llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The dragon wasteland  (Read 2204 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Sunilor

• Apprentice
    • Awards
The dragon wasteland
« on: February 29, 2008, 01:29:16 PM »
Hi! I will start to appologize for my bad english so I dont have to check my spelling:D

I( discovered that my last post in this forum was may 2006 and im still working on the same campaign plot, man thats freaky:/)

This is a "viking fantasy campaign".(low fantasy) The RPC arrives at a town that needs help with killing a dragon. The one who kills
it will be rewarded with something reeaaaally special by the king. (suggestions needed)

In the towns inn there is 4 wizards arguing amongs each other about how to kill the dragon. Every wizards is convinced that his idea is the best
and the others wont work. So the RPC, who ofcourse is gonna find a way to kill the dragon, may choose wich idea they should try.
The 4 ideas are:

* The halflings in the southwest lives in a deep forest. Its said that they uses a poision on their
arrows that can kill anything no mather size. The best way to kill the dragon is to
use this poision! (the poision is just a lie so "big people" will leave the halflings alone)

* Elves lives in the Copperforest in the south. They know a ancient language once speaking by
the gods and they can slay a dragon with just speaking the right word!(the language is since
long forgotten)

* The last dragonknight is disquised as a common wanderer and searching for the
perfect apprentice somwhere out in the land. He is the only one who can kill the dragon!
Its said to be a dragonkinght temple somwhere in the mountains in the north. Maybe
clues is to be find there? (he is not in the temple)

* The Spear Yggdrasil is supposed to be hidden deep under the mountains in
the dwarf kingdom to the east. The wizard have forseen that the dragon only
can be killed with this weapon! (its just a legend and doesent exist)

But none of this ideas are correct. All will only lead to a dead end.
But when all hope has faded, the last dragonknight will come to the RPC.
He have heard about their hard work and bravery and convinced that they
are the perfect apprenticies. So he train them and togheter they slay
the dragon. Thats the plot!!

There will be somekind of reward at the end of every "part". But not just the way to kill a dragon, but something that will help
the RPC on their way.

Well I ofcourse have alot of stuff already figured out. But i dont want to scare u off with too much text:D
So pls come with suggestions and oppinions! I would like to hear what u have to say!
I will write down my ideas more in detail if someone is interested or if its needed!!

The idea im working on now is the one about the halflings and the poision.
Im just not sure what will happend there. Maybe the HalfLings wont let
the RPC leave so that the secret wont be revealed? Or maybe the poision
doesent even exist? Have the Halflings been killed? Or are they slaves under
some evil guy?

« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 01:33:16 PM by Sunilor »
/ You know who I am but im not the one you think i am

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Re: The dragon wasteland
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 06:43:53 PM »
Hallo, Sunilor. There is no way to apologize... we will make you check your spelling. :twisted:

But let's see:

I like that the stated goal of killing the dragon is only at the end of the story, after going through other missions - dragons HAVE to be extremely dangerous, so much that you need all help and all the luck to seriously wound one.

For the final reward in the Viking-like fantasy, you definitively have to start with a huge feast thrown in the players' honor. That is a must. The rest of the reward should be something to drive other adventures - perhaps a ship under their control? Or they become 'defenders of the crown' (think of a fitting title), which would make them minor nobles... and bound to help to their king in any way. (Oops, there are three angry giants terrorizing the country. Oh, somebody has to go on a diplomatic mission far away to prevent a war - that kind of stuff.)

Don't put the four wizards into the town's inn, that smells of a bad computer game. Make them important characters, with their own homes, libraries, etc. Their arguing should throw any city council off track. Make them hard to approach, and let the players use their smarts.

The four ways to kill the dragon can be all wrong, but each should offer at least some bonus for the final mission, related to the rumors. The halflings could offer healing herbs, so that they don't expire from the poisonous breath afterwards. The elves might know a few words of the draconic language - which might be enough to make the dragon pause at a critical moment. The temple could belong to a completely different deity than expected; but it still might offer blessings for warriors on a noble quest. And there is no spear; but there might be a useful sword underground. Simply, twist what is already expected, and make the journey worth it anyway.

As for the halflings... well, they could have some weak poisons, that only knock people out - and pretend, that those, who misbehave will feel the real thing. And of course they could have problems with someone who sees through the charade.
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Sunilor

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 05:37:45 AM »
Hallo, Sunilor. There is no way to apologize... we will make you check your spelling. :twisted:

But let's see:

I like that the stated goal of killing the dragon is only at the end of the story, after going through other missions - dragons HAVE to be extremely dangerous, so much that you need all help and all the luck to seriously wound one.

For the final reward in the Viking-like fantasy, you definitively have to start with a huge feast thrown in the players' honor. That is a must. The rest of the reward should be something to drive other adventures - perhaps a ship under their control? Or they become 'defenders of the crown' (think of a fitting title), which would make them minor nobles... and bound to help to their king in any way. (Oops, there are three angry giants terrorizing the country. Oh, somebody has to go on a diplomatic mission far away to prevent a war - that kind of stuff.)

Yes a feast is good! Im thinking that maybe they will be rewarded with a castle. But since they are famous heroes by then everyone wants their help
all of the time. So it will get so irritating that they might just move away so they will be left alone. Or help everyone:)

Another idea I have is that the rpc find a egg in the cave after killing the dragon. And ofcourse alot of people want the egg becuase the one
with a tame dragon by his side would crush all who opposed him. It will be up to the rpc to either give away the egg, sell it or maybe
try to destroy it or hide it. Maybe none of the leaders are good so the rpc dont want them to have that kind of power. So, when they
are supposed to be heroes maybe they will be threated as criminals when the leaders hear they are running away with a dragon egg.
Or something like that...

Quote from: manfred
Don't put the four wizards into the town's inn, that smells of a bad computer game. Make them important characters, with their own homes, libraries, etc. Their arguing should throw any city council off track. Make them hard to approach, and let the players use their smarts.

Yeah you might be right, that would also make the campaign longer and the visit in the town a little bit more interesting.
But I dident actually mean "wizards". I thought of them like some old confused men, that no one cares about, who was
just talking in the inn. And maybe they see themself as wise wizards or something but they arent, just some old
fools always arguing in the inn about all kind of stuff. And ofcourse they all are wrong but somehow in the end
it anyway leads the rpc to the dragonknight:) 

But I like your idea aswell so Ill have to think about it! Maybe the wizards arent wizards but somekind of
council that gives the king advice. And they have divided oppinions on how to kill the dragon so the king
is just as confused.

The four ways to kill the dragon can be all wrong, but each should offer at least some bonus for the final mission, related to the rumors. The halflings could offer healing herbs, so that they don't expire from the poisonous breath afterwards. The elves might know a few words of the draconic language - which might be enough to make the dragon pause at a critical moment. The temple could belong to a completely different deity than expected; but it still might offer blessings for warriors on a noble quest. And there is no spear; but there might be a useful sword underground. Simply, twist what is already expected, and make the journey worth it anyway.

Great advice! I have already thought of healing herbs but the idea that the elves know a few words of the language is just brilliant!
And the temple idea is just as good! I really like it, I just have to figure out what kind of deity they worship. Maybe they are evil?
The useful sword thingy is also very good! Or maybe there is a last survivor of the dwarfs down there that tells them that the
spear is just a legend. But maybe instead of giving the rpc a sword he enchants their weapons with magic runes!!

Why dident i think of all this earlier??? :D

As for the halflings... well, they could have some weak poisons, that only knock people out - and pretend, that those, who misbehave will feel the real thing. And of course they could have problems with someone who sees through the charade.

I actually came up with a idea about the halflings im quite satisfied with. Hmm its hard to explain.  But they are so kind and loving in their peaceful land that its actually a kind of defence.
Its a curse. The place its so wonderful that the RPC will have hard to leave, many have come and stayed there. But the victim dosent know how long he is staying and sooner or later he
dies of hunger and thirst without even realising he have stayed so long. So the RPC can find skeletons from earlier victims in the land and then, maybe before its too late,
starts to realise the danger they are in.

But I have hard to get a reward into this so maybe ill change this idea even thou I really like it. Maybe the RPC never reach the halflings homeland, they get killed in the woods.
But the Halflings revive them with their herbs. When the RPC asks the halflings explains they have no poision but are willing to give away some of the herbs to help the char
in their quest.

Thanx for the GREAT ideas!!! Really helps alot!!
But im still open for more ideas and thoughts!:D

Offline Sunilor

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 07:01:49 AM »
I have changed the campaign plot again but this time im 100% satisfied!! :D

The plots is no longer about trying different ways to kill the dragon. It will just be too much work for me to
do a campaign of that kind. Instead the campaign starts off with the rpc seaking the elves in copperforest with their "endless knowledge"
in hope off that they know a way to kill the dragon.

When they arrives the elves are having a feast. The RPC will be spared if they succed to entertain the king which they do. The king
goes up in his tower to "seek the stars advice" about how to slay the dragon. Meanwhile the rpc participate in the feast. Afterwards
they are summon to the king who have read the stars. He points on a new star he calls "The virgin"(or something), the star
of hope. It will lead the rpc to the place where the dragons bane is, in the wildland of the north. They can only see the star
at night and sometimes they sky will be clouded. It will be a long and dangerous journey, they will both encounter friends and
enemies.

(In this way I can make alot of "frees-tanding single adventures" that stills fit the campaign. So i dont have to make
the whole campaign done from the beginning, I just have to do one adventure at a time.)

I would like some ideas on how to make the elves feast interesting for the players, more then just to tell what
happends. Try to make the feast interactive. Is it possible to make dance and musik entertaining in a
adventure? How do elves "party"? What do they eat? Do they eat meat or are they vegeterians?

The idea with this feast is that it will be a happy time for the char, a time they will never
experience again. After this it will just get worse, untill they have slayed the dragon. A kind
of contrast between happy times and bad times... :)

I would really appreciate ideas and thoughts!!

Offline Sunilor

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 11:00:28 AM »
Hi again. Sorry if I have mentioned this before but I was hoping you could give me some sagely advice:)

I have another idea for this campaign. The RPC have to find "The last dragonknight" becuase only he knows how
to kill the dragon. Its said that he is somewhere out in the country searching for the perfect apprentice disquised
as a common traveller. The "elves in a forest" knows that he is living in exile in "the wildland" to the north.
They said to him that he would find the perfect apprentice there, wich will be the RPC when they find
the last dragonknight. Who by then have given up all hope of finding the apprentice and thinks the elves
tricked him. So the RPC have take a hard trial and if they make it they will get the "Dragonslayer sword"
just before the last dragon knight dies of old age or something like that.

I really like this idea but i dont see how It can fill a whole campaign with "the search for a missing person" without
it feeling elongated. I want it to be a interesting episodic campaign!
Anyone have any experience of this type of campaign, any ideas?

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 06:37:49 PM »
No experience with that personally... well, you may need to start with the person of this dragonslayer. He might be old, but he is still a hero. People like him don't get exactly lost. Even if he has abandoned the kingdom to its fate, he will try to help others, so that good people survive. The PCs could track him by his deeds, and may need to prove themselves on the way:

- he saved a village from X (fire, orcs, giants, illiteracy, etc), for which the villagers are grateful, but won't tell the next band of bloody-handed mercenaries, into which direction their hero went
 - he exhorted the spirits of a little town to fight against Y and they won. But then he left and Y returned in a big way. Now are the townspeople pretty pissed for their ruined town and decry the old fool.
 - they follow his trail into the next town or village, finding he never came there. Backtracking, they come upon the home of that shapely young lass, that threw them out before. Why, it turns out, the old man still has it with the ladies and was here recovering for a few days, the PCs nearly passing him for chrissakes!
 - in the last adventure, they may need to rescue him from something too big for his shoes

In short, let the PCs follow him "meaningfully". Let them have adventures based on his own. They may need to correct a mistake or two of the old man. Let them learn to know him, a thing or two each time, without even seeing him. Let them connect to the character before meeting him for the first time.

Have a couple of these and your PCs may have a much easier time to persuade him to come along.
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.