llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: [Tarlith]-Seven Suns  (Read 26458 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline NorthShore

• Amateur Thinker
  • Journeyman
  • Fear the Kardboard Katana
    • Awards
Re: [Tarlith]-Seven Suns
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2010, 07:43:15 PM »
"Amn-Alrhed! You look well this morning." Rhen moved to within an arm's reach of the merchant.

"It seems we're still waiting on the half-elf to arrive. Do you wish to wait for him? You said yesterday you've made this journey many times, so you know the dangers of the trek. While an additional pair of hands may come in handy, it means another mouth to feed in a desert of scarce resources. But I know you'll make the right decision, sir."
"I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."
-Albert Einstein

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
  • I will name him George!
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2010, 09:00:39 PM »
 "I have a feeling that our friend may have met some misfortune. If not, I'm sure he'll be able to catch up to us. We should be leaving in just a moment. So, if you'll finish any business that you have, we'll get on our way."
"And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, or the temples of his gods."

Offline The Spiritborn

• True Wraithlord of Twilight
  • Adept
  • Dead men tell no tales.
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2010, 10:39:02 PM »
Xanathur quickly slung his newly strung bow over his shoulder. He gathered up the rest of his equipment and stowed it as well. "Let us be off then before the suns reach their peak. Now the open wastes await promising danger and adventure just the way I love it."
Those who walk the shadows, tread a very narrow path between darkness and light. This path will reveal all.

Offline NorthShore

• Amateur Thinker
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2010, 08:10:52 AM »
Rhen returned to his perch on the merchant's wagon, facing rearward. After checking and cleaning his swords, the ranger strung his longbow and laid it upon his lap. Shifting his hood to shelter his face from the suns, Rhen prepared for the journey ahead.
-Albert Einstein

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2010, 07:53:47 PM »
 The caravan trundled out towards Herolty's main gate. The wagons and pack animals fell into practiced step as they made their slow way out. If the whole journey was made at this pace, it would be a long, slow trip.
 The streets were bustling with activity before the suns rose too high, but the caravan made very little impact on the crowds. Apparently the sight was not a new one to the people.

Hours of travel later, under the seven scorching suns, the caravan was still rambling its way out into the desert. The hard packed streets had given way to shifting sands. Every few hours, they would stop and Amn-Alrhed's steward would take measurements from the suns and then adjust their course suitably.
 Finally, as the suns began to set into the sandy horizon, the caravan pulled to one last stop and people began to scurry around to prepare for the night.

Amn-Alrhed approached the hired guards. Pointing to a high dune off to one side, he said, "You can begin to earn your pay. I don't like the idea that I can't see what might be on the other side. Go and see for me."
"And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, or the temples of his gods."

Offline The Spiritborn

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2010, 08:13:04 PM »
"As you say, sir. Come along fellows."Xanathur pulled out his longbow and adjusted his quiver. Each of his arrows would have to be in their place if they met trouble. He took off at a quickening pace towards the dune. Striding at first but as he neared it he began to sprint. He was eager as the merchant to know that they were not followed or about to be ambushed by something unfriendly.
Those who walk the shadows, tread a very narrow path between darkness and light. This path will reveal all.

Offline NorthShore

• Amateur Thinker
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2010, 09:55:01 PM »
"Fool..." Rhen wanted to take time to survey the surrounding terrain, to search for cover, should, in the off chance, anything was following the caravan this close to the town. The ranger doubted any threats lay on the other side of the hill; raiders would wait for the suns and weariness to drain the fight out of the guards. But creatures of the desert were always a problem, so securing the hill, and the all-around view it provided, seemed prudent.

Rhen glanced to either side of the dune, searching for rocks or crevices to provide cover. He would head toward whichever side of the dune would conceal him the most.

"Let's make sure he doesn't kill himself. I suggest letting him draw the attention of anything that awaits on the other side." He started off, readying his bow, and staying a healthy distance to the side of the bumbling fighter.

Skill Check: Hide [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 9 + 6, total 15[/blockquote]
Skill Check: Spot [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 18 + 6, total 24[/blockquote]

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 10:02:58 PM by NorthShore »
-Albert Einstein

Offline Hrofgar

• Demon Lord
  • Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2010, 08:24:45 AM »
Axe in hand, Lem kept pace with Xanathur despite his small size. Hopefully there was something there, it had been weeks since he was able to fight.
Ph'nglui mglwnafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

(\__/)  This is The Bunny.
(='.'=) Add him to your signature like me
(")_(") to further his world domination.

Offline Ss kerswihpp

• Bhuka Rogue
  • Apprentice
  • Yes, yes, I will help you.
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2010, 08:44:43 AM »
Ss'kerswihpp moved steadily, despite the loose sand, thanks to his naturally wide feet. He moved up the left side of the dune, bow in one hand and an arrow in the other. His eyes were on constant lookout, and he was instinctively ready to hide as soon as a threat was apparent.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 07:20:48 PM by Ss kerswihpp »

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2010, 10:40:15 AM »
 Rhen was the first to see it. Squatted on its haunches on the other side of the dune was a hulking canine beast, as large as a pony. It was covered in shaggy tan fur, a perfect camouflage against the sand, and sported large, sharp teeth. It's ears were upright and its body completely still, listening to the sounds of horses and camels on the other side of the dune.
 Rhen easily recognized it as one of the jackals, scavengers of the waste, but this one was bigger than any he had seen before.
 Despite his attempts to stay hidden, the great beast saw Rhen and turned towards him, drawing its lips back in a snarl.

Lem rounded the dune close on Xanathur's heels. They both spotted the jackal as it turned towards Rhen where he stood opposite them.

Ss'kerswihpp crested the dune at almost the same moment. The jackal was surrounded, but either did not notice, or did not care.

The initiative order is:
Rhen
The Jackal
Ss'kerswihpp
Xanathur
Lem

Offline NorthShore

• Amateur Thinker
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2010, 11:19:01 AM »
Staring into the eyes of the jackal, Rhen knew he was spotted. At first, the ranger wasn't worried upon recognizing the beast. As scavengers, jackals usually hunted in packs, attacking prey smaller than themselves or feeding on the carcesses of other kills. They scared easy when confronted with force or numbers, but Rhen's fears grew when the creature growled, unafraid. For what would a creature of this size fear? And jackals rarely hunted alone, so this beast would have no problem cowling several others into it's pack.

Rhen quickly glanced around, searching for other jackals that may be hidden in the sand. But even if he found any, this monster had to be the first to go down. Any other smaller animals would flee if their alpha was killed, or at least that's what Rhen hoped.

Nocking and drawing his bow, the ranger stood in place, and loosed the shaft, aiming for the creature's lower neck. He then crouched, his hand diving into the quiver to draw another arrow. His eyes darted around, his legs coiled and ready to spring to avert danger.

Ranged attack: Longbow [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+3 : 9 + 3, total 12[/blockquote]
Skill Check: Spot [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 19 + 6, total 25[/blockquote]
-Albert Einstein

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2010, 09:25:33 PM »
 Rhen's quick glance did not reveal any more lurking canines. His arrow fared similarly, for, despite its bulk, the jackal dodged nimbly out of the path or the projectile.
 Moving swiftly, the great jackal ran towards Rhen, teeth snapping at the ranger's throat.
 Thankfully, none of the teeth found their marks, but the jackal tensed to spring again.

Offline Ss kerswihpp

• Bhuka Rogue
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2010, 12:22:38 AM »
Ss'kerswihpp was stunned by the size of the jackal for a spit second, then he was firing an arrow at it. He dropped to one knee, drew an arrow, and aimed for the beast's chest.

((OOC: It's easier and more fun for me if you can make my rolls, Drackler. If you need my sheet again, let me know. ))

Shortbow = +4 To hit (+5 if within 30ft) for 1d6+0 Damage))
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 07:20:32 PM by Ss kerswihpp »

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2010, 08:55:18 PM »
 The jackal was completely blind-sided by Ss'kerswihpp's arrow. The arrow hit the canine in the side and jut out from the wound at an odd angle. The beast let out a yelp of pain.

((OOC: I'll go ahead and make everyone's rolls for them, if that's alright. I have all your character sheets. Also, the dune is about twenty feet high, so your bonus does apply.))

Offline The Spiritborn

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2010, 08:42:22 PM »
Xanathur swiftly notched an arrow. He drew the string back to his cheek and took aim at the beast. A shot straight to the base of its neck from behind should do some damage. He breathed in and released the arrow, knowing that it would fly true.

Offline Hrofgar

• Demon Lord
  • Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2010, 10:50:12 AM »
Lem did not have have a bow, which was just as well because he would prefer to hit things with it than use it effectively. Shifting the weight of his mighty axe Lem charged directly at it, hacking with all his force once it was in range.

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2010, 07:37:44 PM »
 Xanathur's arrow flew through the air and lodged itself in the jackal's shoulder. But the wound was not deep and the beast seemed more angry than hurt.
 Lem's charge was less effective. His swing missed by a good foot and the jackal turned towards him, lips pulled into a snarl.

New round, same order as before. Lem is standing just in front of the jackal, Xanathur and Rhen are opposite each other with the jackal in between, and Ss'ker is on top of the dune.

Offline NorthShore

• Amateur Thinker
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2010, 09:48:20 AM »
With the beast distracted, Rhen shouldered his bow and drew his short swords. The ranger's blades flashed across his body, aimed for the jackal's midsection.
-Albert Einstein

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2010, 02:11:44 PM »
 Rhen's first blow struck home, but his second went far to the side.  The blade left a long crimson streak on the jackal's side, and blood trickled out to splash on the sand.
 Th jackal snarled at Rhen and lunged for his throat. Despite the ranger's efforts, the beast found its mark, teeth sinking into the ranger's throat like daggers.
 Rhen managed to push the jackal off, but blood stained its teeth and pain seared through his neck.

Nasty bite, you're down to only a single hit point, Rhen.

Offline Ss kerswihpp

• Bhuka Rogue
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2010, 03:09:26 PM »
Ss'kerswihpp saw Rhen nearly get his throat torn out and was suddenly very glad to not be on the receiving end on of the jackal's attacks. He drew another arrow and aimed for the jackal's body. Letting the arrow fly, he assured himself he would not be this beast's meal, even if his companions were.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 06:58:30 PM by Ss kerswihpp »

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2010, 11:03:49 AM »
 Ss'kerswihpp's arrow caught the jackal by surprise. The arrow drove straight into the jackal's belly. It gave out a yelp of pain and pulled back. It moved warily, as if trying to get away from the chance of death.

Offline The Spiritborn

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2010, 06:38:18 PM »
"Rhen, today will not be your last!" Xanathur roared. He tossed his bow onto the ground while simultaneously drawing his sword. He charged towards the beast with his glinting blade up high, hoping to catch the creatures attention.

Offline Hrofgar

• Demon Lord
  • Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2010, 10:47:17 AM »
Lem cursed under his breath at his miss and swung again at the enormous creature.

Offline NorthShore

• Amateur Thinker
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2010, 10:16:24 AM »
Dropping his off-hand sword, Rhen clamped the hand on his neck, trying to stem the flow of his life blood. The ranger held his gem-studded blade before him, backing away from the dangerous beast and ready to counter an attack.

20 ft step backward, full defense.
-Albert Einstein

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2010, 12:31:09 PM »
 The jackal shied away from Xanathur's charge, but not enough to avoid Lem's blow. The halfling's war axe cleft into the beast's shoulder, almost severing its foreleg. The jackal whimpered once and fell in a heap on the ground, bleeding freely.

Rhen's blood seemed to grow sluggish as he kept pressure on his wound, but his head was still dull and fuzzy through the pain. Everything seemed quiet in the absence of threat.