llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Gathering Storm (WWII)  (Read 5058 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor Golden Creator
    • Awards
The Gathering Storm (WWII)
« on: January 17, 2008, 06:44:25 PM »
"Once again defence of the rights of a weak state, outraged and invaded by unprovoked aggression, forced us to draw the sword. Once again we must fight for life and honour against all the might and fury of the valiant, diciplined and ruthless German race. Once again! So be it."

-Winston Churchill

WWII Campaign
Good ol' blood 'n guts RP in the greatest war that ever was.

Wanted:
2-4 Players to start
PCs will be part of a special team of some sort, perhaps Dirty Dozen, perhaps Mission Impossible.  It depends on you! For the Allies, BTW.

Mechanics:

Scratchbuilt Minimalist borrowing heavily from Rolemaster. 

Core mechanic is for the GM to judge the action based on the situation, apply modifiers from stats and skills, and assign odds.  Phrases indicating odds will be like "If you are lucky..", I will not give % success if I can help it. There is always a chance for failure and success (though the nature of the success might not be apparent at first).  I will not trap you by giving false hope - if I say such things as possible but unlikely, think long and hard about what happens if you are unsuccessful. 

Everything is loose and secondary to the story in all cases.

Character Creation
Background is king.  Your background will decide most of your character's attributes. If you would like, coach your character sheet in the form of a resume.
Please do not detail past 1938 as the exact start time is still TBA.

I'd like details on why your character is joining the special unit - or why someone would recommend them.  Your characters are exceptional and will deserve to join, but please detail the reason.  Also, note their personality and other interesting details so that I can use them against you, er enhance the roleplaying experience..

1. Nationality/Ethnicity:
Any can be arranged, even Axis nations, though this will color reaction to your character and need a well crafted background.

2. Age & Gender

As selected. Age will affect the level of expertise and physical stats, so extremes should be avoided.  Minimum age is 16, though there would need to be some serious negotiation to get this to work.  In general, female characters are going to need an interesting background to get this to work. Most militarys did not accept women for combat roles in WWII.

3.    Attributes: 
You have 5 points to distribute among these scores to differentiate your characters from others of your archtype.  Stats without modification do not need to be listed on your sheet.
There is a limit of 5 points assigned to one stat (which would make your character world-class in that attribute!). Yes I know there are 10 stats. Choose wisely!

Attributes:

IQ
Memory
Charisma
Willpower
Observation

Strength
Constitution
Physical Coordination
Manual Dexterity
Speed

Negative modifiers are possible, but need to be cleared with the GM. 
Additional Stat types may be allowed with discussion with GM.

4. Archtype & Education
Archtypes are short definitions of your character and relate to your primary profession peace-time. It can be any career consistent with the 1930's.
Soldier, Farmer, Merchant-marine, Scientist, Factory Worker, etc.  This will be the prime driver of your non-combat skills.   Indicate what level of education your character has completed. Needs to jive with the rest of your background.  Officers, unless of WWI origin, need to have a college education.

5. Military Branch:
All PCs may select a military branch to have joined, before becoming part of the special team. Navy, Armored, Artillery, Infantry, MP, Pilot,etc.  PCs will be assumed to be expert in their chosen field, and have a rank of Sargent or equivalent.  Officers will need to take a demotion to join.

Upon entry, PCs receive additional training to bring them up to 'expert' in infantry, or if already infantry, to 'Elite'.
PC's may also select a Specialty in their Infantry training:

Demolitions
Grenadier
Medic
Sapper
Sniper
Other (subject to approval)

PCs are going to be defined largely by their background. 

6. Specialized Skills:
In addition to the skills automatic within one's archtype, military branch and specialty, PCs may choose up to 5 additional skills that they know, the fewer selected, the better they are in these. Languages, apart from one's native language, will count against these.  These skills should be ones which diverge from their archtype and training. 

7. Cross Training

After joining up, PCs will be given the opportunity to Cross Train in another field to help round out the team's skills.

8. Equipment:
PCs are going to travel light and generally will be properly equipped for their mission. You may select a small number of personal items of equipment which might diverge from the norm.

All PCs are going to be part of a special forces type unit, which will need a mix of combat and non-combat skills. 

Eg:
Cecil O'kane, Canadian Army Rifleman, Former Fishplant worker
He is a sturdy man(+1 Strength,+2 Constitution) very deft with a fishknife, or a bayonet (+2 Manual Dexterity).  He has retrained as a Grenadier and is an excellent boat pilot and is fluent in both English and French. Having a strong Irish background, he has pale freckly skin and very red hair.

9. Fate/Luck points:
Due to the lethality of both the scenario and the combat system, Fate points will be used.  I am still working on how these will function, but they cannot be used without some cost which will hurt the group as whole. Not kill them, but significantly add to the current challenge.  Luck points will be a finite, unknown quantity, but additional ones can be obtained through gallentry

10. Advancement:
PCs may have opportunity for additional training which will be taken into account during Action Success determination on the part of the GM.  Feel free to note any added training above starting levels. In addition, promotions in rank and responsibilities will be occurring in response to success.

11. Player Death:Will try and avoid 'useless' deaths, however new characters can be brought in at the same advanced level as the remainder of the party.
  Note: This document will tighten up as time goes by.

12. How do we start? 
WWII was a worldwide event, with millions of stories told.  Where and when we start will depend upon the submitted backgrounds of the PCs, but what will be common is the PCs will be part of an elite group - possibly front line, possibly a OSS type group.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 01:23:52 PM by valadaar »

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering Storm (WWII)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 06:52:57 PM »
I'm in.

Will contemplate charrie for a few days. I'm thinking russian spetsnaz or german defector.
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 06:54:36 PM »

You enjoy the difficult path I see.... :P

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 07:01:11 PM »
Wouldnt have it any other way  :up:
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 09:35:40 PM »
I'm definitely in...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
~Henry L Mencken

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 02:40:20 AM »
Ditto! I am in.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 11:18:59 AM »
Awesome! We can get started as soon as I get all of your PC backgrounds.  It will be relatively easy to add more players as time goes on.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 02:26:41 PM »
We still have room for at least 1 more!!!

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 06:36:32 PM »
Okay, actually we have room for lots more.  If anyone has any questions that might increase your interest, please let me know.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 08:02:16 PM »
I think I'm in...  Give me a couple days to figure it out for sure.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 06:36:56 PM »
Well, things are rather quiet since I've only one PC so far.  So this game is on hiatus until I get four active players :(

Give me four active players and I'll be d**nned if I won't post a major post at least once per week!

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline mrcelophane

• Journeyman
  • And never know I'm there....
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 12:38:58 PM »
Calls Sniper!

Name to be determined

Enjoys dealing death and tries to make each shot a game.  Can laugh in the most serious of situations and is always a wise ass.
--------------------------------------------------------
2 Steps to Success
1. Never give away all of your secrets

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 02:04:28 PM »
Well, we already have/had (The wanderer hasn't posted in a long while) a sniper. We are also short of the 4 confirmed players it would take to make a go of this.

We shall see. Interest in this one has not been earthshattering.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline mrcelophane

• Journeyman
  • And never know I'm there....
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 02:07:55 PM »
Oh I didn't see where he called Sniper...actually I still don't see it.  *Shrugs*  I'll think of something else.
2 Steps to Success
1. Never give away all of your secrets