llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: When different types of mages fight...  (Read 3591 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Master Questor NPC Guild
    • Awards
When different types of mages fight...
« on: June 02, 2009, 04:54:28 PM »
ie-voodoo sorceror against Gandalf type wizard, necromancer against shaman ect,assuming they are both skilled at their craft who would win, and what would such a magical battle look like?

Online valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Master Questor Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Re: When different types of mages fight...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 06:21:41 PM »
I'd say whoever you want to win.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Hall of Heroes 10
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 08:50:13 PM »
Voodoo. Definitely. No doubt about it. A proper Houngan would string Gandalf up by his whiskers, douse him with chicken blood, piss on him, set his beard on fire, and make him a zombie in thirty seconds flat.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 06:17:27 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 11:44:31 PM »
This isn't so much a scenario of apples versus oranges but apples versus antelope.

Several questions to consider:

1. What are the power levels of the magical styles deployed by the two magi?

Gandalf the White would leave any mortal practitioner of voodoo hanging from their toes since in the Tolkien mythos Gandalf isnt a human but an Istari, a being rather akin to a weak Loa.

2. How fast are they able to cast spells?

A mage capable of rapidly casting spells is going to have an advantage over the mage who has to prepare half an hour, drawing circles, verve, chanting, getting their perspective of reality warped by drugs, sweat lodges, etc

3. How versatile are their spells?

The voodoo magi isn't going to do very well against a pyromancer, since his spells require physical components from it's targets ala fingernail clippings and hair. A zombi will be toast, and cursing is too slow. Against a necromancer, the voodoo ongan/ashkar will propably have an even fight, so long as it sticks to cursing and such and not who can raise the dead better

4. Is their a way for Magic Duels?

The Mage: the Ascension game had a magical combat system called Certamen. This was a formal ritual/spell where the two combatants squared off and contested their magical skill in a duel of wits, perception, and intelligence with a minimum of collateral damage. This also allowed magi of differing paradigms to duke it out, such as a God fearing Clerical Magus going toe to toe with a brass and steam steam punk technomancer

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 06:10:32 AM »
Voodoo practicioners would have to rely on stealth, gathering the required components in silence. No one would be able to best Gandalf type wizards in an open battle.

With required preparations both the necromancer and the voodoo practicioner would best the other spell casters. Unless the shaman initiated soul travel to possess the opponent, but possessing a strong willed magic user would be hard.

The wizards best bet would be showing up and just blasting away with his spells.

The shamans best bet would be to possess apprentices, townfolk and servants and try to assassinate his opponent.

The voodoo practicioners best bet would be to gather the physical components he requires and assassinate his opponent.

The necromancer... Well, he'd have to build his usual army of undead and send it after his rival.

Just listing the stereotypes. Of course they could summon demons and bind them to their service, or they could perform some death magic ritual or enchant mighty geased swords and give them to mercenaries, or whatever.

The possibilities are limitless.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline RGTraynor

• Midnight wanderer
  • Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
  • Awards Master Questor
    • Celduin campaign (private Yahoo group)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 07:17:10 AM »
Mm, I rather expect - as with most duels - it comes down to whomever strikes first.  Someone with a M-16 loses to the guy with a matchlock arquebus if the latter gets in the first shot.

So ... let the houngan, the shaman and the necromancer fiddle around with elaborate rituals; if I'm a punk combat wizard with Ice Sphere-18, I'm going to beat them into pulps.  The way for the ritualist to handle mixed magical duels is to try not to enter them.
It's not that I don't understand what you're saying.  It's that I don't *agree* with what you're saying.

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 02:38:36 PM »
"The way for the ritualist to handle mixed magical duels is to try not to enter them."

That is true, it still sounds like a certain disadvantage... until one remembers, that any self-respecting ritualist can afford some form of supernatural protection, curse, or spirit, waiting to bring bad luck to anyone attacking him (or horrible death to anyone killing him).

So don't be so quick attacking that vulnerable slow shaman, there might be hell to pay. :)
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 02:53:38 AM »
Agreed. The ritualist is that kind of character that most direct approach players shudder to play, but who would become most devious indeed in the hands of a cunning player / GM.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 11:41:40 PM »
On other game boards, these are called Versus Threads
"Gandolf vs Voodo Hogun" for example. 

Normally this sort of thread is really in the Traverns.   These thread are lots of fun, through usually they are super hero vs superhero (Movie Batman vs Comic Batman,  Batman versus Shang Chi, etc )

If you were looking for mechanics, then you need to find mechanics in a system that does both and work with it.  (GURPS would do, and Gandolf would rock the Practioner's world.  Sure they would evoke the flame resistance of the Metal Lord, but then the Gandolf would hit him with something else... round three usually ends with the Practioner on the ground as Gandolf can fire off a sorcery spell every round and it several rounds (usually) for a vodun practioner to put off a spell. (Check out GURPs Voodoo for details).

Though, just for the sake of argument, the Voodo practioner could just close and engage in Hand to hand, especially if they have evoked the Lao of Metal and Fire.  His bonsues to martial skills would make him formitable.  Now if Gandolf could not spell cast because of hand to hand.... then it is anyone's ball game.   Of course Gandolf would then back up.. jump away, etc... So.. still it is a bit more open than round three and you are down.  '

'

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline RGTraynor

• Midnight wanderer
  • Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
  • Awards Master Questor
    • Celduin campaign (private Yahoo group)
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 04:22:11 PM »
Eh, easy.  Some guy with his bare hands tries to close with Gandalf, Gandalf draws Glamdring.  Things go very badly for guy with bare hands.
It's not that I don't understand what you're saying.  It's that I don't *agree* with what you're saying.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 09:48:20 AM »
chop chop chop. Gandalf lumberjacked a few orcs and a troll if I recall. The voodoo witch doctor should probably leave him alone

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline papy2000

• Nomad
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 07:02:46 AM »
i go with woodoo win the winner with no doubt... i am always a big fan of him.... i want him to win always

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:15:26 AM by valadaar »

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Hall of Heroes 10
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 08:34:06 PM »
Reading this thru again i guess Gandalf *would* kick Houngan butt, the strong argument in the Houngan's favor provided by pappy2000, notwithstanding.

What about, Baba Yaga vs. Harry Potter?  :P

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 08:44:55 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin