llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: various issues with organisation of ideas  (Read 802 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 Golden Creator
    • Awards
various issues with organisation of ideas
« on: March 07, 2009, 06:55:34 PM »
I currently have 2 In Work subs: [Icesilk] and [Ice Maidens] that are linked. Basically, the Ice Maidens are the race that produces the Icesilk which is a material. I got the idea to write about how the Ice Maidens are discovered (they were a secluded race at one point) and how trade started b/w them and the fantasy equivalent of ancient Chinese ppl in the Icesilk sub (the current idea for this discovery story is that the Chinese stumbled upon when on a discovery mission of the expansion of trade routes with the West so this is told from the viewpoint of the Chinese) as part of the history of the item. But now I'm not sure whether it fits there since it can as easily go into the history section of the Ice Maidens. But due to my vision of telling the disovery from the viewpoint as the Chinese, it seems that is a bit inappropriate as well. So then I had the idea of putting this discovery story in a stub. What do other think about this? Which of the 3 alternatives sound like the most appropriate way to organise ideas so that the 2 subs will flow logically?

In addition, I also have a technical question concerning the use of Codices. Can we have A Codex nested within A Codex? What I had in mind is this: I have a Codex for an entire World. And then within it, I have several Codices, each detailing important geographical locations. Is this feasible or the Codices within a Codex will end up being a mess of interlinking subs rather than hierachical subs?

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 10:06:28 PM by Moonlake »

Human (Level 2)
Crysilis Embroider -  Apprentice Weaver
Moonlake Ku - Apprentice Strolenati
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 4| CHA: 2 | INT: 3
"Crazy woman devoted to 2 Worlds, 2 Guilds and randomness"
Visiting beloved Dragon Empire

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
Re: various issues with organisation of ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 03:34:03 PM »
I'd go with putting Icesilk as part of the Ice Maidens sub.  Perhaps you could make Ice Maidens a scroll, and put Icesilk in as a scroll listing?  Just a thought.

I tried nesting codices with my Sectarian Wars subs.  I'm no expert at coding (Strolen? Anyone? Bueller?), but when you do that it tends to put all the the nested subs as part of the other codices.  For example, my "The Sectarian Wars - A History" codex is supposed to list the different organization subs/codices attached to it, which it does.  But look at one of those subs by itself, and it links back to the other subs that I have listed under the History sub/codex.  If that makes any sense.  Either the code isn't made for nesting codices, or I used it poorly (really, the latter is equally if not more likely than the former).

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: various issues with organisation of ideas
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 06:22:59 PM »
On the Icesilk+Ice Maiden subs, I've already worked out something. My solution is to put the Icesilk as a Stub since I've decided that the discovery story should really be a stand alone. I also have the Icesilk stub currently being a part of a Codex titled Silks in fantasy settings (I just had a spell of creativity with types of silks one day and the Codex was the result of it).

Actually, I haven't considered the Scroll method before and probably with the Icesilk being a Stub, I don't need to have a Scroll but thanks for the advice. 

On the nested Codices, I know exactly what you mean. I think the code isn't made for nesting codices because I went back to the Citadel explained and in explaining a Codex, it talks abt subs that are linked and crosslinked as in "parallel/horizontal subs", say different schools of thought on a topic or sth like that. For the purpose you and I have in mind, we are dealing with "vertical subs", so probably that's why it doesn't work out.

Overall, thanks for the reply.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:08:44 PM by Moonlake »

Human (Level 2)
Crysilis Embroider -  Apprentice Weaver
Moonlake Ku - Apprentice Strolenati
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 4| CHA: 2 | INT: 3
"Crazy woman devoted to 2 Worlds, 2 Guilds and randomness"
Visiting beloved Dragon Empire