llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: And So It Begins  (Read 127 times)

0 Members and 2 Barbarians in a Horde are spying on this topic.

Offline Matthew Scott

• DM of the Hoard
  • Nomad
    • Awards
And So It Begins
« on: February 02, 2015, 11:40:56 AM »
Hello everyone, my name is Matthew, as you could glance by my username, and I am a Game Master. I have been game master-ing in some form or another for almost 12 years, and in that time I played with hundreds of players and the lessons I've learned and the worlds I've built are innumerable.

Allow me to go into a bit more detail about those "hundreds" of players I just spoke of. In high school I was the de facto DM for the RPG club. My school was big, around 8000 kids, and with that many kids, even a very small percentage wanting to try RPGs was a lot. Anyone in the school who wanted to learn D&D, or even if they knew how to play and just wanted a group to play with, they'd probably end up in one of my campaigns. Generally I ran two games, a big one with people who were inexperienced and/or couldn't come every week, and a smaller more serious one with a more consistent schedule; at the height of the clubs popularity, I was running 4 games at once, each with at least 5 players, and was a player in 2 other campaigns. Nowadays however, I'm in college and I only DM one group, as well as an semi-annual reunion game I run when I'm home.

But my personal backstory can go elsewhere, before this post is over I have two quick questions:
Is there a section either here on the forums or on the main Citadel dedicated to GM-ing articles and stories, as opposed to settings and characters?
If I were to begin posting a setting, where is a good place to start?

I can't wait to dive into this community!

Offline MysticMoon

• Progresstinator in training
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Mi serĉas vortojn
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator 2011 Society of the Year
    • Campfire Stories
    • Awards
Re: And So It Begins
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 11:56:26 AM »
Welcome, Matthew!

To answer your questions:

Is there a section either here on the forums or on the main Citadel dedicated to GM-ing articles and stories, as opposed to settings and characters?
If I were to begin posting a setting, where is a good place to start?

Yes. If you hover over Articles on the main site, you can see the various subcategories (or browse them all at http://strolen.com/browsing/articles). There is some fiction, as well as plenty of advice on running games.

You can either begin putting down thoughts in the Setting Forge or just start posting subs. It is highly recommended that you spend some time reading various submissions and comments to get a general feel for what is expected here before you post new material.

Looking forward to seeing what you have to offer  :cthulhu:
Chosen of Aktagarti – Divine Synod Guild – Level 1
Might: 2 | Agility: 3 | Wits: 4 | Charm: 3 | Spirit: 4 | Power: 2

The old man, grey-haired, braid hanging down.
He is clothed in faded brown robes.
His craggy face is turned up, bathed in moonlight;
He looks for his goddess to smile upon him.

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Lifeforms Guild Elite Master Questor Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 12:05:03 PM »
Excellent greeting Mystic. I can't add anything apart from saying welcome aboard Matthew!

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Hall of Heroes 10
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 12:15:26 PM »
Welcome, Matthew! You've found the right place!!

GMs-R-Us!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 02:36:25 PM »
WELCOME!!!

I scream with caps lock affection, my great joy is... Great.

Other than that:
Welcome aboard. It is good to see a new face. Hope you find the site as useful as I do.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • Lord
  • Awards Article Guild Elite Article Guild Hall of Heroes 5 Questor Item Guild Golden Creator
    • Moonlake's Fiction Space
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 04:46:26 PM »
Hi, Matthew. I do have something to add to what the other Moon already said (we have a lot of Moons in the Citadel as you would come to find). There is a link called I am Newish under the Library drop-down. Click on it and it will take you to a page with a bunch of 'recommended reading' subs for a new Strolenati like yourself. Other than that, welcome.

Human (Level 2)
Crysilis Embroider -  Apprentice Weaver
Moonlake Ku - Apprentice Strolenati
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 4| CHA: 2 | INT: 3
"Crazy woman devoted to 2 Worlds, 2 Guilds and randomness"
Visiting beloved Dragon Empire

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 05:30:50 PM »
All hail Matthew of the Scott!

I always wondered who herded The Hoard who couldn't afford to be ignored else you be floored, or even gored on the end of their sword!

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Matthew Scott

• DM of the Hoard
  • Nomad
    • Awards
And So It Begins
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 06:26:02 PM »

Wow quite the friendly bunch in here
Yes. If you hover over Articles on the main site, you can see the various subcategories (or browse them all at http://strolen.com/browsing/articles). There is some fiction, as well as plenty of advice on running games.

You can either begin putting down thoughts in the Setting Forge or just start posting subs. It is highly recommended that you spend some time reading various submissions and comments to get a general feel for what is expected here before you post new material.

I will definitely be posting in the setting forge as soon as I get something comprehensible put together, I have a lot of reading to do first though.

Hi, Matthew. I do have something to add to what the other Moon already said (we have a lot of Moons in the Citadel as you would come to find). There is a link called I am Newish under the Library drop-down. Click on it and it will take you to a page with a bunch of 'recommended reading' subs for a new Strolenati like yourself. Other than that, welcome.

I have checked out a lot of the stuff on the main site, the I am Newish content will certainly be helpful!

All hail Matthew of the Scott!

I always wondered who herded The Hoard who couldn't afford to be ignored else you be floored, or even gored on the end of their sword!

Ya... I um... I agree. Thanks for that?

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards Questor 2013 Location of the Year NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 07:23:24 PM »
Ya... I um... I agree. Thanks for that?

Fear not the Lunacy you see, for soon you will see our Lunacy will set you free from the drudgery of
normalcy. Embrace your lunacy for I guarantee it is the key for creativity.

Potpourri.
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.