llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: A Tower of Grinding Gears and Rattling Pistons  (Read 601 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild
    • Awards
A Tower of Grinding Gears and Rattling Pistons
« on: June 26, 2009, 12:24:48 PM »
This was posted on the Paizo forums:

I am looking for some inspiration for a clockwork tower I am developing, and was hoping to steal some ideas from published adventures if anyone can name a few for me. The main thing I am looking for is ambience, room descriptions and decor, cruelly ingenious traps and puzzles, NOT so much monsters which the monster books I have are full of.

The two modules I am currently lifting ideas from are Wicked Fantasy's Against the Iron Giant, and DCC Vault of the Overlord (both awesome in their own right.)

I really want to give the whole thing a steam-punk, grinding gears sort of Barton Fink feel. And a cool trap or two would be nice.

I was quite certain that the Citadel's warped minds hold the answer to his question, so I directed him here.
"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Article Guild
    • Awards
Re: A Tower of Grinding Gears and Rattling Pistons
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 04:13:52 PM »
Spider room

In this large room, dozens massive pistons are moving. They are quiet and smooth, it is the machine somewhere beneath that makes that horrible noise, lost in thick clouds that cling to the floor. Up and down go the metallic legs, moving in their cycle, if this were a walking machine or a ship, you would know what they are for. What needs to be powered in this building you can only guess.

Now you can continue on your way, or try to get on that walk up there, here is the maintenance, there are the controls and perhaps more. It looks dangerous, but a sure climber could wrangle his through, a truly insane person could just jump from one piston to another.

If someone tries it, because of a bad idea or pursuit, remember the pistons are oiled in many places and dangerously sticky in some. Whoever falls in, will have its intestines squeezed out before they die. It's no trap.
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.