llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Bizarre holidays  (Read 1030 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Bizarre holidays
« on: July 03, 2009, 09:10:22 AM »
Visiting a random website, it occurred to me, that we don't have enough of weird and bizarre holidays to celebrate.

Here's a few holiday to start with, I think we should make some more - let's see if we can fill out the whole year. :)

(from)
May 9th - International Sloth Day: Though November 19th is the official day for the sloth according to my calendar, I've been told by a reader of this page that they previously established May 9th to be International Sloth Day. I've got nothing against celebrating the sloth twice a year, or you can choose whichever one you desire. Just don't celebrate too actively, or you'll defeat the whole purpose of Sloth Day in the first place.

May 23rd - The Defenestration of Prague: This is an actual date in history, which warrants note whether you care about the actual event or not. On May 23, 1618, in Prague, a few royal officials were thrown out a window of Hradcany Castle by some noblemen, but survived the fall by landing in a cart full of manure.
More importantly, defenstration is easily one of the most totally underused words in the English language. For those who are unaware, it means "the act of throwing something or someone out of a window." The date for this event also falls on an extremely Illuminated day of the year, 5/23, which incorporates both the Discordian number 5 and our old friend 23. Fnord.

May 25th - Towel Day: Towel Day celebrates the life and work of Douglas Adams, who championed the many uses of the towel in his book series/movie/radio series/movie/tv movie/breakfast cereal, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Carry your towel proudly.

And of course:
19th of September - International Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline manfred

• Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Re: Bizarre holidays
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 04:56:55 PM »
Forgot this one: Pretend to be a Time Traveler Day on December 8th.

Beside many other things, you can't go wrong with this one:
 - Stand in front of a statue (any statue, really), fall to your knees, and yell "NOOOOOOOOO!"

Offline Dragonlordmax

• Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 07:20:58 PM »
Wait, is May 9th the day for sloth, or the day to celebrate sloths. Because I think the latter would be a better holiday.

And August 8th is Sneak Some Zucchini Onto Your Neighbor's Porch Day!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 02:54:01 AM by manfred »
He who says little speaks two syllables.
-God of Thunder

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 09:37:39 AM »
Well, I think in honor of Sloth as the guiding moral principle, you would be amiss to not celebrate sloths as its great embodiment.

---

Hey, here's a nice one: on July 18, thousands of zombies gather in Frankfurt, Germany and socialize. See the slideshow (original article).

Offline Pieh

• A Lordliest Scent
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • I accidentally the entire Citadel!
  • Awards Master Questor 2011 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Submissions 2010 Most Quest Submissions Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 08:31:50 PM »
http://www.nationaldayofslayer.org/

Some of the problematic methods of celebration are, well, problematic. I don't know if it's really bizarre to give a band a holiday, but the methods they suggest might be fun for a game.
Cultist Rule #1 - Never summon anything bigger than your head.