llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: [Tarlith]-Seven Suns  (Read 26545 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Hrofgar

• Demon Lord
  • Adept
    • Awards
Re: [Tarlith]-Seven Suns
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2010, 07:53:00 AM »
"Huzzah, it's dead! But some one must help the ranger there, I have no experience in such skills." Lem then began to wipe the blood off of his axe and into the sand.
Ph'nglui mglwnafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

(\__/)  This is The Bunny.
(='.'=) Add him to your signature like me
(")_(") to further his world domination.

Offline NorthShore

• Amateur Thinker
  • Journeyman
  • Fear the Kardboard Katana
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2010, 08:08:57 AM »
"We should...," Rhen grimaced," ... check the surrounding area... for other beasts lying in wait." Gods, his necked burned! The blood had slowed, but the ranger knew he was still in danger.

"I must return to the caravan; the merchant will have bandages." Hastily wiping his blade down, he sheathed his sword, and retrieved his other blade. The ranger ambled across the dune to the wagons, vowing to have a conversation with his companions about future patrols.
"I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."
-Albert Einstein

Offline Xanathur

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2010, 10:41:59 PM »
Xanathur sighed and the grin left his face. The beast was defeated and he no longer had a chance to slay the beast. "Next time, the very next time we meet any beast I shall not miss so easily. Now Rhen we must get you help, that sincerely doesn't look good. We'll get you bandaged up and then scout 'round the area for more lurking animals." With that, Xanathur took off at a trot to help Rhen back to camp he picked up his wayward bow along the way.
"The desert is an unforgiving wasteland, the seven suns are unrelentless in their fiery rage. This is how I have learned to fight, give no quarter.For when your time comes there will be no mercy." - Xanathur, when asked how he learned to fight.

Offline Ss kerswihpp

• Bhuka Rogue
  • Apprentice
  • Yes, yes, I will help you.
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2010, 11:05:44 PM »
Ss'kerswihpp watched his companions fell the beast from his perch atop the dune. Once the jackal has fallen over, he ran down to Rhen.

"Oh, nonononono. Do not bleed so much. Here," He started to grab hand-fulls of sand and try to apply them to Rhen's neck. "The sand will slow the blood, form a clot, old Bhuka remedy. It is the best I can do."

Offline NorthShore

• Amateur Thinker
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2010, 08:16:53 AM »
The ranger firmly defended his neck from the bhuka's sandy claws with his free hand. Was Ss'k trying to kill him? Sand was perhaps the worst material to introduce to a wound. He'd cut his foot once, running from a desert serpent, and didn't immediately clean the gash. The wound turned green after two days, and a young Rhen had to cut out the dying flesh from his foot. He had no intention of repeating that situation. He turned to the bhuka.

"Ss'k, if you want to help, gather some torches from the caravan. We need to collect or destroy the carcess of that animal before predators or scavengers pick up the scent of our kill."

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:21:25 AM by NorthShore »
-Albert Einstein

Offline Ss kerswihpp

• Bhuka Rogue
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2010, 06:07:42 PM »
"No! Oh, nonononono." He said again, furiously shaking his head. "We cannot burn it! The animals from miles around will smell the delicious burning meat and come to see it, for sure! We must move on, leave the carcass behind us. Less animals to bother us ahead, that way. Yes."

Offline NorthShore

• Amateur Thinker
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2010, 11:43:03 PM »
"Well, then you must convince Amn-Alrhed to continue to a new site. If he decides to remain, a charred carcess is less likely to attract scavengers than a fresh one. Or we could bury it. Besides, meat is meat; it's bad luck to waste in a desert."
-Albert Einstein

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
  • I will name him George!
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2010, 09:40:45 AM »
 As they talked, two of the suns hit the horizon and sank beneath. The small group made their way back to the caravan, which was already hunkered down into the side of the dune. Bandages were quickly gathered and Rhen's wounds tended by skilled hands.
 Amn-Alrhed came up to them, "Good job. You've already started to earn your keep. I think you will probably need some food before tomorrow. We will be making the worst part of the journey, and you will all need to be on your toes, in case of trouble."
 He called over a servant and sent him to fetch food. Then the fat merchant took his leave and returned to his wagon.
"And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, or the temples of his gods."

Offline Xanathur

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2010, 09:42:44 PM »
"Well I suppose we should be glad that this is the only creature we encountered. The merchant seems to be satisfied with our security. I suppose that we might as well catch some shut-eye, we will have to head out early to beat the morning suns. Where is that servant with the food he sent for?" With that Xanathur took off searching for the meal he was promised. At the very least he could find the merchant and see what was going on.
"The desert is an unforgiving wasteland, the seven suns are unrelentless in their fiery rage. This is how I have learned to fight, give no quarter.For when your time comes there will be no mercy." - Xanathur, when asked how he learned to fight.

Offline Hrofgar

• Demon Lord
  • Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2010, 10:23:43 PM »
"Aye, food and rest till tomorrow. If you do not have strength to swing your blade or cannot keep your eyes open long enough to see your foe, how shall you strike it?" With that Lem headed off in search of food, and perhaps some drink before he laid his axe to the ground.

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2010, 01:05:26 PM »
 The food was easy to find and tasted good. The night came on quickly while they were eating and sleep seemed like a wonderful idea.

The next morning dawned earlier than usual, if such things can be done, and the caravan was soon up and on it's way across the desert. A few times Amn-Alrhed could be overheard telling this person or the other that they would be heading to the Kashmeer Oasis.
 The caravan turned Northward and rumbled slowly forward for hours.
"And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, or the temples of his gods."

Offline NorthShore

• Amateur Thinker
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
Rhen sat at the rear of the caravan, content to nurse his wounds.
-Albert Einstein

Offline Xanathur

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: April 03, 2010, 08:33:32 AM »
Xanathur wandered about near the caravan, sometimes up front and othertimes drifting to the back to check on Rhen. Every few miles or so he would climb to the tallest dunes around and try to see if they were nearing their destination. Always he kept his bow and sword at the ready, knowing that being caught unawares in a desert could mean the difference between survival and death.

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: April 03, 2010, 08:47:32 PM »
 The first three suns had set by the time the caravan arrived at it's destination. The Kashmeer Oasis was lush and grown with tall trees and thick underbrush. There were several ponds connected by streams that made a meandering watercourse for some several hundred feet.
 There was another caravan resting for the night near the far end of the oasis. It wasn't as large as Anm-Alrhed's, but there seemed to be a respectable amount of wagons drawn up beside the water.

Amn-Alrhed approached the hired guards after the caravans had been pulled to a stop and while the horses were being watered.
 "Those are the trading wagons of a good friend of mine. He is most likely coming from our destination, and going to our starting point. You may go and mingle with his guards if you wish, they are usually jovial fellows. Be warned, though, that they will try to gamble you out of the clothes on your back if you aren't careful."

Offline Xanathur

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: June 23, 2010, 03:28:33 PM »
"My clothes aren't worth so much that they would even try" Xanathur commented. He then set off at an easy pace towards the other caravanners. Perhaps they have useful insight into troubles that lay ahead or tips to make the journey that much easier. He beckoned for the others to follow. A group will get more out of conversation than a lone man.

Offline Ss kerswihpp

• Bhuka Rogue
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: August 26, 2010, 01:09:21 AM »
Ss'kerswihpp passed Xanathur on his way to greet the other caravan guards, his broad feet, with splayed toes, making sand-travel much easier than it was for most folks. He waved jauntily in their direction, then turned back to see who was following him.

"Hurry! Hurry!" He called to those behind him. "We must mingle, yes, yes, to please Master Amn-Alrhed. We will make him very happy, you see! Yes, yes!"

Offline NorthShore

• Amateur Thinker
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2010, 08:04:37 AM »
Rhen hopped off the wagon and followed Ss'k toward the other guards.
-Albert Einstein

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2010, 03:16:41 PM »
 With Ss'k in the lead, the three of them moved toward the wagons of the other caravan. As they got closer, they could see a handful of men in thick leather with swords belted at theirs sides gathered 'round a fireside. There were five of them, all told, and they looked to be grizzled veterans of the desert with swarthy skin and heads muffled in dark turbans.
 One looked up and noticed the three of them, "Welcome, sojourners. We have fire to share if that's what you seek. Whence come you? From the caravan there?" He gestured at Amn-Alrhed's wagons with one hand.

Offline Xanathur

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2010, 08:17:30 PM »
"Ah, the glory of a blaze on a bone-chilling desert night. I thank you for that. I am a sword for hire, with my luck I met these two who agreed to sign on to protect the caravan you are pointing out. I do not only seek warmth and company, I understand you come from the lands we are traveling to. I would very much like to hear your words of wisdom, so long as they deal with surviving the desert.

Offline Hrofgar

• Demon Lord
  • Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2010, 10:02:52 AM »
Lem leaned against a nearby palm tree, watching the others from a safe distance.

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: August 27, 2010, 08:25:47 PM »
 The same guard that had spoken replied, "Well met. Our journey has been long and hard. But that's the way of the desert, as you well know. We're weeks along the way already, but we'll get back to civilization soon. As to how to survive, I can only caution you against taking shelter in any... buildings that you may come across. We made that mistake at the beginning of our journey, and were very nearly stopped from going any farther.
 Now, who of you would like to relax by our fire. Perhaps the short one by the tree there? We have some wine that we will share and some dice if you fancy to test your skill or you luck. What say you?"

Offline Ss kerswihpp

• Bhuka Rogue
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: August 27, 2010, 10:11:06 PM »
Ss'ker squeaked with delight, a loud, shrill proclamation of glee.

"Yes, yes! Wine will be fun, and the dice and the fire, yes. I am Ss'kerswihpp, ready to drink your wine, yes, yes. And we begin soon, yes? Let us dice and wine!"

He began to hurry to the fire by the tree, looking very excited.

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: August 29, 2010, 03:54:45 PM »
 "Your friend seems eager, how about you three?"

Offline NorthShore

• Amateur Thinker
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2010, 09:17:11 AM »
The ranger tightened his collar high on his neck before settling in amongst the seated men.

"Your hospitality is as warm as the suns," he said, and gestured toward the wine bottle. "How many crossings of this desert have you seen?"
-Albert Einstein

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: August 30, 2010, 02:44:12 PM »
 The wine was pushed toward him, "Most of us have been running one way or the other across this desert for the better part of four years. Makes about twelve crossings each, I guess. Mostly we always take the same route, so it's become famiiliar over the years. What about you?"