llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: wizards keep - map-help  (Read 1227 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline ameli_h

• Apprentice
    • Awards
wizards keep - map-help
« on: March 19, 2010, 06:09:19 AM »
Hi there!

I need some help. I want my PCs to go to (if they want...) an old wizards keep. Like the one in Terry Goodkind books "Sword of Truth". I´m a newbie GM so I´m having a bit of trouble making the map for the keep.... It´s supposed to be complicated, I want them to be able to get lost down there. There will bee no monsters, but traps. The keep have been empty for 1000 of years, so many traps will fail or will just give minor damage.
To me the keep is an school for young wizards, like a college maybe. With rooms to sleep in (is it called dorms?), lecture halls, dining room/s (Harry Potter-style?). I´m thinking different levels in the keep for different knowledge, the newbie wizards cant pass onto the next level until they have learn this and that and reached a certain level of expertise... Oh, and of course... there will be many libraries, small ones, big ones. And some hallways displaying different magic items, gifts from wealthy parents and even some weird stuff. (A nail in the wall with a sign next to it saying "Cloak of invisibility", but is there really something on the nail?? And stuffed monsters that will spoke the PCs.. hehe)

Soo... give me your best map, and I will show you mine. Lets take the weekend to think it out. =)

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Re: wizards keep - map-help
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 06:35:27 AM »
Sounds like fun. I am sure there are those with some maps floating around the Citadel but, if you are looking for some map inspiration, a great site to try is http://www.cartographersguild.com/ . You may find some ideas and maps you can use right away.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline ameli_h

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 07:11:03 AM »
Sounds like fun. I am sure there are those with some maps floating around the Citadel but, if you are looking for some map inspiration, a great site to try is http://www.cartographersguild.com/ . You may find some ideas and maps you can use right away.

Thanx for the link!!

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor Elite Questor Elite NPC Guild NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 09:54:58 AM »
On a different note, you may make an abstract map, with rooms and interesting corridors defined, but simply stating "A connects to B, C and H."
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Online Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 05:01:59 PM »
And randomly change the letters everytime they go into another room...
One can cure oneself of the not un- formation by memorizing this sentence: A not unblack dog was chasing a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field.  Orwell

(13:23:49) (Chinchillas): See? You can write like an 4$$h013 when you're not writing like a pompous 4$$h013.

Offline Agar

• Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 09:02:02 AM »
Let me make sure I understand your concept fully. You want a large, multi level structure with no monsters and only some low threat level traps to keep people out, and the building will be full of libraries and magical items on display?

Now, that kind of thing works in "Sword of Truth" because the protagonist was looking for a specific, world-saving magic item, but unless the characters are role-playing very well and have a similar specific target, I know my group take advantage of situation and strip the place bare. How are you planning to have this not turn into a shopping trip through a compendium of magic items? And more so, what's going to limit the PCs power once all is in hand?

My advice would be to treat the encounter like a 5 room dungeon. There has to be some reason people haven't taken things from the palace before, or previous residents haven't returned to gear up, what happened? Some traps and animated items might present a puzzle for them to get past. Some setback to keep things moving, they could be teleported outside, or the hall of magical weapons only has illusionary displays of powerful magic items, no real gear. The final challenge could be straight out of Sword of Truth, some barrier that blocks certain people or things, like no paper or steel can pass, and if they want their reward, they have to leave a pile of gear behind them.

It's a classic fantasy idea to have a castle full of gear, I'm just trying to figure out how the next gaming session doesn't involve the players declaring themselves gods.
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.