llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: City Ships  (Read 862 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor
    • Awards
City Ships
« on: May 13, 2009, 08:38:16 PM »
It's just a concept to me at the moment. My thoughts at the moment is that one of them would catch all the fish in an area very quickly and so would be very unpopular with everyone nearby. Any ideas as to how one of these would be plausible and why?

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Questor
    • Awards
Re: City Ships
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 09:11:57 PM »
I immediately think of the floating villages of Waterworld (great movie, don't care what anyone says).  I'm not sure why they would need to catch all of the fish so quickly.  Wouldn't they be better off to catch them slowly, enough for the town to eat off of?  Or are we assuming the floating city is so big as to need huge catches in a short period of time to survive?  If that's the case, you'd have to come up with a convincing reason for anyone to want to be on the ship, let alone how it travels so quickly.  I personally prefer the idea of a small village ship, one that might even have their own aquatic agriculture: growing kelp, herding schools of fish, etc.  That's my two pence, anyway.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Re: City Ships
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 10:27:33 PM »
I can see a city ship being rather like a plague, constantly moving to not deplete the local resources. The mothership could launch smaller ships to forage islands, and in colder waters hunt whales for the amount of meat and fat they have. The deck/s of the ship could serve as limited space for agriculture.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity