llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Nights in Nehwon  (Read 17532 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Nights in Nehwon
« on: January 23, 2009, 01:07:08 PM »
"Sundered from us by gulfs of time and stranger dimensions dreams the ancient world of Nehwon with its towers and skulls and jewels, its swords and sorceries. Nehwon's known realms crowd about the Inner Sea: northward the green-forested fierce Land of the Eight Cities, eastward the steppe-dwelling Mingol horsemen and the desert where caravans creep from the rich Eastern Lands and the River Tilth. But southward, linked to the desert only by the Sinking Land and further warded by the Great Dike and the Mountains of Hunger, are the rich grain fields and walled cities of Lankhmar, eldest and chiefest of Nehwon's lands. Dominating the Land of Lankhmar and crouching at the silty mouth of the River Hlal in a secure corner between the grain fields, the Great Salt Marsh, and the Inner Sea is the massive-walled and mazy-alleyed metropolis of Lankhmar, thick with thieves and shaven priests, lean-framed magicians and fat-bellied merchants - Lankhmar the Imperishable, the City of the Black Toga." —From "Induction" by Fritz Lieber

Places of Note:

Lankhmar Lankhmar is richly described as a populous, labyrinthine city rife with corruption; it is decadent and squalid in roughly equal parts and said to be so shrouded by smog that the stars are rarely sighted (the city's alternate name is "The City of Seven Score Thousand Smokes".) Located next to the Inner Sea, Lankhmar is visited by ships from across Nehwon and is the starting point for Fafhrd and the Mouser's many sea voyages.

The city is ostensibly ruled by an Overlord and a nobility. The Thieves' Guild is influential, too, and controls Lankhmar's abundant criminal element, with the notable exceptions of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.

Streets in Lankhmar are often evocatively named (the Thieves' Guild is located on Cheap Street near Death's Alley and Murder Alley.) Commonly referenced locations are the Silver Eel Tavern, behind which is Bone Alley, and the Golden Lamprey. The main meeting place is the Plaza of Dark Delights, which is the setting of the popular story The Bazaar of the Bizarre. The religious center of Lankhmar is the Street of the Gods, along which numerous (and often bizarre) cults seek to arrange themselves in order of popularity. The true gods of Lankhmar, however, are feared rather than worshipped; these "Black Bones" (mummified ancestors of the Lankhmarese) occasionally leave their temple to fight threats to the city - or threats to their own position as preeminent religion within the city.

Beneath Lankhmar is an underground city inhabited by sentient rats. At one point the Mouser, suitably reduced in size, infiltrates this world.

Leiber's Lankhmar bears considerable similarity to 16th Century Seville as depicted in Cervantes' classical picaresque tale Rinconete y Cortadillo: a bustling, cosmopolitan maritime city, into whose port galleons sail laden with gold from which only a few benefit, with a thoroughly corrupt civil government and a powerful and well-organised Thieves' Guild - all seen through the eyes of two young adventurers who formed a partnership to guard each other's back in this dangerous milieu. However, Cervantes' protagonists, less daring than Leiber's, do not confront the Thieves' Guild but enter its ranks. -Wikipedia

Rat-infested Ilthmar. Ilthmar is a rival city to Lankhmar, located across the Great Salt Marsh and then the Sinking Land from Lankhmar, on the edge of the Deserts. Its people are known as Ilthmarts, and are known for their gambling, their heartlessness, and their worship of rat and shark gods. The harbor of Ilthmar is kept full of sharks for getting rid of criminals and undesirables. -Wikipedia

Horborixen, "citadel of the King of Kings and city second only to Lankhmar in size, antiquity, and baroque splendor"; the decadent, shrunken, and subtle Empire of Eevamarensee with its hairless inhabitants; the Great Steppes, home of the squat, stolid, black-haired Mingols; the city of Ool Hrusp; the Inner Sea; the Outer Sea; the Sea of the East, joined to the Inner Sea by the narrow Sinking Lands; the Frozen Sea; the secret, shadowy realm of Quarmall; the beggar-city of Tovilyis; the Mountains of the Elder Ones; the Trollstep Mountains or the Mountains of the Giants, peaks include the Ripsaw, the Tusk, White Fang, the great Stardock, Obelisk Polaris, Gran Hanack, and the Hint; the Forbidden City of the Black Idols; long sunken Simorgya; the Bones of the Old Ones, a mountain range; the tropical land of Klesh; the Shadowland; the Poisoned Desert; Kvarch Nar; the village of Earth's End; the Parched Mountains; the City of Ghouls, a bone-proud, invisible-fleshed people; Illik-Ving, "the eighth and smallest metropolis of the Land of the Eight Cities." Also there is Rime Isle, which is last told the home of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.
-Wikipedia

Best of all, yet vague as hell  [http://www.scrollsoflankhmar.com/index.php]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 03:55:50 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: Nights in Nehwon, The Eye of Vood
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 03:32:34 PM »
Fym the Rib had spilt enough of his own blood into the water, he reasoned, as he watched the red liquid pour down his arm and into the brown-green miasma of the canal, enough for the Shark-Lord to grant him favor this night.

Glancing over at his companions, Fym felt both fear and anxiety. As soon as they drank the magical potions, they could begin their foray into Lankhmar's underworld, and find their prize or die trying, rats be d**ned. They were in some dead-end alley, in back of the Golden Lamprey. Fingering the slimed old metal of the sluice-gate, sewage pouring freely through its contours, Fym began yanking the rusted iron bars.

The Eye of Vood, their quarry, the artefact which Sheelba of the Eyeless Face had geased them to recover, lay somewhere below them, deep beneath the bowels of the City of Seven Score Thousand Smokes. Below the corrugated pipes and sewers, below even the Rat-Lord’s warrens, and below the tombs of the ancient, and often undead, master-thieves of Lankhmar.

This would not be easy. But all knew Sheelba’s geases were unbreakable. There was no choice for them but to descend into Lankhmar’s underworld...

Character Capsule

Fym the Rib is a thief, hailing originally from Ilthmar, but calling the alleys of Lankhmar home these last few years. Like you, he ran afoul of that notorious sorceress, Sheelba-of-the-Eyeless-Face, and is now geased against his will to find the fabled Eye of Vood, for reasons untold. He pays homage to the Shark-God of the Ilthmart cult, though his faith is negligible at best, a simple result of growing up in foul, cult-infested Ilthmar.

His weapon is a simple steel dirk, and but his crossbow bolts are fitted with poisoned caps. The venom can paralyze a man in seconds, but only temporarily.

Fym the Rib is quicksilver-fast and agile as a monkey of the Eastern Lands, but not a great fighter by any stretch. He is glad that the other members of this suicidal band include a warrior and wizard, beside another thief.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 04:03:02 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor
    • Awards
Re: Nights in Nehwon
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 06:55:48 PM »
Geswald watched the thief - first after he ritually injured himself in some superstitious gesture to some false god.  Then, after they had imbibed the potions, as he tugged at the iron bars of the gate. 

Let him tug, thought Geswald.  He was under no illusions that his scholars' frame could fare  better, he would leave this task to others.  Instead he tried to call to mind his limited inventory of magics.  Unconsciously, one his his hands strayed to his token-bag full of 'magic' odds and ends.  Geswald, the hippocrate, was as superstitious as Fym.  For once, he would be sober on a mission, his supplies of lthmarian wine exhausted as much as his coin.

Geswald is a magician, skilled when sober, dangerous when not.  Having a small assortment of mostly subtle magics, he has a few more spectacular tricks, but these are nearly as unreliable as he is.  Somewhat frail, Geswald has managed to survive thus far mostly at the whim of luck. 

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: Nights in Nehwon-The Eye of Vood
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 12:01:27 PM »
Fym gave up trying to force the sluice gate, and looked upon his companions with a pained expression. Taking out a tiny, bottle-green vial, he began dropping drops of acid along the edges of the corroded bars. A sickly greenish smoke rose up from the rusted metal, and soon even weak-armed Fym could tear off the sluice-gate once and for all.

A musty smell emerged from the opening. Trickles of sewage could be heard echoing somewhere below, the high-pitched shrieks of rats, and other unidentifiable noises.

"This opening, according to Sevyas Jib, leads into the area of the sewers which connects to the lower tunnels. The password for the thieve's guild patrols, if Sevyas can be believed, is "Vermillion". We will have to bypass the rats, bribe some thieves, and eventually we should be able to enter the lower catacombs."

Whispering a prayer to the implacable Shark-God, Fym the Rib slipped into the sewage gate,and proceeded to scout the immmediate tunnel. "Lots of sounds, but i see nothing", he mumbled and looked at his companions, waiting for them to join him.

Hmm, he thought, Geswald looked particularly nauseous. The wizard's red-veined nose was turning scarlet. Geswald was fond of drink. He wondered what the addled mage had done to cross Sheelba, and wondered for the tenth time that day what magics this man was capable of performing. They would need a wizard before all was said and done. Sheelba had spoken of wards and sigils, painted on the walls of the lower levels, magical protections which needed breaking.

"Tell us, wizard", he said to Geswald, as the magician clambored past him into the tunnels, lifting his robes to avoid getting wet, and showing off his scrawny legs. "What is the Eye of Vood? Do ye know? The Eyeless Face spoke longer to you than to me."

As he waited for an answer, Fym examined himself. According to Geswald's earlier explanation, the potions they all had just drank, would turn them to half their original size in a matter of hours. This would help them traverse the rat-tunnels, which were not built for tall men to travel.

There were other groups after the Eye of Vood. The Slayer's Brotherhood was rumoured to have sent a force into the tunnels recently as well, led by a were-rat thief named "Sog". No one knew what the Eye of Vood was, but it seemed every major player in Lankhmar wanted it. And Sheelba of the Eyeless Face was not one to be disappointed.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 12:26:29 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Pieh

• A Lordliest Scent
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • I accidentally the entire Citadel!
  • Awards Master Questor 2011 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Submissions Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 06:05:44 PM »
Hlol relished the musty smell of the stinking sewers; taking a deep breath as the sluice gate came loose, inhaling those fumes. He looked refreshed as everyone else looked on in revolt. Kissing the small foot, possibly that of a child, that he wore around his neck, he ventured forward to peer into the darkness. He loomed near the hole staring into the black entrance, taking in the noises, smells, and tastes of adventure, sewage, and rats. Enjoy it now, he thought, Death awaits. He began to hum softly, a beautiful dirge he has memorized from his little black book, hopefully it would calm everyone's nerves as much as it did his...

Hlol of Ool Hrusp
A tall and lanky fellow of pale skin and dark robes, Hlol is a Necromancer with a bit more than basic mastery over the forces of life and death and a golden voice. Hlol is always singing, or when that's not appropriate, humming, songs from his prayer book. Others find it eerily comforting. He also wears a Hand of Gakn around his neck, a good luck token made from the foot of a stillborn child, and carries a large bag of religious supplies.
Cultist Rule #1 - Never summon anything bigger than your head.

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Master Questor Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 06:14:01 PM »
Raelef had felt the geas settle around his shoulders like a chain of lead. After a decade in the service to the High Priestess of the Queen of Pain, he had felt similar, and worse, done to others a hundred times, but only recently had he begun to be able to recognize it. The Lady had been pleased with her guardian that night - but even that torture, horrible as it was, had not been enough to send him towards Death's embrace.

And so, the scarred man, huge of frame and broad of shoulder, found himself watching on with distaste as the little scoundrel burned his way through the bars of iron, a hand resting on the leather wrapped hilt at his side as he kept one eye on the path behind. 

A soldier doomed to service of a darker power, Raelef's battered body belies a tremendous endurance. When joined to his Mistress's will, his own is unquenchable, but apart from her, he is often filled with doubt.

Of late, as well, the darker powers of pain and suffering have begun to speak to him directly, and while he finds this concerning, there is little he can do to stop it, and he has begun to embrace them.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 07:53:52 PM »
Geswald first thought to bluff, but thought better of it. "No, She has not seen fit to enlighten me upon it.  Just get it. Would have been nice if she had at least described it.  I'm assuming an enchanted gemstone of some type, but thats pulled straight from my ass."

Geswald felt for the dagger under his robes - spells were his forte, but there were times when the situation demanded more direct action.  He had managed through great willpower to accumulate the funds to get the blade suitably enchanted.  Hopefully he would not need it, but if he did, he hoped it was best he did not drink the money.

"So, which way?"

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 08:19:18 PM »
"East, along Pisser's Row (even the sewer-ways had street names in Lankhmar) i think, until we get to the Pit. If we don't have enough coin or "charm" to pass the rat-thieves and their patrols, there will be blood. I am personally hoping that can be avoided."

"Once we get down the chutes to the Rat Warrens, if we are still alive, there is a place there, Refuse-Town. There are agents of Sheelba in that s**te-heap, hiding amidst the rats. She told me of finding a man named Wissif there or a ghoul named Hoarse. They have iron keys which unlock the lower gates. From there, we have to make it past the tombs of the undead thief-lords, and then--then i don't know. The Eye of Vood is somewhere down there."

Fym the Rib paused. "There, now you know everything that I know. All else is a mystery to me."

"So what say you, Mingol? And you, man of Ool Hrusp?" Fym did not address Raelef. He feared men from the House of Pain.

Fym proceeded down the tunnel slowly, hoping the rest would follow, and that someone would speak, so as to drown out Hlol's eerie humming.

In some hours, Sheelba said she was not sure how long, they would all shrink to half their size. Better to navigate the Rat Warrens, Fym thought, but probably didn't improve their chances of intimidating the dwellers of the Undercity.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 08:26:06 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 09:17:29 PM »
"No choice have we in the matter. I canna' say I like the sound of it, but we must go on. This thrice-bloited geas grates against the back of my mind even now. I think we should all go quite insane if we don't continue onward. Curse that witch and her enchantments!" The speaker, one Ku'shuus, dropped into the sewers after his companions, eyes searching for anything hostile the little thief might have missed.

Formerly a bounty-hunter for the Slayer's Brotherhood, he eventually tired of the hunt and moved to less-risky ventures. A simple job was all it took to place this Mingol sellsword in the wrong place at the wrong time. A simple job, earning the ire of the Eyeless-Face, and thus was he stuck with a spell of mental domination forcing him to hunt for something he didn't have the faintest inkling of caring about.

His appearance is stereotypical enough to be the definition of Mingol looks: raven hair, yellowish skin, strongly built. Even his weapon is stereotypical, though the curved talons engraved on either side of the blade certainly isn't. As always, however, appearances can be deceiving, and skill at combat certainly doesn't impede intelligence.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 09:35:21 PM »
My pawns move as planned, many-eyed one. What of yours?”  Said Sheelba of the Eyeless-Face to Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, as she sat there, enveloped in her cloak and cowl.
“Mine as well, she-devil. Mine as well. They will surely claim the prize, before your band of weaklings--“
“You babble like a child, Ningauble. You are no doubt worried.”
“We shall see, She-snake. We shall see whose champions will pass the first test, and continue on. Our wager is in place, and our doves have flown forth and our rats have scattered. We shall wait to see what happens. Come have some tea.”
With these words, Ningauble exhaled the pipe-smoke from his lung, sending greenish wisps streaming out of his seven, dancing eyes. It appeared as if seven fluttering butterflies were escaping the confines of Ningauble's ebon shroud
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 09:46:55 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Master Questor Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 10:54:55 PM »
No one ever wanted to talk to the children of the House of Pain. That's why one of Raelef's duties had always been to ... invite his mistress's guests over for their little sessions. This would just have to be a similar task.

"I expect that there will be blood regardless tonight. I would prefer it to be anothers, as mine belongs to the Mistress. But let us be on the way." And so, cinching his mail tighter, he descended into the darkness of the sewers, pausing the brief moment to let his eyes adjust the gloom, before pressing onwards. 

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 12:09:56 AM »
The water ripples and a scaly head appeared, a pair of large lamp like eyes staring out over a pair of narrow lips, the visitor burbled in the water, alerting the others to his presence. No need in getting the mammals all worked up and ready to kill. At least not yet. The stalker pulled his bulk up out of the rank water, five foot tall and almost as wide, his body was a mass of corded muscle, barbed fins, and a lugubrious fish head. A denizen of Simorgya, the sunken city...

"Hail and well Meat." He said. A wickedly barbed trident sat comfortably in his vaguely disturbing hand.

A scout and treasure seeker from Simorgya, the Simorgyan is a brute by their standards. (for lack of better reference, i'm going with a kuo-Toa for base material)

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 01:01:32 AM »
...Well Meat

Fym pondered the greeting

"Well, that just saved me a plunge I imagine." he muttered, realizing that the tunnels ahead could be flooded with raw sewage, and that traveling in slime up to their eyeballs, or worse, having to swim through certain areas, was going to be a problem in their foreseable future.

The fish-men (or whatever they were) of Simorgya swimming the sewers beneath the Street of Cheats? This was new, Fym thought. He wondered if the Rats knew. Simorgyans were bad news.

"Stand aside, Fish-Man. We have business in the Undercity." Fym managed to answer, hoping Hlol, the Mingol, Raefel, or even Geswald would say something more intimidating. He did not want to end up on the business end of that trident, so early in this suicidal quest.

Simorgya is a sunken kingdom in the Outer Sea. A long time ago when it was an island above the surface it was raided upon by the Snow Clans. According the legends ...the men of far Simorgya were mighty magicians, claiming power over wind and waves and the creatures below. Yet the sea gulped them down for all that. It's fish-like residents still have enmity towards the pinker races, yet are known to come to Lankhmar to trade, and to sell the secrets of their sea-shell golems to the grimy magicians of the City of the Black Toga.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 01:14:03 AM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 09:03:26 AM »
"Stand aside the mammal says," the Simorgyan chuckled wetly, "It forgets that it isn't the only one looking for the Eye. I am sent to assist in this search. Meat."

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 10:54:57 AM »
"Since when do the rats conduct truck with the fish?" he whispered, but said more audibly, "If Sheelba sees fit to send fish to help us, who am I to argue?"

"I am Fym, the Rib men call me. This is Geswald, a mage, Ku'Shuus, the scalping Mingol. This is Hlol of Ool Hrusp, he speaks with the dead, and this is Raelef from the House of Pain.

Fym hoped the band roster sounded impressive to the gilled-one. The fish-men of Simorgya were treacherous and often deadly in their dealings, but they respected strength...and magic.

"We head to the Undercity's gate", he intoned to the Simorgyan. "We know the password...do you know what the Eye of Vood is?" he added, hoping against hope the fish-man knew more than they did.

Squeeking rats scurried everywhere. No one entering the tunnels below Lankhmar went unnoticed.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 10:59:45 AM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 06:45:54 PM »
Geswald knew well the value of showmanship, and intimidation.  Smiling at the fishman, he suddenly reached out and snatched one of the greasy rodents that had strayed too close.

He brought it up quickly before him and with a word of magic, the struggling creature was disemboweled.  The offal fell into the water beneath and Geswald casually tossed the carcass to the fish man.

"You asked for meat, right?", Geswald said with a wicked smile.

Geswald hoped the fish never saw that spell before - it was a simple hearth-witch spell which made food preparation easier - but it did have other uses.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 06:53:15 PM by valadaar »

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Pieh

• A Lordliest Scent
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • I accidentally the entire Citadel!
  • Awards Master Questor 2011 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Submissions Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 07:04:57 PM »
Hlol stopped humming and frowned at the dead rat, then at Geswald.

"Life is precious, even that of a simple rat, I do wish you would be more careful with what you destroy in the future."

He looked to Fym, "Do you require medical attention?" He asked laying a finger upon the open wound on his arm, then slowly drew away the bloody finger and placed it in his mouth. He savored the flavor for a moment.

"It does not taste serious, but I can sew you up if you would like."

"Get away, you grave-crawler!" Fym shuddered, and recoiled his arm...

Hlol frowned, "You would be wise to accept my help, and not irritate me. You may need me in the future and I need my companions... Healthy. I don't want that to get infected in the sewage." His eyes narrowed on the creeped-out Fym. "Unwise..." He muttered.

He began to hum again, staring eerily at the gilled-one.

Cultist Rule #1 - Never summon anything bigger than your head.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 07:12:41 PM »
Geswald snorted, " heh, thats rich from you...", but said no more, waiting to see how the fishman enjoyed his 'gift'.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 07:29:32 PM »
For the moment, the man from the House of pain remained silent, stoic. His presence alone, combined with the the nine-pointed star of agony torn and salted into his forehead was intimidation enough, in the majority of the cases, and friendliness would be a waste here. Almost unbidden, too, the thought came to his mind that he had never had the opportunity to introduce a Simorgyan to the Mistress's attentions. Perhaps once this was done, assuming they both still lived. 

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 08:15:27 PM »
"Aye, yes--of course. I uh--It was just a fright, i get jumpy in the sewers. Its not you--its me" Fym fumbled weakly, he did not want to arouse a necromancer from foul Ool Hrusp, no sir.

He was examining and rubbing his arm, hoping Hlol had not left any marks upon it, when he noticed Geswald's "magic". The Rib paled. The magician had killed and eviscerated a rat. Not the best way to endear themselves to the coming darkness of the Rat Warrens. 

he found himself hoping that no one would miss that rat too much. Or notice its death for a while at least.

On the bright-side, it seemed Geswald was quite capable of magic when not inebriated, he thought. Good. He had not been sure until now.

Like the others, he stared at the Simorgyan and waited for the creature's responce to Geswald's bold riposte.

The Rats of Lankhmar were unlike rats of other worlds. They were a sentient, clever race, with prehensile fingers, and sinister motivations. Mundane rats to be sure, were likewise present, but who can ever know which kind of rat one was killing? The Rat-Lord certanly did not take kindly to the slaughter of his vermin-people. And the thieves of the Guild were allies of the Rats.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 08:30:44 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Lanfear57

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 08:54:20 PM »
Elyea winced as her world suddenly went bright, then instantly faded again. Another of the Kin had been slain, but without the hunt. She had no idea what magic had bound her so closely to the rat Kin, but she felt every sentient’s death, particularly those caused by another form of arcana.

A rat approached her in the darkness, nudging her hand until she took what it offered.

“What have you brought me, little brother?” The frail girl listened to the rats answer and stroked his head, then pointed her bandaged face to the object in her hands, as though she could see it through the cloth and the darkness.

“Surely not, Teul. This is far too big to be an eye. It is lovely though. The carvings are so intricate.” She traced the carvings, and what little light reflected off of the dark stone set in the middle, green glinting from the edges of its design.

“Will you hide it for me, sister Elyea? It feels important and the others cannot reach our secret spot.” Teul sat and started picking at his tail, something he did when he was nervous. Elyea knew he could sense the magic in the “eye”, as he called it, but didn’t know what to do with it. Neither did she, not yet anyway.

“Of course, little brother. And don’t pick at your tail. This is certainly nothing to worry about, and you will ruin it that way. You know the girls like a neat tail.” She tapped him on the head, then he left her in her room, one of the few tall enough to allow her human frame to stand at full height.

Listening to make sure no one else approached, she felt along the top of the wall until her hand felt the familiar nook where she hid things for herself and Teul. The other rats liked “borrowing” things too much for her taste, but she had no use for light where they still relied on sight too much to find her secrets.

That and they would get into the few plants she was able to keep on hand to relieve their pain when they got too seriously injured.

A few of the rat Kin found the body of a girl dumped in the sewer channels, bleeding and left for dead. To the exasperation of the elders, they drug her out and helped her heal, fighting the infections with what they knew. When she awoke some months later, the poisons from the sewage claiming her sight, memory, and most of her health, she found herself in a unique position to help the rats who had saved her. They quickly found in her a deep compassion and an almost supernatural ability to heal their own injuries, as well as dreams and nightmares which proved more than insightful in helping their plans.
There's truth in your lies, Doubt in your faith. What you build you lay to waste.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 10:35:12 PM »
The fish man stretched his lips wide and swallowed the bloody gobbets of rat meat raw. He smacked them once and fluttered his gills twice, making an eerie sound. "The problem with you is that you threw all the best tasting parts into the water, spell-waster." He turned his head, eyes panning across the dark of the sewers. "So if you are quiet done, maybe we can be on our way?"
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 10:37:43 PM by Murometz »

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 10:44:40 PM »
Well, at least he (it?) spoke right to the heart of things. Fym could appreciate that.

Turning on his heel, the Rib proceeded to lead the bizarre band deeper, into the sewers proper. As the tunnels twisted and turned, he kept trying to remember maps he had been memorizing for months, locked away as he had been, in one of Sheelba' prison-towers.

A left, then another left, a descent, a deep step into muck...Fym kept plodding along.

A thousand passages around every bend snaked through the underground like so many worms, and he could visualize nearly every one by rote. It would not be far now, he thought as he continued on, wondering the whole time about his odd traveling companions, the chosen questors of Sheelba-of-the-Eyeless-Face, and listening for the rats, always the rats.

In a few more minutes, he would get them to the Pits and the Gates of Refuse-Town. So far the thieves and rats had left the band alone here in the dark. So far so good.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 10:48:44 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 07:21:03 AM »
Geswald gave a shrug, "well, next time, ask for guts if that's what you want...".  Stupid fish-thing. That did not turn out they way he wanted.  No matter. Things still felt better today. Perhaps the wine-song was a lie all along?

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 12:52:43 PM »
"Don't offer what you are not willing to give, spell-waster' the Simorgyan chuckled. It had been a while since he had tasted man-flesh.