llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: [Starkin] OOC Stuff  (Read 19227 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Master Questor Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
[Starkin] OOC Stuff
« on: January 07, 2008, 12:02:20 AM »
It begins!

PCs, you may declare where you are in Sabrontir at this time - Options are basically anywhere in the inner system or on the elevator.

System Map:

Sun - Gas Giant 1 ----- Asteroid Belt 1 - Asteroid Belt / Gas cloud 2 ---------------Sabrontir II & Elevator ----|Far|- GG 2 ----|Far|----GG3--|Far|-Outer Detrius

Valid Points include the belts, the foundries at Sabrontir,  the inner giant (scouting), the elevator - Which includes a cantina, several dining places, a 'mall', and residential quarters at this time, in addition to the construction zones and administration areas (Some of which are locked off to general access.)

Reputedly, there is a pirate cove at GG2. PCs who wish to be peaceful with that faction may choose to start there as well.

Questions as needed, and if you want a given description of an area (AKA, not in your ship), ask, and I'll give you the gist, or you may let me know where you want to be, and I can set a scene there for you.

If you have not yet caught up to me and discussed your ship, assume that you are in what is essentially a light civilian craft - Your ships are capable of defending themselves, and even going on the attack, but they are not dedicated military craft. They are a privateer's ship.

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Master Questor Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
Re: [Starkin] OOC Stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 10:10:05 PM »
Communication and Ship AI.

Because of advances in particulate science, it is possible to send a much-faster-than-light message. What this means is that radio lag over the radio across a star system is seconds, rather than hours. Interstellar communication takes tight-beam routers and several hours at best, and may require routing around interposing obstacles, such as nebulae. Your ships have the FTL equivalent of CBs. And yes, FM radios, though they don't bother to broadcast that on FTL.

Ship AIs are just complex enough to run the routine operations of ship on their own, accept your vocal input, and plot 'safe' navigational courses. They may have voice output, but are not capable of actually carrying on an intelligent conversation, though some bored pilots put a modified ELSA or Racter on their ship. This is never good for anyone.

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 04:19:55 PM »
I do believe this is shaping up to be an amazingly nifty game. I wait with bated breath.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 2011 Sub of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 09:50:19 PM »
I wonder, Siren, how big does a ship have to be to take a Yau-Calabi drive (I know none of us have any) but in term of the different sizes in the game. What would be 'big', 'medium', and 'small' freighters in term of size?
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."-Philip K. Dick

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 10:58:16 PM »
Physically, any ship can, technically, mount a Yau-Calabi drive. They merely -mass- about twice as much as most fighter designs, which are about on scale with a modern fighter, just a bit more three dimensional to mount all the reaction mass they need. A fighter which mounts a Y-C drive will see its ability to accelerate and maneuver plummet, a minimum of three-fold. Probably more, because of the reaction engine redesign requirements.

If your ship is big enough to be made to haul stuff, then it /should/ be designed to mount a hyperspace drive. There is no (game) mechanical reason, to start without one. There's not that much money in the short haul business.

This is chosen for a game mechanic reason.

A 'light' freighter is enough to carry 2-4 isotainers. A 'Medium' carries a small to significant amount more. A 'Heavy' might be measured in cubic kilometers.

Offline Chaosmark

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 11:43:44 PM »
Minor technical question: is there a known limit for how much mass a single Yau-Calabi drive can move at one time?

By the power of Bayes!

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 09:05:33 AM »
Not exactly. A given engine produces a given -volume- of hyperspace. Bubbles can merge in flight, but a ship is otherwise incommunicado in hyperspace. Very, very large ships may have multiple engines. (Starseeders, Dreadnoughts, and their ilk.)

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 11:15:21 AM »
Echo, you are far enough out to detect the radio signal the larger ship is putting out, about four hours after you jettison and drift. You are about a day's travel from the elevator, and about 8 hours out from the transmitting ship. It is a repeating signal, but matches no known encoding, save a vague similarity to morse code, and your ships computers are spitting out '-,.' as a translation from morse.

Offline Chaosmark

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 12:16:37 AM »
Apparently we WILL have a 'You all meet in a bar' moment. Or at least, a significant number of us.

By the power of Bayes!

Offline Kassil

• Phantasm of the Millenium
  • Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 05:30:28 AM »
*mugs CM and makes him serve as a targetinc omputer for the BFRT*
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline Chaosmark

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 12:33:24 AM »
Salvage, salvage, salvage!

Seriously. If we can commandeer that ship, and at least partially repair it, we would have one heck of a base to use. I'm almost certain it'll have a FTL drive too, so if we can  figure out a way to latch our ships onto it (or get them into it), we'll be set.

Comments from the rest of the cast?

By the power of Bayes!

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 03:19:27 AM »
Err.

All of us who have freighters should have Y-C drives, I believe. I'm pretty sure *I* do, at the least.

Salvaging, however, seems like a good idea, provided there's nothing that want to kill us all aboard it.

First, though, we actually need to end up together and agreeable about it.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 04:56:20 AM »
Yo for salvage! Me agrees!

(besides, thats a great starting point, and everybody will be strongly bonded over this communal item. I wholeheartedly agree to your idea CM)
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."-Philip K. Dick

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 11:35:44 AM »
Oh, and the killing part is just more fun!

But yeah, lets put first things first.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 11:42:22 AM by dark_dragon »

Offline Chaosmark

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 12:10:31 PM »
Y-C drives aside (my freighter doesn't have one, for RP reasons), just having the ship as a base of operations would be nice.

Siren: are there any applicable salvage laws that we need to know about?

By the power of Bayes!

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 09:30:37 PM »
Requisite
Y-C drives aside (my freighter doesn't have one, for RP reasons), just having the ship as a base of operations would be nice.

Siren: are there any applicable salvage laws that we need to know about?

As a general class: Starship salvage of an obvious derelict requires that the appropriate black-box information be submitted to the government. Legally, the proper owners have 30 days to stake a claim to their material, after which it is presumed abandoned. Alien technology, which is rare, but known, is of murkier legal status, but generally boils down to the old maxim of possession being nine-tenths of the law.

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
I'm sure that more often than the government bodies would like to admit, salvage claims amount to "Ship? What ship? We didn't see any derelict ships. But since you're here, would you like to buy some of this high-grade metal we found in the asteroid belt?"
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline Chaosmark

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 11:43:54 PM »
So our first task is finding the ship's computer and finding out why the heck this thing is just floating here, eh? Let's get to work people!

By the power of Bayes!

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 09:19:06 AM »
It's in your hands, folks, Make teh party~!

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Golden Creator Master Questor Elite Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 12:57:42 PM »
Um. The thing isn't moving.
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 04:57:35 PM »
Hey Echo, sorry for that. RL is real busy.

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 05:19:34 PM »
Can we refer to _Which oraki please :)

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Chaosmark

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »
Indeed. I figured it wasn't me, but I wasn't entirely sure.

By the power of Bayes!

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 03:51:30 AM »
Can we refer to _Which oraki please :)

My bad...

duly noted. :up:

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 09:07:19 AM »
Paging other PCs - please post :)

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®