llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: What is a Vigiler?  (Read 1507 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Vigiler

• Vigiler
  • Nomad
    • Awards
What is a Vigiler?
« on: April 19, 2009, 09:56:14 AM »
A Vigiler is one who takes part in the Vigil of Gode'shun.

Where then is the vigiler they keep?  In the Old Round, in a city of no name which sits on the edge of the world of Light is where The Dim begins.  There, the twelve Vigilers gather to chant the Mantra of Gode'shun, each in turn, which the first God of Light gave to this world before slain by a dark god most foul.  When the mantras resonate through that holy place, building in strength with each release, such a fury of love and light are released at the final mantra's utterance that no evil may stand against its power.  Should that city ever fall, should the mantras ever fail, should the voices speaking the mantras be silenced...woe be upon the face of the world, and woe be upon all those who live in and love the Light...

Having first heard the name "Gary Gygax" (Gods bless his departed soul...) in late 1979, I've been devoted to wares such as his ever since.  Yes, devotion is a word I'd use to describe what I live, not "craving" or "obsession".  Now, nearly 30 years and several thousands of pages of writing later, I am steered to this website by a ghost of a friend: ShadowSkin.

I have role-playable universes stuck in my head, and quite a few have had a glimpse into them - with many having lived, and several having died, but all having laughed at so many encounters welled up from its depths.   I'm long-winded and wordy, which is my downfall, but here I am - ready to read and share from time to time.

(yeah, and after that I think I'll hunt down all of ShadowSkin's posts and verbally waylay him there until he, the Overlord of the 8th Dimension, cries and runs back under the bed where he came from ;)
Tell the truth boldly and d**n only yourself...or tell a lie others will firmly believe...and bring everyone who hears it to hell with you.

Offline Michael Jotne Slayer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Retreat now? In our moment of triumph?
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Dungeon of the Year 2010 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
Re: What is a Vigiler?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 12:14:34 PM »
Welcome! Any friend of Shadowskin is a friend of mine. May Ialdoboth grow fat on your marrow :up:

Authentic Strolenite™©®

A skeleton walks into a bar and ask the Bartender: “Do you serve skeletons here?”

Times being what they are the wily Bartender replies: “sure, we serve anyone.”

The skeleton hands the man a silver and says: “Fine, I’ll have a pitcher of beer…and a mop”

Offline Shadowskin

• Nomad
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 09:38:44 AM »
  The light of Gode'shun does not shine here Vigiler.  Since the beginning there was only darkness. Vast. Simple. Perfect.  And in that darkness was he without a name that ruled the perfect darkness and all within it.  Then came the ultimate blasphemy.  Light...to casts its filth upon the immaculate void.  Ruining its beautiful state.  The time is come for all to return to that which was.  The absoluteness that will be once again.  Vast. Simple.  Perfect.  So I ask you... what is a Vigiler?  An impostor.  A weakling. A blind man.   The Forces of Darkness are unconquerable, restless, and en numerable.  Ware Vigiler. Lights time grows shorter by the hour.   Welcome to Strolen. 
Shadows devourer light ...Light irradiates shadow

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 11:14:33 AM »
Huh.  I thought it meant someone who's more vigil than the other guy.  Oh well.

Mathom rules this realm, friend.  If you plan to keep vigil with him, you'll probably be waiting a while.  While you vigil it up, cool your heels and enjoy a meal:

Pad Thai will help you keep vigiler than any other vigiles.  You'll be among the vigiliest!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 04:29:31 PM by Dozus »

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Michael Jotne Slayer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Retreat now? In our moment of triumph?
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Dungeon of the Year 2010 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 01:36:43 AM »
I actually love Phad Thai :up:
Authentic Strolenite™©®

A skeleton walks into a bar and ask the Bartender: “Do you serve skeletons here?”

Times being what they are the wily Bartender replies: “sure, we serve anyone.”

The skeleton hands the man a silver and says: “Fine, I’ll have a pitcher of beer…and a mop”

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 07:26:27 AM »
Ditto!  Mmmm....

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 03:05:09 PM »
We all may catch Vigilitas before too long and I am not sure that is a bad thing.

Ya hey der!

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Vigiler

• Vigiler
  • Nomad
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 02:12:05 PM »
Oh ShadowSkin...

Only the foolish hold belief in the fantasy that dark was master first in any fashion.  It is what the low-bred teach their young, for in fact: ignorance begets ignorance.  But I, Vigiler, a scholar and learned man, will banish that demon within you that anchors you to archaic prattle.

In the beginning was the Light; without thought, without reason.  But it is said in the Tomes of Oberinn, "Light became aware, and knowledge was born of fire and pain.  But knowing then itself, and knowing the truth - Light shat its impurities and the excrement was a darkness foul."

Thus it was in the beginning, and let none from the heavens or the bowels of the abyss defy it, lest they die and know the truth as it wholly devours their soul in the lesson.

P.S.  I think I just said your master was a bowel movement and that if you challenge that notion...you're going to hell.
Tell the truth boldly and d**n only yourself...or tell a lie others will firmly believe...and bring everyone who hears it to hell with you.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 02:54:12 AM »
Welcome Vigilier.

Your introduction instantly triggered my imagination, which is no small feat as it has been comatose for a couple of years now.

The ability of painting vivid images in the minds of others is the ultimate mark of a skilled and capable GM.
Obviously you are such a GM.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Vigiler

• Vigiler
  • Nomad
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 01:22:32 PM »
Triggering an imagination is a much more desired goal of mine than triggering suicidal thoughts, or, say, a genital rash...both of which I'm guilty of in a small percentage of North American women (sigh).  But seriously; thanks.  If I could only have the time to dig into the web-site a little bit more and find out where/how to write down some of my life-lessons...I may be able to enlighten some of the populace here on exactly how to get their delvers to take hold of, run with, and choke on a large variety of bait... (ahhhh...I can still hear their tormented screams echoing through my mind) :)