llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Warning!!!!  (Read 1736 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Warning!!!!
« on: November 30, 2009, 08:10:03 PM »
The title was more to get your attention than anything else but some will think it is a coming apocalypse anyway.

Eye R bak! With a Vengeance Part deux. I have been gone for too long and it is time to reestablish my supremacy...or something like that but less in your face and more polite.

What does this mean and what am I threatening?
I am glad you asked.

1. Bugs, first of all. They shall be once again conquered with extreme prejudice and malice. I apologize for the few that are still sitting in the queue. THEY WILL BE DESTROYED. XP will be divvied out to the patient ones that helped on that glorious quest and another will start with the same rules. More because the other was getting long and I fear to miss something. Rather start anew as there will be plenty more that I hope you want fixed/changed/updated as we go.

2. The forum will be upgraded...again. It might be a little painful as they changed the default theme and I intend to use the new optimized one. I actually plan on doing a fresh install of it so it will take everything back to the stone age for a little bit but it shouldn't be but half a day of me being annoying on that one. I will give you at least 10 minutes warning when I start that. :)

3. With that new forum will come a new default color scheme...Mathom help me. This might be one of the more painful parts for some. There are enough complaints about this site's colors that I feel it is necessary. No, I have no idea what exactly I want to do. The demo I had is a little too extreme for my taste (the one with the red, gold and green) but expect some variation on that. I have had very few people say they like the current colors and when it comes down to it, I don't care what color it is as long as YOU are happy. So if you have an opinion, give me some hex colors and I will run with it! There are plenty of resources out there (many linked from past threads) that will give help picking color schemes. I will try ANYTHING if you all want it!

4. User orientated. And by user I mean the average Joe, not you uber users that may still not understand some of the undocumented crap I have coded. And I don't mean that in a mean way, I mean that I screwed up by trying to do too much without giving any help along the way. There is a usability book whose theme is "Don't Make Me Think!" which is what I will slowly attempt to do throughout the site. You should be able to look at something and understand it, not have to hunt and guess what the hell I was thinking when I coded it! That is all my fault and I want to make it better.

5. With the user orientated focus, average Joe median, and Don't Make Me Think there will be compromises. Which is why this is a new point. There are a core of you that I love and absolutely DO NOT want to alienate so I will do my best to continue to have uber informational options for you. But the philosophy behind Don't Make Me Think will force me to slim down some of the pages with too much going on that confuses people. We want new users to join and contribute. I hear that often, sometimes with frustration aimed correctly at me because this is still NOT a very newbie friendly site. Part of the problem is that the mass of options and information overload continues to be too much for the average Joe first visiting. This will be slowly worked on...again. We started out that way but quickly go back to information filling up all the spaces. We need to look for that balance.

6. As always, I will need YOUR help. I will be the catalyst for discussion in most cases but if you don't like it then tell me. I have a very small ego, among other things, so you WILL NOT hurt my feelings. At the same time I will take your recommendations I will think, perhaps incorrectly, that my way is better. Give me time to test some things I feel strongly about. I have done A LOT of reading on this web usability crap, I will have google analytics giving me hints at what may or may not be working and there may be private conversations going on in facebook or google that are driving other things. I will never ignore a suggestion and I think I often do a good job of acknowledging any comments. If you are certain yourself, don't back down. Moon used to tell me things, I would nod and do my own thing and then come back to what Moon said in the first place. "I told you so" is quite appropriate but sometimes I need to see something not work, so have patience with me...we will get there!

7. For those that read or skimmed this far. Thank you for your friendship as we continue to move down this ever changing road. Thank you for your continued patience with my ecletic coding and continuous upgrading. This is not an upgrade, this is a retool. At then end of this I want all the features that are halfway or confusing to just work. This is a fix sidewaysgrade, not an upgrade or a total rework. I like the base it is built on, we just need it working!!!

Remember, the Llama Loves you!

Prepare for the Rise of the Strolenati!

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Re: Warning!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 09:45:54 PM »
Nooooooo! Not you!

:P

Good to have you back, Strolen. Just don't touch anything with a "4.0" sign on it ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 10:19:15 PM by Ancient Gamer »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 11:16:08 PM »
Will there be delicious cake? Do I get a shoddily made exotic weapon that leaks gamma rays?

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Pieh

• A Lordliest Scent
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • I accidentally the entire Citadel!
  • Awards Master Questor 2011 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Submissions 2010 Most Quest Submissions Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 01:19:39 AM »
Dammit, Strolen! You had me worried! I come to the forums and I see "Warning!!!!" as the new topic of interest. What am I suppose to think? I can handle renovations, but, FOUR-EXCLAMATION-MARK-WARNINGS SCARE ME!

Dammit.

Anyway. I'm with you all the way, Cupcake. ;)
Cultist Rule #1 - Never summon anything bigger than your head.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 05:58:51 AM »
I had 7 exclamation points 3 1's and 2 one's but downsized after a few hours of consideration I decided to not go over board. These are the kind of decisions that weigh on my mind and require great consideration.

I may make the site 4.0 anyway once we are done just 'cause. I may even skip that and go straight to 5.3.

The cake is a lie but I will have copious amounts of pie. As far as a gamma leaking weapon, all our exotic weapons come with a 1 use or 2-week money back guarantee so if you have any issues you speak with customer service.

Level 3

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 10:42:50 AM »
MERCY!!!

MERCY!!!!

7 exclamation points
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 2011 Sub of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 11:32:53 AM »
Yay! I believe this is the new Strolenati Manifesto.

:up:

Good luck with the bb update! May yer tribulations be few and mathom at your back

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."-Philip K. Dick

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 05:45:39 PM »
I want #dd0000 text on a #ff0000 background, ok? good... :p
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 08:36:47 PM »
When I saw the warning, I immediately suspected that if I hit upon the wrong page, Yog-Sothoth would suck my mind out and replace it with something gooey and caramel-flavored.

I've looked all over the site, but no luck so far.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 07:37:19 PM by Wulfhere »
"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 09:16:09 PM »
I want #dd0000 text on a #ff0000 background, ok? good... :p

Great choices! I will implement these changes on all of your submissions tomorrow. In the meantime, I found the color thread I mentioned.

Wulf, you looked all over the site, but have you tasted it yet? It might still be caramel flavored!

Level 3

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 2011 Sub of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 03:09:28 AM »
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 03:23:23 AM by dark_dragon »
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."-Philip K. Dick