llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: 3.0 Inner Workings  (Read 5321 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
3.0 Inner Workings
« on: May 11, 2008, 12:37:13 AM »
Add Comment
-comment>300letters=> 2
-comment<300letters=> 1
-admin delete comment => -4
-author delete comment => -2

Add Idea (was Scroll)
-idea => 5
-idea > 500letters => 6
-admin delete idea => -8
-author delete idea => -6

Vote
-  1.0 => -3
-  1.5 => -2
-  2.0 => -1
-  2.5 => 0
-  3.0 => 1
-  3.5 => 2
-  4.0 => 3
-  4.5 => 4
-  5.0 => 5
Deleting a comment/vote will just remove the XP except for the comment which loses -3 no matter what.

Voting on Comments
-  upvote => 2
-  downvote => -1
(it will only show a single increment but the xp reflects as shown)

Voting on Scrolls
- same as comments unless we want to change that.

If an Author of the sub votes on the comments/scrolls (not implemented yet)
-  upvote => 5
-  debating on some kind of icon/identifier that shows "Author approved" type info for the idea/scrolls portion. So when somebody inputs an idea and the author likes it they can make it "official" or something.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 06:57:01 AM by Strolen »

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Re: 3.0 Inner Workings
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 12:47:44 AM »
Suggest a sub => 2
remove suggested => -5

HoH (tentatively Heralded now) => 5
Golden (tentatively changing to HoH) => 5

Submission > 4000 => 5
Submission > 2000 => 4
Rest => 3

Idea Seed => 3

Level 3

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 12:50:49 AM »
BH Posts are no more. Must be registered to input anything and submit to the forum.

I sort of liked it too but it is just too much trouble to stop them that it just isn't worth it for the few that will post. Many of you will say finally, but I didn't want to have to do it.

Level 3

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 06:14:01 AM »
Deleting comments:
 - Posting a scroll, and then deleting it gives you some free XP, so that should be amended.
 - Another thing to be considered, is deleting own comments, which could have less of a penalty. There should be a difference between having one's comment deleted, and retracting your own statement, or correcting something mis-posted.

Noticed 2.5 vote is missing... the logical number seems to be zero. Sounds about right. :)

(Are Golden subs being changed to HoHs, or do I read it incorrectly? May have forgotten some planned changes here.)

---

I want the Barbarian Horde.

They can be annoying, but they are not that much trouble. The bad comments we can delete, the lesser quality we can edit or reply to, the good ones we can hopefully attract to stay. With current settings, they can't post in the forums anyway, the only place to watch out is the main site.

Yes, we need to change their interface as well - include a link to register, among other things, and make the whole thing less ugly and confusing.

But to kick them completely? I think we can do better than that.
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 06:35:50 AM »
BH: including them is such a huge pain in the ass and requires an entire level of coding support, to include turing double checks, that make the effort almost not worth it. There are already "Register to comment/vote" Type links where input is possible.

The reason I made that move this time is because I found over 19K spam posts that by some fluke don't show up because of the way they are written. This is with the current safeguards in place. It is a VERY simple check right now so I wonder who would spend the time to write a quick exploit for that, but it obviously happened. They showed up in the new site where I resolved the visibility issue and I started seeing mass spam in occassional submissions. I would have to do the more advanced turing tests, probably with graphics, to stop the encroachment of the Horde.

We can discuss it more later, but initially, their input will be repelled from the ramparts.

Thanks for the XP corrections and that makes sense about deleting you own comment. I still want a penalty for deleting comments as once a comment is up and seen, if it dissappears that could be annoying to many. Might still think about an XP hit for a deleted comment/scroll. Somebody shouldn't have the ability to just delete all their stuff when so many others are effected by it.

It is said that HoH speaks to highly of the small blessing we give them and that the names holds too much power for the small trinket they are bestowed. Golden, well, I have never liked that and if the HoH title holds much sway and I love the HoH name, then perhaps it could unroot and replace golden and we rename the once called HoH.

HoH replacement names - Spotlighted, Heralded, Blessed (would be copying off www.perlmonks.com ), sponsored...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 06:59:02 AM by Strolen »

Level 3

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 05:06:24 PM »
BH: I'd wager the current spambots have all the tricks in their books, newer and older, so if there is a hole, they will use it. No reason to exclude our rare, strange anonymous minority for it.

If it's a temporary measure, so be it, but I really wouldn't want to change a key part of the Citadel because of technology... I like the openness we started with.
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Item Guild Elite Systems Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Plot Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 05:16:49 PM »
Having fought with those darned spam bots myself, and knowing that they go to any length to crack the captcha and other safeguards, I say:

BH inclusion is nice, but ain't worth the effort.

Ditch BH and go for ease of coding and increased security.

Keep it simple, stupid.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Online Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • King
  • Scottish wolf-&^%$@ with silver fangs
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Master Questor Article Guild Elite NPC Guild 2012 Sub of the Year 2012 Location of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 09:25:52 PM »
I completely agree with exiling the BH to the depths of some other websites dungeon.
After all, if someone has something worthwhile to add to the site, they should be willing to put forth the effort of registering first. (this keeps the knee jerk comments/half thought out drivel from cluttering threads)

Also, the less spam/drivel the admin's have to squish the better since it gives them more time to make worthwhile upgrades to the site as well as post their own comments & subs.
"Lesbian gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 10:11:38 PM »
That makes so much sense it hurts. ^
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 10:14:22 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin