llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: New Computer Games  (Read 1926 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Article Guild
    • Awards
New Computer Games
« on: December 12, 2008, 03:04:27 PM »
Let's face it, there is just not enough computer games. And who is better at coming up with new things than us? If you have any ideas on this topic, please drop them here.

---

"I'm a genius!" (strategy, suitable as a flash game)

It's true, you are smarter than the rest of the humanity. You were content with exploring philosophical mysteries, until your superior intellect alerted you to a great danger nobody else has noticed. They are a silly race, but you feel for them (plus there is the risk of your own premature death). You really want to help, but nobody believes you... and they are incompetent anyway. You have to take over the world for its own good.

Gameplay: featuring scenarios from zombies to alien attacks, the player has to take control of cities through any means necessary (from being a benefactor, through bribing and propaganda, up to eliminating opponents), that differ in their effectiveness, how quickly they influence things and can occasionaly backfire. So it is an economical-combat simulation where you take over existing resources and fight your enemies.

Meanwhile, the cities will come to realize the threat and start to defend themselves. They can prevent some of the  damage, but tend to use the wrong strategies and attack friendly units. It takes a genius like you to make it right.
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline manfred

• Emperor
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Article Guild
    • Awards
Re: New Computer Games
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 03:28:17 PM »
Idea completely stolen from: http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Scary_20House_20Guest#1018480306, read it there in its completness.

The character is a ghost.

Yes, you are dead, and can spend the eternity haunting houses, taking care of unfinished business(es), and complete side quests. A dark underlying plot may unveil eventually.

A ghost is immaterial and invisible, so can travel anywhere and see everything, but interaction with the physical world is limited. There would be an "ectoplasmic reservoire" that limits your actions, but the more people believe in your existence, the higher this potential gets. Some people are too skeptical though.

An option besides 'personal play' (avenge your death, etc.) could be to become the sponsor of your own family/clan and become its ancestor spirit, helping them and growing in influence. Might even end as one of those god-games.

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 05:20:11 PM »
For once I would like to see a game (likely an rpg), where it is possible to avoid fighting with every single monster and critter out there - if one has the proper fodder, equipment, knowledge or tactics. This would be more for fun, even if vital to escape the more powerful monsters at the beginning.

There's just too many games revolving around slaying monsters, there's got to be a change. I think the very possibility would add to a game's appeal. And anyone could try the extrahard pacifist challenge - though it would be a logistical nightmare to always keep all the options at hand. A large equipment list, lots of shopping and researching the target destination would be unavoidable.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 02:00:20 AM »
There was, boss, it was called Thief... Of course, you could fight everything, but only if you were a heavy-footed masochist, because everything in the game could, and would kill you without a bat of the eyes, and some did it with as little as just breathing at you...
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 04:48:47 PM »
Now, there goes my original thinking! Thanks for the tip Pariah, if I get enough time some day, I may just try it.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 05:14:47 PM »
But it was a neat idea. Thief was awesome. I miss thief and I just want all these first person shooters to go away!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Master Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 06:30:31 PM »
Gah, I find those just a little tedious for my taste :)

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 08:25:17 AM »
I'd like to see an RPG with the following elements:

1. A choice for which side you want to join.
2. Non-Combat options, like diplomacy, Negotiation, Stealth or untouchable status like for pacifist clerics
3. Opponents who are Red vs. Blue rather than Good vs Evil
4. Changing Equipment, armor, etc changes the appearance of the character.
5. Option to purchase and armor mounts
6. War gear like chariots, or siege weaponry
7. Purchasable castle, but once you have a base of operations, you will occasionally have to defend it

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Master Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
I'd add to your list

8. The Simm's level interaction with all intelligent NPCs.  No "Move Along Citizen... Yes?  Move Along Citizen..." NPCS. 

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 04:21:49 PM »
I'd just like a game that doesn't suck. All the games suck nowadays. They ditched my fave genres for... First person shooters and first person shooters and first person shooters.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Kuseru Satsujin

• Apprentice
  • Awards 2010 System of the Year
    • N&S GMs Netbook
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 07:28:21 AM »
I'd like to see an RPG with the following elements:

1. A choice for which side you want to join.
2. Non-Combat options, like diplomacy, Negotiation, Stealth or untouchable status like for pacifist clerics
3. Opponents who are Red vs. Blue rather than Good vs Evil
4. Changing Equipment, armor, etc changes the appearance of the character.
5. Option to purchase and armor mounts
6. War gear like chariots, or siege weaponry
7. Purchasable castle, but once you have a base of operations, you will occasionally have to defend it

I recommend The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Fallout 3 for these. While not all of the elements are present (and each has a few areas where they could be improved), they definitely give the feel you seem to be looking for.

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 03:45:09 PM »
Are there any second person shooters?

Now, for those in search of the ultimate RPG, there is of course Progress Quest, available for free, with the best playability of all games, and an incredibly intuitive user interface. Those of you, that don't know it already, try it out... it will change your perception of roleplaying games forever. :)

Offline Pieh

• A Lordliest Scent
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • I accidentally the entire Citadel!
  • Awards 2010 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Submissions Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 08:05:40 AM »
manfred, thank you for that link. I've been asleep since 1am and haven't stopped playing. I love it!
Cultist Rule #1 - Never summon anything bigger than your head.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 12:04:09 PM »
Progress Quest beats Oblivion,  hands down.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!