llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Random Business Generator - I want plenty of shops.  (Read 3576 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Fallen Angel

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Random Business Generator - I want plenty of shops.
« on: September 14, 2008, 11:05:10 PM »
I think that if we put ourselves to it, we could make a entire town/city worth of shops using the Random Shop Generator. (Despite what the entry says.)

Remember to keep in mind that each 'item' interacts with each other 'item' that come up from the generator. A small cart with a 'everything in creation' selection must have a vesy small focus of speciality. Maybe spiders. Likewise, a large shop (roll a 12 on size) with a meager selecton will have as many items for sale as a cart with a impressive selection, but it has a larger focus of speciality. (If not a genneralist shop.)

I think we can create twenty five shops using this generator, and fluff them to be intresting. If you need a generator, here is one. Be warned, both 'D6' will be rolled next to one another. (The generator changes the entire roll to 1D12 + 2D6 + 2D7 instead of 1D12 + 1D6 + 1D7 + 1D6.)

Let the games begin!

Voting: Voting depends on who you thought came up with the most intresting shops (Not your favorites.) If you have a tie, pick the best group you can find. Also remember to mention your favorite shop at the end of your post. (From all entrants.)

I hope to put the winning entries as well as all the favorites into a single vast shopping district for Strolen's Citadel the setting. (Do we have one?  Why not?  Then this will be the founding of it!)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 05:01:12 PM by manfred »

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Re: Random Business Generator - I want plenty of shops.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 04:59:18 PM »
If all you are looking for is generating, you could have simply asked. :)

Here is a little thing so you don't need to roll as many dice: Random Business Generator. (Oh, and we've got a dice roller here as well.)

---

Let's try one:

Shop size:
 Medium wooden building

Inventory:
 Poor

Special Orders:
 Pretty good, 1D6 weeks

Quality:
 below average

Rakmakus is a squinting fellow of undetermined age, probably old. He runs a smithy with his three apprentices, in a poor part of town, but at a major road. He likes to stick to the classics - horseshoes and tools, there is no great risk but little risk. If you want something special, you've got to compliment him a little, he will refuse the first day, but eventually come around and do what you seek. While there are much better smiths around, he is surprisingly versatile in what he can make, if he has time to experiment. Too bad he usually returns to his favorites.

Generate away!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 05:01:47 PM by manfred »
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Fallen Angel

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 11:47:39 AM »
Seems I worded this one badly.. d**n.

I meant ot ask for people to roll 25 shops, and fluff each, then post the entire lot as a well.. lot.

Then people vote for the lots with the best fluffed shops as well as vote for a favorite shop in general.

He with the most well fluffed shops should win... as well as runners up comprised of all the (semi)popular favorite shops.

Offline Dragonlordmax

• Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 11:56:55 AM »
Regardless of intent, that's a nice generator -

I like this one:

Shop size:
 Supernatural venue: limitless possibility

Inventory:
 Almost nothing

Special Orders:
 N/A what you see is what you get

Quality:
 average

It's the Elemental Plane of Cheese Shops!

"I'm afraid we're fresh out of Red Leicester, sir."
He who says little speaks two syllables.
-God of Thunder

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 05:41:37 PM »
You could also try the Village People route, making a cohesive group of stalls by including their mutual relationships. We tried it several times with varied success. Find Town People or The Fishing Village for more inspiration... then try to do the same on a small space.

Maybe that will attract more attention...
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline MrAdam

• Nomad
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 07:50:46 PM »
Woot! I'm all over this!
Metheven The Talismonger
Shop Size:                  Permanent venue 2: owned wood and canvas stall
Inventory:                   Poor
Special Orders:           Pretty good, 1D6 weeks
Quality:                       below average
Metheven Corin is a seller of rare magical reagents, doo-dads, wotnots, components, tchotchkas and incedentals (and an accomplished con-artist and snake-oil man). His small wooden shop is cramed with racks of necklaces and pendants (dubious magical items) hundreds of botles of "magical potions" and "miracle cure-alls" (mostly colored vinegar) and dozens of crystals,  skulls, daggers, and "wands" (usually nothing but sticks with a lie bit of fairy dust sprinkled on it and a fake gem glued to the end)  Metheven is not a wizard (he is actually a thief who talks very fast) and sells his wares mosly to gullible "average people" , but adventurers are usually to smart for Metheven's tricks. If one looks hard enough, somone could actualy find a magical item amongst all the junk, but  you realy have to dig for it. Metheven is a man of average build and height, in his early thirties, with straw-colored hair that he keeps short, a goatee and brown eyes. He usually wears ostentatious wizardly robes decorated with golden astrological or alchemical symbols. He can usually be heared hawking his wares and their "Amazing mystical properties" at the top of his voice
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:57:04 PM by MrAdam »