llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: [Respite] - Factions  (Read 74225 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Master Questor Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
[Respite] - Factions
« on: August 16, 2008, 08:47:15 PM »
The gate flashed, and a dozen bedraggled figures emerged, surrounded by the Sentinels.  Quickly they were disarmed and spells readied.  The beastmaster with his pair of wolves moved in, searching for clues - for signs that abyssal evil had hitched a ride with the newcomers.  One of the wolves suddenly howled and immediately the young man they were examining was grabbed by the Sentinels.   
He made to fight, but an amber beam from a wand transfixed him. He then collapsed and was dragged away to a tent by two Sentinels.

"One day, no more," High Wizard Ionus said quietly to the grey-robed cleric who stood nearby. "The incidents are getting more frequent.  One of these times, it will be something more then a dark-tainted human that they find."

"My prayers are for those who did not make the journey, Ionus, and I understand the need to close the gate. The sacrifices made -" the cleric unconsciously handled his spherical holy symbol - " to open it forbid us from squandering the sanctuary we have here. It is a new world, and our place in   it has yet to be decided.  You have my support on this matter."

"My thanks, High Garun. Where are you going?"

"To try and save one more soul," said the cleric as he walked towards the isolation tent.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Master Questor Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
Re: [Respite] - Factions
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 08:32:38 PM »
Dimi ibn Yousif found the chaos here almost as bad as where he left, though little blood was being shed.  Though many descended into subterfuge, most had their fill of violence in their exodus.  Dimi's journey was no different - his group of raiders had been nearly wiped out by a squadron of  demonic lancers.  The touch of their cruelly barbed spears was enough to incinerate horse and rider, quick enough for the demonic rider to burst through the acrid clouds of smoke.  Only the intercession of the remaining gate defenders saved Dimi's life and granted him the time to make the gate.  The fight must not have gone well, for no further members of his people came through the gate thereafter. 

A week has passed since his arrival, and he has found no signs of his countrymen in Respite.  He did find that even in this pit of chaos, wenching and carousing could be had, though it was difficult to find something to pay for the pleasures of the flesh.  His horse was having similar difficulties - good fodder or even ground to graze upon was very difficult to find.

He was not entirely unsuccessful - it was mentioned more then once that just prior to his arrival, a massive exodus of nearly thirty thousand left Respite to found their own city, and some people who wore similar clothing had left with them.

Kou'rha's day was very interesting.  A hunting party from the outsider's city had come within a few bowshot of the village, and the village council was in an uproar.  A bit closer, and the strangers would have come across the north most Stoneflute and surely that would make them look even closer.  Now the council would decide on their course of action.

Rajani found the entry fairly painless.  After entering the gate at a somewhat undignified run, she perceived little transition as she appeared in front of a heavily armed phalanx of warriors. She felt the touch of powerful magic dance across her somewhat feeble magical defenses, and then felt them delve deeply - as if examining her soul on a vivisectionist's table.  A moment and it was over, and the soldiers parted to allow her to pass. 

A man wearing ornately painted leather robes walked over to her, bearing a long, equally ornately painted staff.

"Welcome to Respite, and pardon the intrusion - though I believe you understand it's .. necessity.   Come, sit with me. I have a few minutes to speak before the gate opens again.  Too few have been of your nature my friend."

<ooc - more to come soon.  Pariah, Scras and Dozus - Green light on post. Pieh and Drackler - hope to add yours tomorrow.  Hrofgar - please send me your details soon please. The Gate is not going to be open that much longer :) >

(minor edit, Rajani is female)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 08:04:48 AM by Scrasamax »

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 11:26:28 PM »
Dimi raged, an unfortunate side effect of the cheap ale he'd drowned himself in. 

"BARKEEP!  Don't you have something fit for more than feeding a sow?  I knew a begger once that made better swill than you seem to be able to sell.  In fact, my friend, I wonder if you aren't infact some sort of an extension of this gods d**ned world, sent to torment me further and drive me to take my own life!  SHARMUTAT, KULKUM.  Lessa wahid minkum qim laaqa jizmy."

OOC: That theur's them there type fighting words.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 11:32:11 PM by Pariah »
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Online Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 08:14:17 AM »
"I understand your concerns. I would not be too cautious in checking those who you gave asylum too." Rajani said. She lead her horse, a gelding she never learned the name of in her haste to escae Endkelton's demise. "As to those of my nature, I am afraid I am not sure what you are speaking of..."

Rajani felt her stomach sinking, she had spent too long hiding who she was, and a stranger knew. The Endkeltons had turned on the priests and priestesses when the minions of chaos and evil could not be turned back. Even as the city was under siege from the nameless horror, those not fighting at the gates and walls where throwing down the shrines and temples. Since escaping, she had not openly worn her holy symbol, a silver orchid atop a chevron made of bone. The pendant was hefty, and marked her as a priestess of the funeral order. For all she knew she was the last of the order, and her holy symbol, ceremonial dagger, and tooled cloak might all be left of 1200 years of religious tradition.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
[Respite] - Factions
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 07:19:07 PM »
The contrast was incredible.  One moment he was running pell-mell to the gate as unimaginable horrors slid over the castle walls and onto the outer battlement.  "All is lost! Every man for himself!" was the cry as the defenders turned from steadfast force to a panicked herd.  Perhaps one in three made the gate, and Toboran was one of those. 

He barely noticed the searching spells and took interested note of the wolves that came up to him, but did little apart from sniff at his trail rations - their reactions one of distaste.

"Welcome to respite! The warriors hostel is to your right ", the soldier who addressed him pointed.  No-one even asked his name, he noted.

Food and shelter were ridiculously high priced here - both were in short supply.  He would need to find employment soon, or perhaps go hunting.  Hunting was his preference, but the forests here were unknown to him, and had been demonstrated to be dangerous. He should find others if he could.  Strangely, he found few of those who had preceeded him through the gate.

Walking about the chaotic city, he happened upon one of the few taverns here, the Bearded Gremlin.
What the hell, he thought as he turned to enter..

The barkeep looked at the noisy one.  He barely understood a word - "Ale" and "Swine".  Terrisch was not the brightest of men, nor the best listener, but he understood intent.  The noisy one found his ale distasteful - which was no surprise, because Terrisch thought it so as well.  No matter - he would show this one why there was no bouncer here.  He straightened up, displaying his full six and half feet of height, his broad shoulders and massive fists.  He cracked his knuckles, smiled grimly and said "Sez you what?"

And it was this moment that Toboran entered the bar.

<Gah - ALREADY a bar fight.... >
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 07:40:10 PM by valadaar »

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
[Respite] - Factions
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 07:38:20 PM »

Somewhere near the Gate

Darkness raised.  He tried to sit up, but found he could not move.  He was not paralyzed, but he was trapped inside something - something metal.  It felt like a suit of armor, but unarticulated - down to his fingertips.  He couldn't see much either, though apparently there were holes he could breath through, and a little flickering light filtered in through those holes.   

"Awake I see" said a disembodied voice.  "Just as well - I was growing tired of waiting. Now my friend, or perhaps fiend, you will tell me about yourself. Why you bear the taint, and why I should not have your torso cracked like a walnut?" At that, Jhoric felt pressure on his chest - cold and unyielding.  It relaxed almost as quickly as it started.

"Take care in your response - falsehoods will be ... unfortunate."

Ionus looked with suprise as the fear crossed Rajani's face. Perhaps he was wrong...

"I mean one of the Art, my Lady.  Nothing more.  Is there something you wish to share?" - a pause. "No matter - you are free of Demontaint, and that is all we care about.  The Diabolic arts we have decided to ban forever. We shall not allow for the fate of our worlds to follow us here, and so we must probe all who enter, and be vigilant against any such magics.  We dug no further then to satisfy this need." He looked at her for a moment, before proceeding.

"Could you share with me the last happy moment you had in your world? I hear too much grimness lately, and would like at least one moment to reflect upon before I hear another tale of woe - all with the same ending."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Jhoric

• Human Warlock
  • Journeyman
  • Fear me, Mortals.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 08:53:03 PM »
Jhoric's eyes widened, he should have known this was going to happen. He would have to chooe his words carefully if he wanted to live.

"Please, I am no fiend. Though I may have been once, I no longer serve the forces of evil. However, I do possess some of it's boons still. You will not regret letting me live, I will do everything within my power to bring light to the darkness in my own way. Be merciful on my soul, let me try to cleanse it before it is sent to the after-life. I do not want to rot in the Abyss! Is saving a soul from Hell not enough reason to let a man live? I will cause no trouble, and shall help out where I can. This is my only chance to change things. I will be quiet now, and let you consider my fate. Ask any other questions you must, I will answer honestly as I have been."

He said all this very quickly. He took in a deep breath and tried to relax. He knew he should die, but something  changed in him when the demons came. He was different now, and he had to prove that.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 04:57:29 PM by Jhoric »

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
  • I will name him George!
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 09:49:07 PM »
Since the barkeep was obviously busy with some drunk, Toboran decided to keep his nose clean for at least the first day here. So he simply sat down away from the site of the...disagreement, and waited.
"And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, or the temples of his gods."

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 09:57:10 PM »
Dimi stood, all the five foot six of him, considered short even among his own people.  Holding up his cup, as if to toast the barkeep, or maybe just so that the man could, in fact, see that there was being a cup held out.  An ugly smile skewed his face, a patchwork of scars and more recent cuts and, as if to anchor it, a nose that wasn't so much a hook as a flattened wreck.

"Ahh, my friend; I've been a poor guest, and likely even poorer custom.  It's unfortunate, you see, but I personally feel like a visit to the healer would be in your best interests.  But here my friend, drink. Min Fudlek.."

Quote from: Pieh
<Gah - ALREADY a bar fight.... >

:mrgreen:
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 09:57:42 PM »
Kou'rha lay prostrate on the cool earthen floor of the carved stone temple as his uncle Tenrir prepared the sacrifice at the stone altar.  Chanting the Old Words, he cut the throat of the dead hare and poured its blood upon the granite.  Kou'rha was still, honoring the fearsome glory of the gods.

After a few minutes, Tenrir finally rose.  Kou'rha stood and faced him, avoiding eye contact out of respect for the shaman.  "What do the spirits say?"

Tenrir's already aged and lined face furrowed more.  "You can not know," he said simply.  He peered at his nephew's face.  "You are worried."

Kou'rha bowed his head in assent.  "The Council meets tonight.  The Others have come close to the forests again."  Tenrir nodded almost absentmindedly.  It only worried Kou'rha more.  "Will there be war, uncle?"

The shaman raised an arm in uncertainty.  "I think that they are afraid, too.  They come from far away to cut the trees.  I think they might be hiding."

A low rumble came from Kou'rha's throat.  "From what?  Are they hunted?"  He growled lower.  "Will their hunters come here?"  His hand closed into a fist.  "I will protect our village, uncle.  I am hard like stone."

Tenrir clapped a hand on Kou'rha's shoulder, a small and sad smile on his almost lipless Alun mouth.  "There are somethings, Kou'rha, that are bigger and stronger than you.  Have you seen the Others?"

Kou'rha bowed again.  "Yes.  I do not fear them.  They are tall, but not as strong as Alun.  I can break their spears."

Tenrir grunted and slapped Kou'rha's temple lightly.  "Do not be so quick to anger!" he warned, jabbing his gnarled finger at Kou'rha's face.  "Earth is patient, and stone waits.  Slow your spirit."

Kou'rha frowned.  "I am sorry, uncle.  I only wish to protect our people."

Tenrir's wizened face softened.  He put his hands on Kou'rha's head and pressed their foreheads together as a sign of kinship.  "I know, Kou'rha.  You do very well, and you make Uorlhan the Stone-One proud.  And you make your uncle proud."

Kou'rha worried a little less.  But thoughts of the Council meeting and the Others still lingered.

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Online Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 10:40:04 AM »
Noting his expression, Rajani gave the inquisitor one of her rare smiles."Please forgive my... wariness. As you can imagine the last few weeks have been very bad. I am a practitioner of two arts, so I am not sure of which you are referring. I carry the blessings of the divine so that I may heal the sick and infirm, but also the knowledge to ensure that they do not rise again as zombi, ghul, or wight. I have a small amount of arcane skill, but nothing more than a few parlor tricks." She folded her hands in her lap, weariness gnawing at her.

"But you asked for a happy memory, and I could hardly refuse that simple request. Endkelton I am afraid is... was not a place of gaity and mirth. but that doesnt meant that is was a drudging place. The dead were wont to rise there, hence my Order's existance. But look in the right places and there are faeries, tiny folk with glass-like wings and high laughing voices. They are not magic, nor are they very intelligent but with patience they can be taught a few words, and a few tricks. I had a little clique of them, three. One was abright red with green tinted wings, the other two were metallic blue, one with yellow and red stripes, the other the color of dawn. They would bring me things, and i paid them with flower honey and drops of sweet incense."

"It would happen that I taught my clique how to braid hair. This was innocent enough, but they do not sleep so long as there is light, and it was summer. By the end of the week, every horse mane and tail within a mile of their nest was braided. The white horses were covered with tassels of goldenrod and red heather. The farmers were... upset." she said, her hand covering her smile, a small laugh escaping her lips.

"I have a few of their eggs," shell produced a half dozen mottled green and brown spheres from a small purse, "But I do not think there is life left in them, I think they were of Endkelton, but not of this place."

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 11:19:57 AM »
Somewhere near the Gate.

"How odd you should say that, my friend.  Sometimes the way to save a man's soul is indeed to kill them, but it will not come to that, at least not today.

You show fear, not defiance - that is good, for pride is a sin - perhaps the worst of them.

Now, I do believe you - you do wish to repent your ways.  I'll not bother wasting either of our times with you recounting your prior blasphemies - they occurred in a dead world.  You have a new world to start anew - to avoid the mistakes of the past, and to atone for the sins of your progenitors.

However, others of my order may be less - accommodating - then myself.  I will give you a blessing which will help surpress your taint so that you shall not run afoul of them.  This may sting a bit."

Jhoric heard a small squeak of metal - as of a small door opening, and then fresh air touched his torso, followed by a touch much less pleasant.  The smell of burnt flesh struck his nostrils only moments before the pain registered, and his scream was only partially muffled by his metal prison.

"I give you your life, Jhoric, but you must remember what you owe me.  There are many who would willingly flense the flesh from your bones with their bare hands should they know what I do. Do not forget this.  We will talk again soon.  But first.."

A touch, and the pain disappeared, replaced with an odd warm sensation on his chest.  "Now, someone will come to release you shortly.  Speak nothing of this incident to anyone. " 

These last words struck Jhoric with the force of a commandment, and he had little question that he could not do so, even if he wanted to.

The waiting was maddening.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 01:43:01 PM by valadaar »

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 07:13:01 PM »
After what seemed an eternity, he heard someone come in and there was a rattle of keys.  The ground beneath him moved and Jhoric realized he was on some type of cart.  A few moments later the movement stopped and again there was a rattle of keys.  His black prison was replaced by daylight. He was out!

As his eyes adjusted, he noted several armored warriors standing uneasily nearby, weapons in hand, but not directly threatening...

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 07:15:16 PM »
As the drunkard and the burly barkeep engaged in some form of macho stare down, Toboran noticed that another armoured patron had gotten out of his seat quietly and was approaching the drunkard from behind.  In his hand was a large bottle held as a weapon...

Standing atop the weathered hilltop of of Uorlan's Spine, Rourl'rhac looked far north.  He could see in the distance the smoke of many more campfires then he had seen in a lifetime.  They were perhaps two days away if he were to hurry. But there was no need to hurry. Not yet at least.

Satisfied with his observation, he began to climb down the hill to his destination, the soft clinking of his ritual items announcing his present to animal and spirit alike.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 08:06:59 PM by valadaar »

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
[Respite] - Factions
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 08:18:55 PM »
When she mentioned the farmer's horses, Ionus roared with laughter - causing consternation in his aid who stood outside - just out of earshot. It had been a long time since the young boy had heard that sound.

"My lady, that is just the sort of thing I needed to hear.  As for your folk eggs, do not give up home yet.  The powers of nature are strong here and they might still bare life."

Ionus reached into his robe and produced a quill and scrap of parchment.  Quickly he scrawled a message in an unfamiliar language and handed it to her.

"I am an officer in the Respite Mage Society and would be pleased if you were to join us. If you need a place to stay, we have a hostel somewhat better then most in town.  Our hall is located in the center ring of the City.  Show this to the guard and you will be admitted. Fear not - the arts of Death are not feared here - only that of vile infernalism. "

He paused and then noticed a tall, brown robed man approach. "Oh!  Welcome high Garun - can I introduce you to... My dear, forgive me, I did not ask your name."

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 08:20:32 PM by valadaar »

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
  • I will name him George!
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 08:30:05 PM »
Deciding in a split second, Toboran quickly jumped up and lunged for the bottle-weilding man in armor. He grabbed the bottle and held his arms behind his back.
"Let the drunk alone!", Toboran hissed, just loud enough to be heard by his captive.
"And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, or the temples of his gods."

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
[Respite] - Factions
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 08:49:12 PM »
Gevaris was surprised - he had not anticipated any interference in his attack.  His assailent was no weaking and freeing his arm was not a sure thing.  He knew what was and his left hand strayed to his dagger.

<ooc - Pariah - post your character's intent and then it's initiative - the barkeep might beat your initative roll. Drackler - your PC does not see him reaching for the dagger. Yet. After Pariah declares his action, initiative will be determined and posted. >

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 10:46:46 PM »
Hearing the sounds of an ensuing struggle behind him, Dimi decided the best part of honor lay in being able to see what was happening.  Throwing his mug into the face of the barkeep he went to jump over the nearest table.

OOC: Init +7... Plans, get to a point where I know what's going  on, and then proceed to fight.  If that fool gets a knife out then I'm most definately pulling out a couple of knives, but otherwise I'd treat it as a pretty standard barfight, with chairs and mugs as weaponry...  <- the real reason DnD even has improvised weapon rules...

Online Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 08:38:30 AM »
"Rajani, though most who knew me called me Raja (Ray-YA)" she said, accepting the piece of parchment. "I would be honored to join your society of magi."

She felt a loosening between her shoulders, that constant knot of worry that had been there since the temple at Thord was burned. she had carried the knot for several months, the only time it had vanished was those fleeting hours when the main shrine at Endkelton had been overrun and she had spent those hours in a mad run to escape. It was a huge stroke of luck that she had found a mount and been able to escape on it. Many of the others had tried to run on foot, but were caught. It proved the adage about the hunters who were attacked by the bear. They didnt have to outrun the bear, just one another.

She thought of the others, her brothers and sisters in the order, and her family. She held no hope that any of them survived. Her mother and father hadnt been heard from in many months, almost a year now. She suspected that their village had been consumed entirely by the demonic hordes, and could only offer prayers and incense for their souls. Her blood brother, a warrior-monk was likely also dead, trying to hold the citadel not against demons, but against her own countrymen mad to escape the horror and driven the revenge themselves on those they thought guilty.

She steeled herself, not for the first time, there would be time for grief later. Now was time to blossom like the orchid, ignoring pain and loss to find sunlight and strength.

Rajani offered High Garun a formal curtsey.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 07:16:39 PM »
<ooc Initative Order: Dimi, Toroban, Gevaris and then barkkeep>

The barkeep almost ducked the mug as it flew towards his face, but it glanced off his forehead and spattered ale into his eyes, temporarily blinding him.

A moment later, Dimi sprung onto a nearby table to see what was happening, and saw the struggle between the two men.  The one being grappled was trying to reach for a dagger he had at his belt. Dimi also saw that several other men, also armored and bearing the same coat of arms were starting to get to their feet behind the two combatants.

Toboran suddenly threw his weight into his opponent - surprising him and bringing him down to the floor with a loud thud.  Gevaris howled in pain as his head bounced painfully against the floor.  A dagger flew out of his hand and clattered across the floor, coming to rest against the bar.

The barkeep, having cleared his eyes of the ale looked at the melee and his eyes flashed with real anger when he saw the dagger slide across the room.  All at once the short, ugly and noisy drunkard passed from Terrisch's concern and he now focused on the new fight.

Scowling, he pulled up a battered though serviceable war-flail.

"You bare steel in MY bar!!!"

<ooc- Dimi and Toroban - new moves please. Automove on the 26th>
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 07:23:15 PM by valadaar »

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 07:21:31 PM »
The High Garun favored Rajani with a brief smile and then turned to Ionus, "I must ask of you another favor, my friend." He spoke no further. 
Ionus gave a brief nod in response.

"Raja", he said quietly, "I need to discuss a private matter with the High Garun here.  I hope to see you soon.  With that he smiled once more, turned away, and walked away with the High Garun.

She looked down at the parchment scrap and thought.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Jhoric

• Human Warlock
  • Journeyman
  • Fear me, Mortals.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 07:54:12 PM »
Jhoric was free! He made his way over to his neatly piled belongings and quickly put them in their appropriate spots on his body. Then made his way past the uneasy warriors with a newfound confidance. Maybe he wasn't going to die just yet. With his belongings he found a note and read it while absent-mindedly walking down a street. It was a summons to the Mage's Society. Jhoric decided it would be best to head there, since it seemed to be getting late.

He found the Mage's hostel without a problem. It was right next to the only stone buildling around... A brothel. Well, he thought, that would have to wait. As he approached the hostel, a flimsy-looking two-story building (held together with magic, Jhoric guessed), the guard outside scowled menacingly. Jhoric was worried for a second, but held up the paper he was still holding. The guard took a look at it and stepped aside. He still looked angry though. Could he sense my taint? I sure hope not too many people can do that... Jhoric entered the hostel and found his room.

It wasn't much, but it was probably more than most had. Jhoric took one look at the bed and realized how tired he was. But it was so nice to be able to move, he thought! That metal suit was so very restricting, he hoped he would not find himself in it again. I must be careful, he thought while testing the strength of the bed. It seemed fine, so he layed on it and quickly fell into a deep sleep.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 04:57:54 PM by Jhoric »

Online Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 10:30:40 PM »
It was simple enough to find the hostel of the magi, and while it was a far cry from Endkelton's once fabled onyx and alabaster temple mounts, she was far more glad to see it. A guard checked her papers and she was allowed to enter. After seeing to her room and the securing of her valuables, Rajani ventured into the common area of the hostel.

While she did not expect to hear anything of Endkelton, she craved some human companionship, she had been traveling long enough that the thought of simply sitting still and listening was almost a joy to contemplate.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 07:30:39 PM »
Kou'rha was meditating in his favorite clearing when his uncle came to see him.

"The council too follows the way of the stone.  For now they will wait and watch.  As shall you.  Tonight, stand near the northern Stoneflute where you can hear its song, and stand vigil until the moon dips back down.  Tell me what you see when you return."

And with that, Kou'rha's aged uncle turned away and left him to himself.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2008, 10:03:45 PM »
Kou'rha did not wait until evening.  Though he was of a stony soul, his heart was fiery as a young wolf and he did not wish to let anything slip his grasp.  Thus in the late afternoon, as the sky began to show the deep shades of orange that marked the evening, the Alun stood a stone's throw from the Stoneflute, his staff gripped in one hand and creating a strong tripod with his legs.

From the raised hill of the Stoneflute, Kou'rha could gaze the lands surrounding him: Uorlan's Forest that surrounded his chosen people, the growing city of the Others that felled so many trees off in the distance, the ancient trail that had once led hunters to the herds in the South before the Small Ones built their city.  Kou'rha continued to mull over Tenrir's words.  It was difficult for him to keep up with the council meetings, so he relied mainly on his uncle's direction.  He was still unsure whether it was on the council's orders or Tenrir's own instruction that he guarded over the Stoneflute.  A cool breeze ushered in the last bit of the sunset as the air cooled, gently whistling over the Stoneflute as though the spirits answered him.  The bright waning moon was now overhead, shining enough light to dimly make out the trees and stones around Kou'rha.  It was enough to stand vigil by.

With a slow breath, he watched, and waited.

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4