Månlufsen (The Moon Bum)
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Questor 2011 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 03:08:27 AM »

I live in a much less populated area (just a few hours north of the Bay Area, BTW) and until recently the only way to see any decent selection of games was online; but that's normal for living in a rural area. There is one local game/comic store and for awhile if you weren't into 4E D&D or Savage Worlds, you were kinda SOL (when I mentioned to the owner that I hadn't enjoyed D&D since 1st Edition, the temperature dropped a few degrees :wink: ). The latest owner has created a much friendlier atmosphere and carries a wider variety of material, plus there are just more gamers hanging around.

I've had a sudden hankering for sci-fi, so I'm going to slowly collect Mongoose Publishing's Traveller books and SSDC's Battlelords series. I cut my gaming teeth on Star Frontiers and it has always been my favorite system but the tech is horribly dated and incomplete (well, it seemed forward thinking in the 80's :D ) If anyone has suggestions on good sci-fi gaming material, I'm open. I already have Star Frontiers, 2300 AD, and Mechwarrior (d**n, aside from the Savage World toolkits, I just realized that I haven't bought a sci-fi game since the early 90's.)  I'm still intent on using the Mini Six system, but I love pillaging other games (and Strolen's, of course) for material.
Chosen of Aktagarti – Divine Synod Guild – Level 1
Might: 2 | Agility: 3 | Wits: 4 | Charm: 3 | Spirit: 4 | Power: 2

The old man, grey-haired, braid hanging down.
He is clothed in faded brown robes.
His craggy face is turned up, bathed in moonlight;
He looks for his goddess to smile upon him.

Online MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 03:13:48 AM »
Lived in Houston TX for about 5 years, the 4th largest city in the Us and the largest in Texas, 2.1 million people. There were a assortment of game stores, comic stores, used book stores, and there was no problem finding gamers anywhere, even stumbling across them at the local Barns and Noble. Now, Knoxville is the 3rd largest city in TN, with a staggering population of 183,000 give or take, and literacy and by extension, gaming take a back seat to other things, like hunting and running meth labs. God I miss Houston

Around here it's a competition between the meth labs and the large marijuana grow operations. It sucks living in such a beautiful area but being afraid to go hiking for fear of "disappearing."

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 07:05:14 PM »

Around here it's a competition between the meth labs and the large marijuana grow operations. It sucks living in such a beautiful area but being afraid to go hiking for fear of "disappearing."

Not so much afraid of disappearing, but the meth labs and pot farms sound pretty familiar.

Online MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 01:59:07 PM »
For the past year or so I've been collecting a pretty random assortment of games. Amazon has an amazing selection of used games for reasonable prices. Some of those have been old books I remember from the early days but never owned myself (1st edition AD&D, Gamma World, Traveller, etc) and others have been more recent supplements from random systems (Pathfinder, D&D 4E, Savage Worlds, etc) that I plan to pillage for material.

If I ever find a decent way to read PDF's, I would be spending a lot more time on RPGNow/DriveThruRPG.

I also scored a set of 3rd edition Ars Magica books from the Bazaar at DunDraCon, along with a handful of other stuff.

I haven't been able to make much use of this stuff yet. The next several months look to be pretty busy at work (fingers crossed on getting a good replacement programmer by fall) but after that I fully intend to spend more time gaming and writing.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 03:27:38 PM by MysticMoon »

Online valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 02:32:28 PM »
Among other things, my Ipad is really good for reading pdfs, etc.

I read 4 of the Game of Thrones novels on it without any eyestrain, etc.  I would have killed for my rulebooks on an ipad back when I actively gamed.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Online MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 03:26:35 PM »
I love reading novels as ebooks and have been doing so since 2002 (started on Palms with 160x160 resolutions.) Game books are a totally different beast. Most of them are in a 2 column format that makes me spend too much time scrolling up, down, and sideways on anything smaller than a full desktop display. I haven't tried on a 10" tablet, though. Have you (or anyone) read 2 column PDFs on one? If so, how is the experience?

Online valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 03:48:46 PM »
When used in landscape mode, two pages were displayed side by side as if looking in an actual paperback.

Thats how i read the series.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 11:15:46 PM »
OVA: The Anime Role-Playing Game

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1655572033/ova-the-anime-role-playing-game

In many ways, Kickstarters can be Pre-Orders.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Gossamer

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Just kill me already...
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 2013 Best Play By Post Player 2013 Newbie of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 04:46:28 AM »
An anime roleplaying game without rules? So basicly a bunch of Mary Sue's and Stu's then... Though I know someone who would appriciate it.

Uhm, I'll probably treat myself to another Terraclips box, sooner or later. http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php?view=catalog&system_id=2

Good value, especially the Buildings of Malifaux set. Just make sure that you buy the connectors, which stupidly enough aren't included. I had to wait like 2 months before I got mine. As a general rule of thumb, two boxes is minimum. I built one structure and 80 clips(of a bent variety) almost weren't enough. One box of connectors contain 3 types x40 connectors(120 total).

The actual cardboard models are decently sturdy, nicely painted, and above all, they didn't skimp out on content(except for the seperately sold connectors).
Samotny Osovjaltek - Dwarven Guild – Level 1
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 02:25:35 PM »
I have gotten a little crazy at rpgnow. So PDFs for me.

Monsters and Other Childish things.
Spellbound Kingdoms
Adventures in Oz  Ebook and print
Technoir
Pendragon   (Got the new edition)
Honor and Intrigue
Mecha vs Kaiju Setting (finally got it... wanted it a while)

Oh and Fate Core

My Next Paper purchase will be New Fire
http://www.newfirerpg.com/

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 03:08:54 PM by MoonHunter »
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Online MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 10:45:47 AM »
Checking out Fate now. Can't believe I never came across that before.

Also eagerly awaiting my physical copy of Numenera.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 08:14:54 PM »
Checking out Fate now. Can't believe I never came across that before.

I am going to send you a shovel UPS so you can dig your way out from under that rock.  FATE in its dozen or so incarnations at this point have really pushed the boundries of RPGs and Story Games.  Since Spirit of the Century found a way to simplify Fudge Character creation  AND add crunch, Fate has come a long way.  (To be honest, I really liked Fudge, but once you added Aspects and Fate points, Fate became a very different game

Fate Core.  Get it.  Don't ask why.  Just get it. Read it.  See where a lot of games are going.

Starblazer Adventures Sci-Fi Fate (Love it for the mapping a campaign system).  Strangely enough, one of my favorite versions of Fate for reasons I can't really explain. 

Dresden Files (The RPG for the setting.  Two massive books that details the entire setting background, how to organically build your own from that setting foundation, and every possible power you can go with.   Yes, it is two books and really large.

ATOMIC ROBO.  Buy this.  Buy the comics first, then you will love the Adventure Scientist game. 

Legends of Anglerre:  Fantasy Fate - Includes a lovely organization management systems.  Not my favorite version, but notable.

If you are more of a "conventional gamer" or "Old School Gamer", then Strands of Fate is probably the best one to get. 

If you don't have Spirit of the Century, you are missing out on a treat. 
http://www.faterpg.com/resources/

Icons is technically fate, but not as much as other games. 
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Online MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 08:29:48 PM »
Yessir.

I pre-ordered Core and FAE; most of what you named off is going on my "to buy" list. I'm still trying to grok the system but I love the concept.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 03:16:32 PM »
A pencil-and-paper RPG set in a fictional world based on the myths, cultures, and geography of Precolumbian Mesoamerica.

http://www.newfirerpg.com/

My next new hard copy purchase.  Might as well go with it in color.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 09:38:09 PM »
When I can scrape up the funds, I'll be finding myself a copy of BESM (Big Eyes, Small Mouth) and BRCS (Big Robots, Cool Starships). I've read enough reviews on their utility to give them a whirl.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --