llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: How many different gamers have you gamed with?  (Read 2736 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
How many different gamers have you gamed with?
« on: January 07, 2008, 12:41:35 AM »
I was just chatting about this topic in our chat area the other day and again at a another chat window an hour ago and then there was a post on www.rpg.net.

How many people did you game with, counting one-shots and con games, but not counting online gaming and larps? Conditions are purely for clarity, feel free to give us your larping and online numbers, too.
(Original thread  http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=372583  )

Now most of you won't have 30+ years of gaming and worked in field professionally. So your numbers will probably be different. That is a good thing. Post them up for all the world to see.

So here is my list  

12  PreHS   The Dungeon.
42  HighSchool   I was The GM everyone wanted to play with
12  Jr College set 1  
16  Thursday Champions  Over six years
 8   Planet 10  (Champions in new ways)
28  Jr college set II (subtracting the carry overs from Jr Set  and playtesting sets)
18  Champions - apartment
  8  Amber in Albany w/ Lisa
12  Misc Gamers at Apartment
+8  More Champions continued
+8  Changeling
  9  Sacramento set
  5  Playtest Crew 1
+3  Playtest Crew 2
+4  Playtest Crew 3

Stalking the Night Fantastic Campaign  since  1984
Twice A Year at gaming conventions, 2-8 game sessions each convention. This includes my 32 player run.  
42 Core Members
+roughly 320 walk ins
(This is not included the demo games I ran)  that would be +60 more

120 is a rough guess for the number of con gamers I have played with.  If I wasn't running a game, I was in a seminar. I seldom played at cons.

Add Larping  (80 +24+24)
Online Gamers (32)

Oh and you can do your Gygax number too
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=371956
My Scores
My Gygax Number is 4

My Perrin/Stafford # is 1

My Jackson # is 2

My Tucholka # is 1

My McDonald/ Petson/ Harlock is 2

My Long/ Allston # is 3

My Pondsmith # is 2/1

My Crane # is infinite. Darn it.

It is good to be an old time gamer sometimes.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 05:26:47 PM by MoonHunter »
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
    • Awards
Re: How many different gamers have you gamed with?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 08:10:22 PM »
I'm really not sure about the exact numbers.  I had about a couple-dozen friends I gamed with in school.  Add another half-dozen the first year of university.  Then another 20-30 or so later on.  That was a time when I could easily get a game started, but keeping a campaign going was like performing dentistry on myself.  The real numbers--and greater difficulty keeping track--are from my military days.  So many would come and go on short notice due to the vagaries of the army's needs.  Most soldiers who gamed didn't think that they would be able to in the military, and had no books or dice, & so would play whatever was available.  New players would join--even if only for a session or two--out of boredom (coupled with having already spent their beer money).  Steady campaigns were possible, but limited by who was on what exercise & when & for how long. 

Out of the army, I had another 11 in a very good Darkurthe campaign, one that lasted until the end of the world.  All eleven didn't play at once, but by this time I had become quite adept at keeping continuity with players changing.  That game was really two waves that seamlessly blended together.  Next there was a 3e game (my only one) of 6 people & a couple of Palladium games with 4 & 5 players (Fantasy & Rifts respectively, and I think there might have been the briefest of Nightspawn games as well).  Then there was Midian.

The alpha playtests were two groups of 3 & 5.  The beta tests involved a whole bunch of people--whomever I could get.  Some groups I ran, a few I was able to sit in on as an observer--one of which I told them someone else was the designer.  My notes from those sessions don't include numbers of participants, and I intentionally sought out people whom I didn't know, so I have no idea how many were involved. 

Since then, I've had a fairly stable core of players, even if the exact numbers slowly change over the years.  All told, the numbers easily add up to the triple-digit range. 

The largest number of players at one time in a table-top game I ran:  28.  That session didn't go well.  My max as a GM seems to be half that, as I have run sessions of up to 14 with difficulty, and without slighting any players. 

My Gygax number is 2, if my friend is to be believed.  He also met (but not gamed with) Kevin Siembieda, and of this he had photographic proof.  Some of that group were friends with a surprisingly large number of famous fantasy writers who were also--understandably--gamers.  I'm sure that gives me decent numbers in the other categories.  One of my former players was one of Dave Arneson's students--and I once did some data-mining for a company in the small Florida town where he lived at the time.  However, I did not meet Mr. Arneson, nor did my friend game with him.

As I am not an actor, I cannot technically have a Bacon score.  If I could, it would also be 2, from multiple sources.
Midian Dark Fantasy Roleplaying Game
The Official Game of the Internet
http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
http://Lost-Souls.hk.st

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Golden Creator Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 02:56:26 AM »
While I have the utmost respect for you gentlemen, and while I do realize that you probably agree, I nonetheless feel the urge to say the following:

In my experience games with more than 6 players are tedious, frustrating and boring for the players. The players get too little exposure and are left waiting and twiddling their thumbs.

Many GMs claim to be able to handle players in their tens and hundreds, but I fail to see the relevance of that. If you want to provide fun to your players, you keep the number of players down.

GMing isn't an exercise in keeping inventory.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 03:34:33 AM by Ancient Gamer »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »
You missed the point. No one said that all of these people were playing at one time. These were the number of people in the group. You start with a number of peoples. Some of them leave, some new ones join. Not everyone shows up every week (or month). Since it was a total number of people game with, it is people you started with plus anyone who joined.   

So post up your numbers. How many groups and how many people in each group.

And actually, you can quite easily keep your players in groups greater than six fairly engaged. There a couple of techniques to actually do it easily, unless you are a GMing control freak.

1) Designated NPC: Give the Player some instructions about what is going on, the purpose of the scene they are about to be in, and what they should, ideally be providing for the PC/ just a nudge about what to do, and they can play the scene out without you.  They can post-game the scene with you right after, at the end of the game, or via notebook/email/ etc.  They gain experience, that they can apply to any of their characters (some players just assign them to their designated NPC).
These technique allows you to provide a more engaging scene for the PC, allowing you the GM to work with other players and their scenes or set up other scenes with PCs and designated NPCs. This can streamline your game and provide "fun" for everyone.

1b) Assigned Monsters: Related to above, is this sub category. Well there is often something that needs to be bashed, and unless your players are in a dungeon or artificially shoved together at all times, someone is not going to be there. They would be bored watching this combat. Assign them monsters, give them a little direction, and watch your PCs start to sweat, as the mooks now are "dangerous" as they have more tricks and tactics than you as a singple player/GM can provide.

1c) Auxillary GM: Have a rules lawyer, put him to work on your side of things. Have him run the rules while you work the story.  If your game has complicated rules for magic (Chivalry and Sorcerry), Combat, Trade (Traveller), or so on, having someone simply dedicated to running that aspect of the game can free you, the GM to running the campaign.

2) NPC Troupe: A player has NPCs that revolve around them. These are family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, girlfriends, bosses, the girls at the market that you always talk to, the two guys at the coffee shop that they always stop at, and so on. These NPCs provide versimiltude for the character and connect them to their game world. By assigning Players to various roles, the players can have the troupe of NPCs orbit around them. This frees up the GMs to do other things, provides fresh play for the supporting cast, and keeps people engaged into the world.

3) Acting for your fellow players: Get your players Your players are performing each other.  If you tie a bonus exp reward to it, you can get your players really into playing a scene to the hilt.  Thus players will often want to pay attention to see who gets the bonus eps that the players will vote on at the end of the game. (If you didn't pay attention to others there was no way they might vote for you.) Anything that gets your players involved with the game is a good thing.

4) Storytelling: This is your ability to engage people with your story telling prowess. The same skills that kept people enraptured around the campfire have a place in the modern Game Masters Arsenel. When I am prepped and warmed up, I can keep them engaged. This worked when I was running a bunch of kids back in the day when actually having a story was the "new" and "innovative" approach to gaming, and it works now.

5) Good GMing techniques. Well I got dozens of them. Running Tactical Scenes at Lightning Speeds with Many Players is one set I used. They are things I had to develop because I did run somewhere between five to ten players at a given time.

No matter how you are doing it, keeping the players engaged and enjoying the game, is the game master job one.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 07:27:16 PM »
Much of this depends on the players.  I have had large sessions where the players were mostly interested in interacting with one another, and I was hardly needed at all.  Then again, I have had sessions with two players where one person wants to dominate the time, and I have had to work hard to keep either from feeling slighted--one from lack of 'screen time' and the other who saw my attempts to bring in the other player & keep her from being bored as an interruption. 
Midian Dark Fantasy Roleplaying Game
The Official Game of the Internet
http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
http://Lost-Souls.hk.st

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 02:42:42 PM »
Now, bringing back to our regularly scheduled thread:

I was just chatting about this topic in our chat area the other day and again at a another chat window an hour ago and then there was a post on www.rpg.net.

How many people did you game with, counting one-shots and con games, but not counting online gaming and larps? Conditions are purely for clarity, feel free to give us your larping and online numbers, too.
(Original thread  http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=372583  )
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
  • "No power in the 'Verse"
  • Awards Item Guild 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 10:07:40 AM »
I've had my fair share of people i've gamed with, i mostly GM, although on the odd occassion, i will play, and save myself the hassle.

I think the most people i've ahd in one campaign that i have runwas about 18 people and it was difficult to keep track of what everyone was doing so now i will rarely go over 8.

Anyway, does it really matter how many people you've had in one game, it's what they say and what you twist it into that counts.

Kassandra Quilldancer
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 2 | DEX: 3| CHA: 2 | INT: 2