llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Shout out to Burning Wheel  (Read 1112 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Shout out to Burning Wheel
« on: January 11, 2008, 12:20:04 PM »
It is time to shake off those Fantasy D20 blues.

I liked this game when I first saw it. I loved the game after reading it. I adored it when I read the Monster Burner.  I now am a dedicated advocate after reading Blossoms are Falling (Japanese Fantasy) and Buring Empire (Science Fiction gaming) .

The Burning Wheel is an award winning fantasy roleplaying game in which players take on the roles of vibrant, dynamic characters whose very beliefs drive the story forward.

Starting with a simple d6 die pool mechanic, this game intuitively builds on its core concepts, evoking a pitch and tenor in play uncommon in roleplaying games. The two initial books detail a solid, dramatic systems for task resolution, duals of wit, circles of contacts, trials of belief, tests of nerve, searing social conflict, dangerous sorcery, miraculous faith, focused martial combat, and a development system based on what you do and how well you play it out. (The experience and Artha system makes the game in my book.) Behind the dice, player decisions drive the game's systems. In many cases they are part of world burning (building the world), but their inclusion in the world adds elements they are attached to.

Characters start in an appropriate milieu. From there, they choose various lifepath/ options to build up their character. These lifepaths determine what general skill options, gifts-traits, and other elements are openly available to the character.  They also determine the options as to which lifepath you can jump to next. Upon determining all the lifepaths used, you spend your earned skill points, trait points, and resource points (used to buy cool equipment, contacts, minions/ employees, circles of friends, reputations, and so on). 
Each lifepath adds years to the character's life. So you end up being a developed person with soem history, if you want to be solidly skilled and equipped.

*Note the math is simple quick and only addition and subtraction.

Skills' initial ratings are based on your statistics and improved from there. The skills rating deterines the number of D6 you roll to determine success (roll 4+). This mechanics is deceptively simple and easy to apply to just about any situation. In addition there are various manuvers/ options you can take in a resolution (from social conflict to martial conflict) to add to the flavor of the scene AND help you to better resolve it.  The mechanics are presented in an easy-to-read writing style, with plenty of insight and advice from the designer. It is one of the best written rpg ever. If you're not careful, Burning Wheel will change the way you play roleplaying games.

http://www.burningwheel.org/   Official Site

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?board=39.0  the Forge's forum. This game was created on The Forge.

http://www.burningwheel.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page  The Wiki. Iti s fairly new, but getting bigger.

As I said, the current options are General Fantasy, Fantasy Monster (how to build fantasy monsters with details equal to PCs), Science Fiction (Burning Empires), Japan (Blossoms are falling), and Middle Eastern (Burning Sands).   I would get the basic Burning Wheel books just to have.  Once you get a couple people to read it, you will be playing it.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Silithsel

• Apprentice
    • Fire Fight!
    • Awards
Re: Shout out to Burning Wheel
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 12:07:43 PM »
I agree! 

Burning Wheel is definitely a good game.  I think my favorite part is the character creation.  Following the lifepaths is great for really getting to know your character and helping to develop their background story. 

As far as the rules go, they are pretty simply once you get the hang of things.  We had a little trouble figuring out Range and Cover (the rules for ranged weapons) at first, but now I love it!  It really makes a good archer very deadly.
Fire Fight!  Live Action Airsoft Games!
http://firefight.ning.com/