llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Moon has a project going.  (Read 1433 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Moon has a project going.
« on: November 16, 2008, 01:49:41 PM »
Over at www.rpg.net I have a thread going. 
[Setting riff - Metamophasis Alpha] The Argon
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=424444

It is a setting of the "Lost Star Colony Ship" subgenre. (That is what Metamorphasis Alpha was way back in 1976.  I launched it as a MA setting riff because it would attract people with interest in that setting. I like it because it has cooperative elements, like we used to do on a regular basis.  so come and visit or come and comment.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Re: Moon has a project going.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 02:57:51 PM »
Not bad at all... and more interesting than other projects I have seen in the recent past. Looks like a nice collab, too!
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 08:14:13 PM »
Moon is at 80 posts for this setting. That includes much information on the ship itself, write ups for 12 AI "Gods", listings of 9 Human Groups that transcend a single pod, and two example pods, and lots of cool info.

I am thinking about 12 more solid posts to clean it all up. That will bring the setting to completeness.  I currently have 46 pages of setting material (yes many of those posts are MoonHunter sized).
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 04:00:33 PM »
So, just in case anyone follows the link you will find a large project with a few hundred posts. 

It is a great project. I recieved kudos from the guy who publishes the game. I received kudos from the guy who designed the game (back in 75). Lots of people seemed to like it.  Lots of people were even scared of it (you wrote all of this?).

In fact, I have 130 pages of material on it.  This is the power of consistant posting every day. Sure it was not a lot every day, but it worked. 10 in 10 worked.

This is the tombstone for the project.

When I started that project, I had come to the realization that I tend to start projects and get them partially done and move on to the next one.  (I tend to vacillate between do it all and do enough). If you have an idea, and its a good one, it deserves to be complete.  I swore I would finish projects. Every project I start. I started this one kind of on a lark.  I mean... Metamophosis Alpha?  What was I thinking?  Who plays that game any more?

(Apparently there are lots of people who want to play it, but can't quite get critical mass. There were also people who still have fond memories of the game.)

But I was going to finish it.

I wrote over there because I needed feedback and at the time, our sci fi fans were not frequenting the site. In the end, there was not enough feedback (something I need for motivation).  I needed the bouncing of ideas. I needed seeds of thought. I got a trickle. I justed plowed on.

Well I came to hate the project.  I mean really hate it.  All the files for this project on my computer are called Albatross01, Albatross02, (pull literary references as you will) and the Pain_of_my_existance_01.  So you can kind of guess I stopped liking the project.

I spent 4 months on this project. It was the project standing between me and finishing the rewrite of my game system.   I realized that this setting  (and some of the other ones I had been doing) were "the dodge" I was using to avoid the stressful project of re-editing my game. By writing them,  I could convince myself that I was being productive, while really not getting anything useful done.

So I did what I hated almost as much, I abandoned it. The net is filled with really great ideas that aren't finished.  Tantilizing tastes of greatness that never were fufilled.  Well, I abandoned it after finishing the first draft (quite dispersed over a hundred some odd posts).  I just could not bring myself to finish something I did not like, I was probably not going to use (though, who knows), and was stopping me from doing what I should be doing.

I came close on sheer stuborness. It is mostly done, in that easy to read format.  The rest is hiding in the text.

So this is the memorial for that post.  Any question? Post them here or on that thread. 

< /End Project >
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©