llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Moongoose's Traveler  (Read 3244 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Moongoose's Traveler
« on: June 26, 2008, 01:14:35 AM »
Love it? Hate it? Better than waiting forever for Traveler's 5th? Don't know what the Frell I am talking about?

Discuss
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Re: Moongoose's Traveler
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 08:27:26 PM »
I finally have all the Core Suppliments for it.  The game rocks.  If you liked old Traveller at all, you will love the new version.  It is easier to play, simplier to play (without losing anything), you can generate better characters (and character gen is still "just that much fun", the 3Rd Imperium edit changes are good.  Anyone?  Anyone at all?   
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 12:03:49 AM »
I don't know what the frell you are talking about.    :lol:

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 11:53:20 PM »
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/series.php?qsSeries=51

Here is the current line... cool stuff suitable for all sorts of sci-fi gaming.  Want to play Hammer's Slammers? 

And for the Frell.....

Traveller is one of the first RPGs and the first Science Fiction one (though the publisher of Metamorphosis Alpha disputes).  Unlike most early games, this one is just as playable today as it was 35 years ago. It is a classic game covering everything you would need for sci fi of the time, with a touch of space opera.   The setting is a treasure.  Imagine 35 years of loving fan and professional work lavished on a setting.  There is just that much material. 

Mongoose Traveller is a new set of Traveller rules first published in 2008. The rules are designed to harken back to the Classic Traveller days, using simple rules (the 2d6) but updated to take advantage of 30 years of evolution in RPG design.

When the Mongoose Publishing announcement was made in August 2007, there was some controversy in the Traveller community regarding the fate of the other, then current, Traveller publishers. Over the course of a few weeks, and many different discussion forums, it was revealed that Marc had decided to let the official Traveller licenses for QuikLink Interactive, Avenger Enterprises, and Comstar Games expire, most of which would expire in 2008 or 2009. The licenses for Steve Jackson Games and Far Future Enterprises would remain.

Mongoose Publishing announced the publication of the Mongoose Traveller Main Rulebook in April 2008. True to their word, the rules followed the Classic Traveller design, using 2d6 for most character creation and resolution mechanics. It was updated with an events table for failing a survival roll in character creation. It also included a task system (similar to MegaTraveller) for ease of resolving combat and other interesting events. Mongoose's plans include republishing many of the older Classic Traveller books, updated for the new rules.

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Månlufsen (The Moon Bum)
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 5 2011 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 09:53:36 AM »
I almost played Traveller years ago when a friend talked me into it. After what seemed like an hour with the dice, watching my initial character concept shatter beneath the brutally bad luck of poor dice rolls and realizing that I hadn't even gotten through character creation yet, I gave up and went back to Star Frontiers.  :what:

Having said that, I've just ordered the core rulebook and plan to buy more. It seemed like such a rich system, I look forward to delving into it and plundering it for all it's worth. Any recommendations on which core and/or supplemental books stand out from the others?
Chosen of Aktagarti – Divine Synod Guild – Level 1
Might: 2 | Agility: 3 | Wits: 4 | Charm: 3 | Spirit: 4 | Power: 2

The old man, grey-haired, braid hanging down.
He is clothed in faded brown robes.
His craggy face is turned up, bathed in moonlight;
He looks for his goddess to smile upon him.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 01:14:44 AM »
Traveller character generation is like a video game mini game.   It is just so fun and random, and once you learn the process, takes about 5 minutes tops (or record was 95 seconds for a 4 tour minimum character.  (Your friend was obviously missing something there). 

With any game that has a totally random generation system, check your preconcieved character conception at the door, and try to string together what is on your paoper.

Anmd if you don't like, you could always make more.  Like dozens.  Eventually you will find a character you like.

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©