llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Rest in peace: Tombstone for my group  (Read 1840 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Plot Guild Golden Creator Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Rest in peace: Tombstone for my group
« on: December 15, 2008, 08:01:35 AM »
Ancient Gamer's gamers have been dissolved, as of a mail just a few minutes past.

My new life consists of work, exercise and socializing. I no longer had the energy required to GM, nor had the others the will to pick up my legacy.

An era is over. I have grown old and useless.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Re: Rest in peace: Tombstone for my group
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 04:55:56 PM »
It's not so bad. Come on! You can live for years, if not decades out of memories on the games, recalling the best of the moments with your gaming friends - and with us.

The lack of time sucks. But, no one says you can't still do something on the side... :)
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 05:05:17 PM »
AG,

GMs are born, not made. GMs cannot retire, any more than a wolf can retire from being a wolf. You are a wolf.

GMs re-invent, and bide their time, and create.

Things change, and change again.

Stay sharp! You never know when the next batch of wild-eyed PCs come knocking at your door.

<OOC> And there are always submissions and forum games :p</OOC>
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 05:24:13 PM »
Yes indeed, there are always forum games. Besides, I miss your submissions. Perhaps this will give you more time to pull more epic out of Coldforged.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Plot Guild Golden Creator Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 04:33:48 AM »
Well, I appreciate it guys I really do. I had a similar storm of e-mails from some of my players, those that read e-mail that is.

And I have not banned myself from these forums. I have simply joined the multitude of other GMs here that are no longer active. But in spite of being a relic from the past, I shall endeavour not to tell all the young ones of my countless years of experience, just to display it in stark contrast to their lack of the same :p (Mwahahahaha, I had to say that, the voices in my head told me to!).

See? AG is still AG, though he is rarely around and though he just put his players on  skiff and pushed them downstream, towards the waterfall! :p

Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • King
  • Scottish wolf-&^%$@ with silver fangs
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Master Questor Article Guild Elite NPC Guild 2012 Location of the Year 2012 Sub of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 06:57:21 AM »
Rather than retire perhaps you should try just gming less? (Gaming is a form of socializing, but way more fun)

Perhaps you should try to switch form campaigns to one shot games? (that last only 1-3 sessions)

From what you said you retired from gm and non one else wanted to step up and gm so you all split. From the sounds of this you still had the time to be a player, just not the extra time needed to gm prep in between gaming sessions.

One shot adventures can be just as rewarding as full length campaigns and take way less prep time, and allow you to try different stuff without worrying about killing  a months/years long epic campaign. (also a tpk isn't such a big deal and you can let players  have a larger variety of characters, even epic level ones if desired.)

Meh, there's an article sub in there somewhere I'll be writing the next time a have a spare hour; I'm sure you get what I'm saying.  :up:
"Lesbian gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 07:31:04 AM »
I'm sure I do, Silveressa. ;)

But I want this. I don't retire because I am sick of it all, I retire because it feels so d**n right.

I had a helluva time with roleplaying games, now I am gonna have a helluva time without them ;)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Michael Jotne Slayer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Retreat now? In our moment of triumph?
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Dungeon of the Year 2010 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 12:05:11 PM »
RIP. Mike puts some flowers by the tombstone.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

A skeleton walks into a bar and ask the Bartender: “Do you serve skeletons here?”

Times being what they are the wily Bartender replies: “sure, we serve anyone.”

The skeleton hands the man a silver and says: “Fine, I’ll have a pitcher of beer…and a mop”