llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: How do I turn a munchkin object into a good submission?  (Read 884 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Master Questor
    • Awards
How do I turn a munchkin object into a good submission?
« on: June 04, 2009, 08:44:46 PM »
At the moment my only new thing I have that is past the Idea Seeds level is a sceptre with, as it stands, frankly munchkin-like powers, capable of turning people into balls of flame or piles of bones. How do I turn this stupid overpowered thing that belongs on a munchkin utility belt into something that Strolenites would like and award high votes to?

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Re: How do I turn a munchkin object into a good submission?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 10:38:37 PM »
1. Limit it's powers quite specifically (can only obliterate lizardfolk shamans, elf berzerkers, blue-eyed Virgos)

2. Give it a very strong drawback (Suffer half damage inflicted)

3. Reduce the power of the Sceptre so that instead of instant/automatic effects it deals a certain amount of damage instead. If you fail some sort of check, like stamina or whatever and take such and such amount of damage, you are indeed skeletonized.

4. Give it a small number of charges. You can auto-kill anyone with it, but you've only got two shots. Do you feel lucky?

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 11:30:26 PM »
Limit it to only when you're doing the whim of the gm, otherwise it merely singes their hair...
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 02:33:19 AM »
*AG comes out of the closet*

"I love to give my villains munchkin-like powers!"

:p
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 05:34:30 AM »
See the Ruby Sceptre for a nice example.

Born from the Gemstone Magic, yours truly had a munchkinous idea of a perfect weapon, a ruby-beset scepter, that would shoot powerful lasers, obliterating everything. Luckily, Iain saved the day by introducing serious downsides:
 - this thing takes a lot of training to use properly
 - using it too much may cause it to blow up, obliterating the user
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.