llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Powers That Be: Messenger Service  (Read 3326 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Powers That Be: Messenger Service
« on: October 06, 2007, 03:46:59 AM »
The door said "J. Messenger" in fancy gold lettering.  Underneath that, in smaller letters, it said "Private Investigations."  The sign that had been hanging on the doorknob for the past four months said "Out to Lunch."  That really seemed to sum up Messenger, the owner of the agency.  Aside from occasionally collecting research and holding staff meetings, the most his employees had ever seen him do was build card houses. 

The office was surprisingly large, a whole floor of an office building.  The most clients ever saw was the reception desk (permanently unstaffed since Messenger's last secretary had walked out over the issue of her paycheck), and Messenger's own office which adjoined it.  He put up a good front- his desk looked expensive, he had leather seats, and it was always clean.  He had, at least, forgone the "executive" desk chair.  However, the real work happened behind the door behind the reception desk that said "private."  The main office was a chaotic mess, with several cubicles and desks, papers strewn everywhere, and no less than four coffee makers.  Somehow, Messenger was able to find his way around the disaster, even though he often said the files hadn't been organized since the new millenium.

He himself was a thin, easy going man, with a shock of black hair and pale gray eyes.  While he always wore a suit, the coat was almost always draped over the back of his chair, and he hadn't worn a tie in years.  Currently, he was perched on one of the desks in the main office, flipping through a stack of files in his hand.  He was waiting for his employees to arrive so he could get them briefed on their current assignment.  He'd posted a note on the bulletin board about a staff meeting at 9 am, which was theoretically when they started work.  However, the private investigation business seldom kept regular hours, and he himself was incapable of being anywhere on time, so he wasn't expecting punctuality.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Re: Powers That Be: Messenger Service
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 08:36:44 PM »
Jader rushed in the door, balancing a pair of coffee cups on a stack of books from his night class.  "Boss, got you your coffee, though I might have to start forgoing the cheap stuff in favor of boiled mud if we don't get a decent job soon."  Looking around the office his eyes alighted on a decently empty surface, where he proceeded to perch and started into his classwork.  "Mean, hell boss, once I get my GED I can get me a night job so's I don't have to worry so much, but."  Looking around again he stopped, "Boss, I know you don't expect punctuality or nothing, but still.  Where's everyone else, it is quarter ta'ten.  I didn't miss the meeting did I?"
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 09:15:03 PM »
Michael stuck his foot in the door just before it closed, leaning into it and creaking it open.  He carried a half-eaten bagel in one hand with a large paper bag under his arm, and a thick portfolio in the other.  "Sorry breakfast's late," he said with a sheepish grin as he stepped into the office.  "Big day at the bagel place."  He maneuvered the bag onto a sturdy stack of papers and took another bite of his bagel.  "Mornin', Jader," he managed between chews.  The white of Mikey's Roman collar bulged while he swallowed.  His short-sleeved black shirt was slightly ruffled, hanging casually over worn-out jeans and black shoes.  Ever since his dispensation from diocesan work, he'd been dressing more casually.  After another gulp, he waved the portfolio briefly in the air.  "Got you those files you wanted, sir," he said to Messenger.  He glanced around the organized mess of the office.  "Where you want 'em?"

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 11:56:00 PM »
Messenger grinned at Jader as he came in, then pounced on the coffee he was offered.  "No worries, I actually landed us a job that should pay pretty good.  It'll be all right."  He shook his head at the question.  "No, you didn't miss it, it's just the last time I scheduled a meeting, I got hung up and didn't make it in until two hours later, so I suppose everyone's just giving me time to get here."  As Michael entered, Messenger waved.  "Hiya, Mikey."  He looked around the office, then shrugged and made a vague gesture.  "Just drop 'em on a pile, I'll get to them later."  He took the bag from Michael, and dug a bagel and some cream cheese out.  "They should be along shortly," he said affably, spreading the cream cheese on the bagel.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 11:19:20 PM »
"Well, father, we've got outselves a job, I won't have to revert to my former wickedness." Jader said, a grin playing at the corners of his mouth though anyone could tell he was trying his hardest to look serious.  "I'd just thought he scheduled this one to tell us he finally got a new secretary, like that meeting he called to tell us all the last one left.  Remember?"
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 11:30:39 PM by Pariah »
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Andimia

• The last person picked for kickball
  • Lord
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 12:16:36 PM »
Anatiel strolled in late as usual, well... later then everybody else. It's hard to be late when there's no real call for punctuality. She sauntered through the door fighting a mild headache. She gave Mikey a smile as she snagged a bagel.
"Morning guys." She checked her watch to make sure it was still morning and then looked around for a spot that wasn't too cluttered with papers. She was fighting the urge to light a cigarette.

If a woman can do it better, then by all means let her

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 01:07:36 PM »
Messenger just shook his head.  "I think I'm going to have to learn to live without a secretary; it's not that hard to answer the phone."  He greeted Anatiel, then got down to business.  "I'll go on and give you the run-down, someone can fill John in when he gets here."  He produced a map and some photos from the stack in his hand.  "In the last three weeks, four buildings have burned down under questionable circumstances.  Two were warehouses, one was a factory, and the fourth was a research center.  All but the last were in the industrial district, and all were owned by the Diadem Corporation.  Cops and fire department are pretty sure it was arson, but they can't get a handle on it.  No discernable accelerants, no incindiary devices or traces of such, nothing.  At first they treated it like an insurance scam, but one of the warehouses wasn't insured, and according to interviews with the manager of the research center, they lost more than the insurance was worth."  He passed the documentas around.  "My contact at the police department thought I might have input, and passed it on to me.  Officially, I've accepted the case on behalf of Diadem's insurance company, to determine if fraud is involved."  He paused.  "Personally, I think we're dealing with a pyro either acting on behalf of Diadem for insurance purposes, or otherwise with an ax to grind.  I'm still looking for information on the company, and I'll pass that on to you when I get it.  Any questions?"

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 09:08:08 PM »
John walked in, interrupting the long silence that arose when people started to read the handouts from Messenger. Well, walked might be a bit generous. Stumble would be better, because even though his brain was amazingly gifted (as shown by the unintelligible title of the book he was reading), he just simply couldn't develop the skill of reading and walking at the same time. As a result, just prior to his entrance, everyone in the meeting room could hear a thud from the other side of the wall. Regardless of the manner of his entrance, he was finally there. He stopped reading his book and glanced up, noting the room full of people, then checked his watch. Sure enough, more than an hour late.

"Crap. Sorry guys. Found a good book and got distracted. Did I miss anything important?"
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 09:22:16 PM »
Michael rolled his eyes playfully at John.  "Nah, just most of the meeting, John," he smirked.  He turned back to Messenger, chewing slightly on his lip.  "Where d'you think we should start?" he asked.  "I mean, the warehouses, obviously, but who or what should we be lookin' for?"

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 11:12:35 AM »
"The mob's got a good hold on the industrial district, warehouses and whatnot, so I'm not poking my head round there.  Not since I @!#$ed up that mule job of Johnny's.  The greaseball's decided he's got an ax to grind, so I'm not letting him use it.  But I'll hit up the 'banger's on the outside, see if any of them know anything about this."  Looking across to Messenger, "At least, if you want me too boss."

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 06:33:36 PM »
Messenger considered for a moment.  "You might talk to some of the employees, see if they know anyone who's got a grudge.  Padre, you might want to be in on that.  The clerk who got knocked out should be back at work.  Jader, sure, if you think it'll help, talk to any one who might know anything, but don't do anything that'll get you killed.  Once we have some possibles, we can start focusing on them."  He finished his coffee.  "Be careful.  I don't think our friend is done yet."

Offline Andimia

• Lord
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 10:50:35 PM »
Anatiel quietly considered the documents flipping through the photographs with her brows knitted in concentration, but mostly in an attempt to think beyond the pounding of her head. "I'd like to see these crime scenes if possible." she finally piped up. She was intrigued by the fact that there may be somebody out there with powers similar to her own or somebody who was really handy with the gasoline.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 09:29:38 AM »
"Sure boss, stay alive.  Done that pretty good so far, and I've been shot one too many times already, so I'll stay outta any trouble."  Jader looked over to Michael, a smirk on his face, "You want a ride, father?  I'm heading in that direction anyways."

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 01:10:46 PM »
John stood behind Anatiel, looking over her shoulder at the papers she held. "Crime scene, eh? You'll need someone to watch your back, in case someone happens to want to off our resident pyro. Or worse, set you up to take the fall." He sighed and shook his head at the thought. That was the last thing they needed.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 05:38:03 PM »
Michael nodded.  "Sounds like a plan," he said, rising from his seat.  "I'll get what I can from the workers.  If anyone saw or heard anything, I'll find it out."  He nodded to Jader.  "Let's roll."

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Offline Andimia

• Lord
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 08:30:24 PM »
She nodded at John's words. The possibility of this getting pinned on her if anybody else knew what she could do. It made her itch for some Vitamin N and she reached compulsively for the pocket with her smokes.
"Yeah, we should get movin' on this." and she got up from her spot chewing the last bit of bagel.