llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Late Great Beer Thread  (Read 2812 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
The Late Great Beer Thread
« on: December 06, 2008, 11:42:54 PM »
I like beer. I am going to talk about beer in this thread.

Budweiser American Ale
Tried a new one today. I like to try new things and since Budweiser is one of the domestic beers I consider palatable I figured I would give this new 'American Ale' a taste. The packing is smart, and it is more expensive than regular Bud. That's a good sign. Budweiser Select was pretty much Budweiser with a new label and an advertising campaign.

Aroma - Mildly unpleasant, the bouquet was a bit spikey and the nose was somewhat offended. This isn't really  major point, as most beer doesnt have a perfume like smell.

Body - I have to quote Muro on this one. 'Just make it browner'. The flavor is brown beer. That should sound unpleasant, because it kind of is. It won't be a repeat purchase but if it was free beer at a party or I'd already dzed a few brain cells and taste buds with other beer, it would do.

Finish - GAHK, not a beer to let sit in the bottle for a length of time. The warmer it gets, the more prounced the brown flavor becomes.

Final: 2.0/5.0

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Re: The Late Great Beer Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 11:28:53 AM »
Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale
Expectations are low, but the snowman on the bottle is amusing. This seasonal beer is a spiced beer that is aged in bourbon barrels.

Aroma - malty and dark, which is entirely expected.

Body - Not a bad beer, but nothing great either. it stays strong without becoming overpowering. Impressive considering that it is a Michelob brand seasonal beer.

Finish - like most such seasonal ales, best not to let them sit too long. The last drink can evoke a grimace it is gets above cold.

Final: 3.25/5.0

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 11:31:51 AM »
Redhook Seasonal
Self proclaimed liquid goodness, I was piqued by this beer. The blue and silver bottle and label was almost artistic in it's simple and angular labeling.

Aroma - As a seasonal brew, this one has a malty and spicy aroma. It is a little sharp, but no harm.

Body - Filling, and it doesnt drag on as you drink it. I like this one enough to buy this beer again.

Finish - Don't let it set, it is a malty dark brew and that last drink can be harsh.

Final - 3.75/5.00

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 11:34:49 AM »
Stella Artois
A belgian style pale beer, Stell is how you do it. The packaging in classic style with baroque elements on a green glass bottle. THe beer itself is simply sublime.

Aroma - Fresh and malty, without that hint and rank piss that comes in alot of pilsner style beers.

Body - Stella is smooth and crisp, the flavor light without being weak. I could drink this beer like water. Much loves.

Finish - Laced with sadness, as it means that there is no more left to drink. It does leave opportunity for another Stella.

Final - 5.00/5.00 and a HoH

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 05:17:19 PM »
BAA: 0/5
WBCA: ~
RS: ~
SA: 4.5/5

coolest beer bottle design EVAR:

[http://www.figtography.com/Blog/Beers/Maudite.jpg]

Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Michael Jotne Slayer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Retreat now? In our moment of triumph?
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Dungeon of the Year 2010 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 02:06:34 PM »
Red Stripe

Jamaican beer, always have at least one RS on any given party and in the frigde at all times.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

A skeleton walks into a bar and ask the Bartender: “Do you serve skeletons here?”

Times being what they are the wily Bartender replies: “sure, we serve anyone.”

The skeleton hands the man a silver and says: “Fine, I’ll have a pitcher of beer…and a mop”

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Elite Item Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 06:57:14 PM »
BEER!

Going to Denmark tomorrow. Gonna be a lot of Carlsberg and Tuborg, or should have been (see below), though I prefer German and Czech beer. *tips his hat to manfred and EchoMirage*

Sadly, as part of my diet and fitness program I am limited to:

Corona:
Mexican water. 1/5

Sol:
More Mexican water: 1/5
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Locations Guild Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 01:24:51 AM »
I'm guessing you find Mexican beers too diluted? It's true that they're not as strong and full bodied as most European beers, but they also tend to have a more pleasant flavour than European brews, perhaps for that very reason.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Elite Item Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 02:52:09 AM »
Mexican beer is alright. It is easy to drink, too diluted as you say. Problem is... Beer should taste BEER!

If I want water I drink water :p

But my personal trainer thinks Corona is the only beer one should drink, so I drink Corona. :p
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Locations Guild Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 02:30:09 AM »
If I want water I drink water :p

That's a fair point. I'm guessing that your personal trainer isn't much of a beer drinker.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 08:01:34 AM »
There are better Mexican beers than Corona.

Modelo Negro is a top choice
Dos Equis is also a good one

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 08:37:11 PM »
Bought a beer called Boon Geuze today. The description said, (i kid you not),

"A hint of 'horseblanket' and 'barnyard'. Smooth and crisp."

How does it taste? I dont know, i sent it to Scras for Christmas :) He'll have to tell us.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 08:52:02 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 12:34:36 AM »
Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale
Triple Fermented using two Yeast Strains

At special request, I am writing this review of Reinaert's while still inebriatred by the bottle. it uis a avery big bottle, 25 ounces. 9% alcohol. It also has a cork like a bottle of wine.

Great fun, foam went everywhere when I opened this bad boy. THe aroma is strong, and slightly unpleasant. The first drink is also rather on the rough side. But Reinaert is like finding a girl who isnt the prettiest girl in the bar, but once you get her in your place, she comes out of her shell and she is a stuinning and vivacious babe!

I ramble.

The beer is good, strong, I would recommend it with some sort of rich and thick beef stew. The beer's flavor is strong and able to stand on it's own. I am currently trying to eat a sandwich to counter=affect the beer's influence on my empty stomach and the sandwich is loosing. not for flimsy food.

I give Reinaert, which really really really needs an H in it's name somewhere a 4/5 and 2 HoHs.

Offline Andimia

• The last person picked for kickball
  • Lord
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 02:26:48 PM »
I'd just like to point out that Budweiser has always been from Czechoslovakia.
Miller is actually an American beer.
When you live in the Brew City you know these things.

If a woman can do it better, then by all means let her

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 02:39:47 PM »
True, but the Czech version, Budvar, tastes far better indeed. The breweries recently vaged war in court. The american branch won the right to retain the name Budweiser, Budvar lost the right.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 10:19:50 AM »
New Grist
A gluten free brew (as advertized, made from sorghum and rice... extract?)

It's labeled as a crisp and refreshing session beer.

It raunchy. That's all there is too it. I've tried Redbridge, a beer made from just Sorghum and its a regular purchase for me. This tastes nothing like it. The flavor has a slightly rancid undertone to it, and the smell is distantly reminiscent of a trash can.

I was shocked! Shocked I say.

1.5/5

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 09:05:34 AM »
Boon Gueze

Your label says hints of horseblanket and barnyard funk. How bad can that be? I've got horse blankets, and have been around that kind of funk before.

HO HO how wrong I was.

Quite simply, this is the absolute worse thing I have ever put into my mouth. I had to take three drinks just to make sure that my mouth was not making up just how foul this drink was. Several people have suggested that the beer in question might have turned, gone to the dark side so to speak.

It tastes like a dark malty beer that you drank about an hour ago. Then instead of staying quietly gone, it erupts from the back of your throat back into your mouth. It tastes like bile with a beer chaser. On top of that, it has an oily never say die undertone. Brushing my teeth and listerine wasnt enough to cut the flavour offending my tongue. I daresay that I would have to eat a bulb of garlic to defeat such an awesome foe.

In reference to horseblanket, I think that horse sweat would taste better than this beer.

I would like to quite sincerely thank Muro for introducing me to what I can now call 'The Worst Beer on Earth'

I humbly pass this information onto the rest of you all.

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 08:39:26 PM »
If you've got the time, cash, and inclination, mind reviewing this stuff? http://www.beveragewarehouse.com/search/more_info.php?item_id=1281
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --