llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Gamers in your area?  (Read 4567 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Citisized Slick Face

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Gamers in your area?
« on: June 30, 2003, 03:37:32 PM »
What percentage of that island or Yokota, Fugi, Pusan would you say is into D&D?
In the midst of a dysfunctional world there is function.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Gamers in your area?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2003, 07:28:46 AM »
Never been to Okinawa yet so can't answer that.

Yokota has its niche of roleplayers. There is an occasional request in the base paper looking for players or looking for a game. Not an overwhelming amount of people by any means and the roleplaying selection here is minimum which probably reflects the community. There are Magic Gatherings every month or so that get an ad in the paper so there are probably more of that then anything.

Most of the energy here goes towards the console and computer games form my experience. There are some awesome LAN parties sponsored by the base (50+ people playing any number of games in our recreation center) and the group I hang with have personal LAN parties where we set up a house and 10 or so of us get together and frag each other (Unreal) and snipe each other (Raven Shield) and pretty much just hang and work on our computer screen tans. Others do the X-box parties and do their thing that way.

We keep busy with school most of the time so our free time is pretty precious in my clique.

PS...
It is obvious I am in Japan and from a few posts scattered throughout he can pretty easily find out I am in the Air Force. Okinawa is a major Air Force station in Japan and was a good guess, I am actually stationed at Yokota so if he actually deduced all that then this is a perfectly legit question. Probably could have been phrased better so he doesn't baffle the rest of the grog swilling Citadel.....but baffle is one of his middle names I am sure, right Slick?

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Gamers in your area?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2003, 01:30:25 PM »
Oh!
So that's what Citisized means!
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
In the attempt to make this a constructive thread.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2003, 04:20:12 PM »
How many nerds, I mean roleplayers, are in your area? You got a big following or are we in the minority in your area as well?

Level 3

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Gamers in your area?
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2003, 04:21:40 PM »
Don't really know. The only roleplayers I know of in my city are my friends and the greasy bunch down at Dark Horse Games, but I'm sure there are more...

...Then again, it is Idaho...

Offline Citisized Slick Face

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Gamers in your area?
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2003, 08:13:10 PM »
Well for the record Strolen I was in the Marines and was stationed in Oki. Landed in Yokota and did cold weather training in Mt. Pusan & Fuji. So yes it was a legit ? I encountered individuals in NaHa outside base of Camp Foster, who did sumin similar to this. I do have a wickedly, twisted mind and creat from dreams mostly. Which reminds me  Strolen, I noticed you erased Gooney Goo Goo. That was my first attempt in a roleplayers site and its deleted. FIne, but the Taco Turtle story I would like back  for my records. In hopes of writing short stories and being published. Roleplayers are very secretive here in Philly, outside here I dunno the how pop it is.
In the midst of a dysfunctional world there is function.

Offline Almatari

• Grand Master
    • Awards
Gamers in your area?
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2003, 12:09:09 PM »
Haven't met any but my friends older brother. We keep to ourselves here in Indiana.
Trees!!!
A tree fell in the forest. A man didn't hear it. He is now dead.

"Dont talk to it, Merry! Don't encourage it!"

"Don't touch it! You don't know what it is!"

Offline Siren365

• Knight
    • http://www.invented-truth.net
    • Awards
Gamers in your area?
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2003, 02:02:08 PM »
I'm the only roleplayer I know of in my area. In fact, if you even mention the word roleplay to people, they look at you as if you've grown a second head. But that's Alabama for you.
Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar.. Ask yourselves, all of you... What power would Hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to dream of Heaven?
- Morpheus

Offline ephemeralstability

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Item Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Gamers in your area?
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2003, 05:09:05 PM »
The Yorkshire roleplaying scene is fairly sparse, but I've started a few groups playing. In Cambridge there are lots of roleplaying opportunities but no time to take any of them up!

ephe!
"Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes" - H P Lovecraft, The Festival

Offline strom

• Guardian
    • Awards
Gamers in your area?
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2003, 02:32:07 AM »
In the Lansing and Ann Arbor area, there are a lot of gamers. These cities are close to the colleges. Thus, are provided with fresh gamers every year. A lot of local hobby shops provide gaming rooms with battle fields and pieces to use; and special times are set aside for when the owners sponser games they also play.
Conan! What are three great things in life?

To crush your enemies; to have them flee before you, and to hear the lamenations of their women.

Conan The Barbarian

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Gamers in your area?
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2003, 12:19:06 AM »
Here at home there was a core group of about twelve people that were into RP'ing.  At school, there's a group of maybe twenty to thirty, spread out over the different genres.  That's the Bible Belt for you.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Nerds applenty around here
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2003, 03:54:11 AM »
I live in the deepest, darkest part of Silicon Valley.  The SF bay area has the largest nerd per square foot ratio of anywhere in the planet (except MIT and it is a fraction of the Bay Area's size).

Are all these Nerds gamers? No.  We are a more rarified breed than general nerd.  However, I live in an area with 8 really good game stores in a resonable drive, two big gaming conventions and 4 smaller ones, 2 big time and 4 small press table top RPG companies, and my area of the world is responsible for more gaming websites than anywhere else.  So, yah. Lots of gamers around here.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Gamers in your area?
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2003, 12:38:02 PM »
Quickly! You must give me your address so I can move to your area!

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
Gamers in your area?
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2003, 01:47:34 AM »
There aren't alot of us up here in northern BC. Given the looks recived for mentioning it, I not totally surprisedthat we tend to be an endangered species. None-the-less, we stand proud and spread the word. Surprisingly enough, we've even got a few converts in the last few weeks.
Anything is possible. Anything at all. However, probability is another matter....

Offline Ylorea

• Knight
    • http://www.home.zonnet.nl/ylorea
    • Awards
Gamers in your area?
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2003, 01:55:02 AM »
Hmm,

I have the feeling you are all talking USA or something like that.

I live all the way across the ocean, in Europe.... Out here in the Netherlands, there is quite a few gamers, but it tends to be realy (I mean realy) hard to find them.

Especialy since there are very few (good) gaming shops around. Most buy their equipment by mailorder here. (Great to have amazone around)

Yours, Ylorea

n.b. To go to my game, I have to drive around 45 minutes, if you imagine most people here feel that a 30 min drive to go to work is far......

Please feel free to visit Teolin. (Simply press the "www" button)

Offline Almatari

• Grand Master
    • Awards
Gamers in your area?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2003, 10:07:26 AM »
Wow! I have to (drive) ten minutes.
Trees!!!
A tree fell in the forest. A man didn't hear it. He is now dead.

"Dont talk to it, Merry! Don't encourage it!"

"Don't touch it! You don't know what it is!"

Offline ephemeralstability

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Item Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Gamers in your area?
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2003, 11:00:51 AM »
I'm not from the US! Yorkshire and Cambridge are in England! Roleplaying used to be a lot more popular over here, but there are still those who delve into its arcane arts. They can be hard to find, though things are getting easier since the LOTR film came out: its popularity did something to dispel the stigma which would ordinarily be attached to the fantasy genre...

ephe!
"Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes" - H P Lovecraft, The Festival

Offline Siren365

• Knight
    • http://www.invented-truth.net
    • Awards
Gamers in your area?
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2003, 12:46:05 PM »
I'm trying to get my friends interested in roleplaying. It's ashame that I have to practically get on hands and knees and beg my friends to just try it. I can't wait till I move!
Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar.. Ask yourselves, all of you... What power would Hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to dream of Heaven?
- Morpheus

Offline strom

• Guardian
    • Awards
Gamers in your area?
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2003, 04:08:01 AM »
I have not gamed in quite a while, but, hopefully, I will be able to switch shifts soon; there are quite a few people that want to play.

To crush your enemies; to have them flee before you, and to hear the lamenations of their women.

Conan The Barbarian

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Siren
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2003, 06:09:37 AM »
Once you get your friends "hooked" on gaming, you will find yourself badgered by them to run more often...
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline strom

• Guardian
    • Awards
Gamers in your area?
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2003, 02:16:29 PM »
Then you can spend long hours plotting, attacking and deceiving them.

AHHH. The pleasures of being the DM.

Conan The Barbarian

Offline Ylorea

• Knight
    • Awards
Gamers in your area?
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2003, 01:23:33 AM »
I personaly feel that both DM'ing and Playing have their own unique set of rewards...

That is why I do both.

I am a great fan of plotting for hours, to be able to foil the DM's plan. It can be just as rewarding and fun as plotting for hours to nearly kill your PC's.
(Last time I did not plot long enough and now they are dead)

Yours Ylorea

Offline strom

• Guardian
    • Awards
Gamers in your area?
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2003, 03:04:46 AM »
People I have played with were unimaginative wusses, that couldn't carry a game beyond a couple scenarios of hack and slash.

Conan The Barbarian

Offline Ylorea

• Knight
    • Awards
Gamers in your area?
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2003, 03:37:36 AM »
Oh, my players know about roleplaying and other parts of the game besides hack&slash....

It is just they often forget about the consequences of their acts.

(Who would have thought that banging the wall with a heavy warhammer would allert the chaingolems that we saw down the corridor.)

The game I play in has one person who is great at roleplaying, two who are average at best and one that is plain bad at it.
(The kind of person that comes up with: If our roque is going to play his lyre, I will start handig out rotten tomatos)

Yours Ylorea

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Re: Siren
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2003, 06:01:10 PM »
Quote from: "MoonHunter"
Once you get your friends "hooked" on gaming, you will find yourself badgered by them to run more often...

That is entertainingly true. Never thought about it but the last two places I lived as soon as a group gamed once, it was weekly if possible and complaining if not. If we get a new person to join they would be the motivation for the group to play again because they wanted to so bad.

Siren is right!! Hopelessly caught once you hear and heed the call.

Level 3