llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: CUBE err.. i mean.. grid?  (Read 839 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Lanfear57

• Adept
    • Awards
CUBE err.. i mean.. grid?
« on: April 19, 2009, 11:23:53 AM »
so for those of you who have seen the movie Cube, or hypercube, great. for those fo you who haven't, look at it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube_(film)
I am in the process of building a dungeon crawl for the summer based loosely on it. nearly all the rooms are identical, save contents, and periodically these rooms shuffle.
I have left a few rooms, and the hallways, to remain stationary, and i have put all manner of traps, puzzles, monsters, and treasures in the rooms.
besides the obvious tedium and frustration of quite possibly getting nowhere for several sessions,
what can people think of as OBSTACLES to keeping this game fun and not stagnating into a pool of player frustration and boredom?
There's truth in your lies, Doubt in your faith. What you build you lay to waste.

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
Re: CUBE err.. i mean.. grid?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 02:47:47 PM »
Are you wanting a lethal deathtrap, as in the movies, or are you just looking to steal the idea of a shifting dungeon and not try to annihilate your players?
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Lanfear57

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 08:02:21 PM »
it's not going to be a lethal trap, there are going to be ways of solving it that don't require intense luck or a script.
its going to be a shifting dungeon. i just wanted to see if there were any problem ideas that i might be overlooking
There's truth in your lies, Doubt in your faith. What you build you lay to waste.

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 08:37:22 PM »
Your standard puzzles and possibly the occasional trap should be fine. The scary thing about Cube and Hypercube was that every room was a lethal deathtrap, and you never knew what was going to be in the next room. I'd capitalize on the insane randomness of it all, if I were you. Otherwise, just have at it. If possible, you could try separating the party and have them try to find each other again.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Lanfear57

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 10:28:02 AM »
that would be fun.
im also giving my players a level bonus if they take some kind of derangement / mental instability. that way they can do their roleplay character stuff without me having to do plottings for it.
right now i have a heavy-duty narcissist, someone with split personalities and a shape-shifting familiar, and a narcoleptic pyromaniac. and one who claims he will be "normal"

and the best part is, they will all be going into this dungeon completely willingly. treasure hunt! find the dingus!