llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: [Starkin] The Edge of Civilization - Chapter 01  (Read 37080 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Online valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor
    • Awards
Re: [Starkin] The Edge of Civilization - Chapter 01
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2010, 07:28:36 PM »
Using maneuvering thrusters, Kestral carefully moves his fighter in close, using it to cover Erik as he worked. Also, he would be nice and close if Erik needed something.

Kestral marveled at the magnitude of the find.  This was something truly special - one did not find new races - or the remains thereof - everyday.

Which means, they would need to be vigilant to hold this trophy.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
  • Awards 2011 Sub of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2010, 01:39:23 PM »
<ooc> @Erik: Thanks, but I must refuse your kind offer. Old Ben remains weaponless.

Alice sat comfortably in his command position with the air of a man quietly enjoying his porch-side rocking chair. Instead of slowly leafing through an old book, however, his hands were busily controlling the myriad of data streams coming in from the ad-hoc fleet, and instead of being lit by a beautiful summer day, his face was lit by the wall of bruised monitors that made the bridge's command centre. On three of them, the feeds from the drones. on the others, a wealth of diagnostic information from every sensor available. In one corner, a three dimensional map of the derelict ship was slowly being built by Maia using the drone's sensory inputs. The drones shone as bright red dots against an expanding shell of faint green.

"A colony ship. My... What a find. I do wonder about the original occupants." Alice mused to himself.

Turning to the comm channel, he continued: "Erik, I concur. I'll be sending my loader drone to grab one of those crates. May I suggest that it be brought in my cargo hold? If it turns out to be something interesting, I'm afraid most of us would find the Karloff a bit on the warm side."

"I suggest that we instruct the drones to automatically map the entirety of this ship." Patching the datastream of the slowly growing map to his companions, Alice added: "Here's the map of what we know so far. I'll keep it up to date as we go along."

"Dana, if you want, I have a few diagnostic machines onboard, so we could run a check on the snow. If it is just the ship's atmosphere frozen from the decompression, it could tell us a lot about the intended occupants. Just get the drone to attach a sample onto the loader. I'll run the tests as soon as it gets here. Would you get the drone to cut out a piece of hull if you could too? I'm wondering how old this derelict is. Perhaps you could also see about killing that emergency signal. Wouldn't want wake the neighbours now, would we?"

"Kestral, I like your idea bout thermal scanning the shadow side. I'll place my ship in position while you cover Erik, and I'll send everyone a copy of the scans overlaid on the map we're building."

"Erik, I don't think we need atmosphere or hull integrity to move this along. I suggest we find a way to nudge it into a radical elliptical orbit, so that if anybody has triangulated the signal, they'll be homing in on a piece of empty space. Once I've done the thermal scan, I'll position Old Ben to act as a tug, and I'll begin the shift. Old Ben ain't fast, but what she lacks in speed she more than makes up in force."

"Kestral, once the signal is down, do you think that you could plot a firing solution to knock out the transmission scambler? It'll make as much noise as the original if we don't. Unless, Dana, you object and would like to have it decommissioned in a quieter manner?"

Now, putting just enough doubt in his voice to constitute a friendly challenge to the space born salvorathan Alice said: "So, Erik, do you feel up to trying to get the backup systems online?"

[edit]: removed reference to fictitious buoy...
<ooc>
1) Begin computation of orbit shift and appropriate thrust to accomplish.
2) Sending loader drone to get the largest crate it can. ((The fab machines) and then back for a collection of random packages, both from the refrigerated section and the cargo hold.  The refrigerated crate is kept outside Old Ben so that the temperature doesn't rise.
3) Getting Maia to run an extensive search through whatever database I have onboard in order to recognise the script.
4) Warm up the diagnostic machines (including the medical bot.) ready to receive any samples.
5) Is the hull of the derelict causing any problems with radio comms?
6) positioning Old Ben to carry out a thermal scan followed by orbit shift operation, but awaiting confrmation from the rest of our merry crew.
</ooc>
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 05:57:03 AM by dark_dragon »
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."-Philip K. Dick

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Master Questor NPC Guild Elite Questor Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: February 05, 2010, 10:39:04 AM »
"Can do, Alice!"
She picked up the laser torch and cut off a piece of the hull on the edge of the the gash, then steered a drone to scoop up the dust and seal it in a test tube. Then, she let it merrily scurry off to join its brethren in their search.

Strolling along in her magnetic boots, she approached the source of the distress signal, flaring brightly on the feed to her retinae. A few choice cuts with the welder to vital systems of the comm array would silence it well enough.
As she unmounted the panels and proceeded to lay waste to them, it recalled vivid images from the war...

The Barag fleet had razed Ecthonis, opening an avenue of attack towards Venria, the hulking dreadnoughts seemingly unstoppable and reckless under their six feet of ceramo-titanium plating. Through hatches in their gleaming hulls, their weapons protruded, baleful like the claws of a vicious beast. Self-confident, the behemoths lumbered towards the system's jump point amidst the wreckage that once was the defenders, factories and habitats.
Unnoticed, tiny vessels flitted by, less suspicious than space debris, a few individuals descending towards the colossal battleships beyond.
As one, they dispatched the comm systems while others snuck into the service shafts, towards the bridge.
The ship gave no cry, no warning as its bay doors and airlocks opened in unison, spewing their panicked crews into the blackness of space...

"There, the thrush should trill no more!" Danasheth sang merrily into the comm.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 10:46:13 AM by EchoMirage »
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Online valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2010, 10:49:07 AM »
While Danasheth took care of the original transmitter, Kestral maneuvered to line up with the jammer.  Checking his suit, he depressurized his cockpit and opened it to space.

His railguns could do the job, but would punch deep into the salvage as well. 
He then drew one of his close combat shotguns and took a bead on the jammer, waiting for the final word to silence the device. 

"Can't we just turn it off?"

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2010, 01:42:48 PM »
Alice laughed good-naturedly to himself before replying: "Why, indeed, a far more rational proposition than to boldly blast it!"

"It seems that eagerness and haste are the foes of elegant efficacy. Friends, Forgive my destructive zeal!"
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."-Philip K. Dick

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Master Questor NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2010, 08:55:07 PM »
Calculations are the easiest thing to accomplish - Though the radical ellipse attainable is only so much. The ship vastly outmasses both the Karloff and the Old Ben together - The inward orbit attainable will be near cometary, starting from this far out.

It is a simple matter to disable the jammer, but to silence the communications array proves more difficult. Severing the power and data lines is not sufficient. In the end, the circuit boards within must be smashed, the system doubly redundant to whatever controls lie within.  But it is done, and there is true radio silence once more, free of the snow of the jammer. But it is a thing done, and Danasheth can only smirk with satisfaction as it is finished.

It is a more difficult task yet to sample the snow upon the wall, for it evaporates at the slightest hint of heat. The probe must glide without thrust, its sampler extended to maximum to capture even a few flakes, but once it has, and returned the sample to the ship, it is a relatively simple run to determine its composition: It is a N2-CO2 blend,  with a sparing amount of oxygen and water - The Oxygen / CO2 ratio is, in fact, almost precisely the inverse of that which the Old Ben or Karloff carries in their own tanks.

Thermal scanning is cold throughout the ship, or at least in the places that can be seen with it. She's been in deep space for a very long time, and only the barest tenths of a degree sunward indicate her orientation relative to the sun as having been comparatively static.

As the probes trace through the living quarters, it is easy to notice that they are sterile - While long exposure to the void may have cast aside anything that was not tied down, the rooms that you can see show no signs at all of having ever been occupied, but it is still possible to make certain guesses about the creatures who might have lived there. Roughly the size of a small, single family dwelling for men, though with a lower ceiling, at right around 1.8m, a creature about the size of Danasheth to Erik would find it a comfortable, if slightly cramped dwelling. Each of the rooms is apparently mono-directional, the built in furniture showing an aesthetic preference for the hexagon. Oven hot plates, pipes, counters, all utilize the 120 degree angle where feasible. Those counters would be uncomfortably low for a human to use, built at a bit beneath waist-high on a man, though it would be mid-torso for Erik. The doors, too, utilize that same hexagonal shape, a cluster of six silvery pads on either side of the center division likely serving as the pad to command the door to open, though a groove runs parallel to that center division as well, potentially for opening the door in a situation where the electronics have failed. Drawers and cabinets share the same grooved handle, though these is recessed to allow an appendage to pull. While any electrics or piping is recessed into the wall, any lighting is as well, leaving some wonder about how they expect to see.

It is impossible to get a sense of deep within the ship without entering it - your probes are unable to work the doors, not having the thrust to open by the grooves, nor the ability to trigger the mechanism.

Most of the crating, meanwhile, is of comparatively simple design - The fabrication unit snagged by Alice, for example, is little but a white polymer box over a square pallet, with assorted, unrecognizable symbols upon them. That white is bright, even painful to look upon at close ranges for him, as he squints at the packaged device. The other boxes are made of the same smooth polymer, with the same brilliant white color, though they come in an assortment of sizes and scripts upon them. Starting with the largest, it proves relatively simple to decrate, requiring little more than a twist of a handful of fasteners, fit close enough with a 11mm hex wrench. The bright white plastic drifts away from the machine inside, a garishly decorated device consisting of a pair of spray nozzles of some sort, connected to a complex spindle to give it three axis of motion over a work table. Its control system is made out in two large hexagons, each of the smaller hexagonal keys labeled in that odd script. Two large ports are cut into the bottom rear of the machine, away from the entry to the work area, possibly feeds for the machine's supplies, while a third is on a panel on the bottom rear across from the control segment. Industrial type electronics are visible through the hole, when it is peered through with a flashlight.

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Master Questor NPC Guild Elite Questor Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: February 09, 2010, 01:52:52 AM »
"Atmosphere, awesome. Also, alien. Considering the composition - copious C02 - could the crew consist of Ceres' children? Verdant vital viridian, venturing through the void?"

She strolled over to the gash again, and leaned over its edge. "Dear, I will have to dare the depths of this derelict." She hesitated. "Anyone with me?"
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2010, 06:20:40 PM »
"Friend Dana, I posit that an old fool like me would be a liability should things go wrong. Thus, I lend to you my metal minion. Through his eyes shall I be with you. Somewhat sorry surrogate, perhaps, but more capable guardian than I. Old Ben and myself shall meanwhile push this derelict on curves concealed. " Now addressing Kestral and Erik in particular, Alice added: "If we all agree that leaving this surprising gift from the void on a predictable vector is the best way to get interrupted, of course."

"Those big crates seem to be full of fab machines. We could try to get them working once we have some quiet time. "

"As for the little green men, Dana, let us hope that they long crossed the flowing Styx, for I do not believe that anguishing ages aimlessly ambling through the silent void is conducive to an affable demeanour. Indeed, Beware. Sulfurous Tertius himself breathed out suffocating fixed air, and this vessel bears testament to Mars' malice and not Ceres' careful custody."

"Oh, should we open all the accessible doors if possible. While you meander your way into this ship, I'll direct the dependent drones to explore the rest."

<ooc> So, are we moving this thing into a different orbit? In the meantime, I'm sending the loader drone back to accompany Dana on her trip into the ship.

Online valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2010, 07:04:59 AM »
Kestral simply nodded.  He had put thought towards the same matter, but wondered how old ben could shift this hulk without blowing a gasket.  He'd leave that worry to Alice.

"I'm with you as well Dana. Another metal minion into the breach." Kestral smiled wryly within his suit. 
A quick check of his weapons to make sure low-penetration munitions were selected and he was off.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2010, 02:12:34 AM »
"If I had the dubious luck of being a Tungsten-Trousered Troubadour of Trillaxa, this would be sufficiently metal pour moi" Danasheth smiled; then, she crawled into the wreck, somewhat akin to a spider, and began to work on the first door. The access panel or her wristcomp should do the trick - and if not, she always had a laser cutter. One of the drones waited almost impatiently right next to her feet, ready to scurry forth once the way was clear.

Offline Kassil

• Phantasm of the Millenium
  • Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #135 on: February 18, 2010, 06:16:37 AM »
Erik, for his part, struggled into the unfamiliar confines of the EVA suit he had dug up and pressure-checked before rejoining the chatter of communication. "If there's an environment my kind are meant to explore, a derelict like this is it." The Salvorathan's grin is a vivid slash against his dark face; despite the other parts of the suit being fitted, he tucks the collapsible helmet into a storage loop. "If y'don't mind, I'll be keepin' my helmet off unless I need it for some reason. Too claustrophobic for me, 'm afraid." With that, he preps himself for the void, and fits a rebreather and small oxygen tank over his mouth. The mastoid implant will let him keep in communication, even in the void of space, and the main suit should protect him well enough from hazards.

His preparations complete, and Boris set to keep him in contact as well as monitoring the local area of space, he cycles himself out the airlock and aims himself at the hull of the immense derelict, near to the alliterative one. On the way, he takes the time to slowly rotate through the three dimensions, taking in the sight of his surroundings before landing with a very gentle motion, absorbing the impact almost perfectly - while the suit itself had magnetic clamps, few Salvorathans ever bothered to use them, and Erik hardly differs from his kinsmen in this respect.

He signals to the others, preferring not to use the implant just yet, offering to lead the way in - while Kestral was no doubt more durable, he would be the most deft in this place.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Master Questor NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2010, 08:01:53 PM »
As Dana attempts  first to enter through the alien access panel, and then through hacking with her wrist comp, she rapidly realizes that whatever computer systems once held sway here are completely inert. The power is gone, and there is no interface to interact with. The cutter, however, strategically applied, allows the door to open, at least once a heavy push inwards is given. And then, the freelancers, and the drone, are within.

The airlock itself is a simple affair, little more than another heavy door in a barren room with atmosphere grills, once more opening to the inside, though this one can be manually turned - Though the same access panels are there, it was apparently mechanically interlocked so that the inner door and outer door could not be opened simultaneously. Next, a room with several alien space suits - Short and slender in appearance, they are peculiar in their construction - From the split hands with fingers in two rows of three, to the neckless construction,  to what appear to be an odd, plastic suit lining as an innermost layer, the same polymer that the walls themselves have as an outer shell. No weapons or tools are stored here, however, and the lockers are covered in a striped pattern in mauve, with a few small sigils repeated on them, over and over.

Beyond lays the beginnings of the maze of corridors. The nearest doors open into wide rooms, largely full of various crate, again labled in that strange language, though here in a unique font of mauve and pale green. One, however, stands apart - Cabinets line its walls, while several tables with assorted instruments built into them stand inactive upon the floor. Old stains of a blueish-yellow substance tint the carpeted floor beneath the frozen atmosphere, dots and splashes of it, while an assortment of debris has accumulated in one corner, not immediately recognizable in their individual intent, save for a few hollow hexagonal bar solids that may have been glasses or tumblers. An apparent desk sits in one corner of the room, an electronic display and alien keyboard built in to it.

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2010, 05:53:21 PM »
<ooc>does this ship look like it had some sort of artificial gravity? </ooc>

As Dana opened the doors forcefully, Alice closed his eyes and laid back into his seat. Turning on the appropriate systems with the mere flick of a thought, he started firing off instructions to both maya and the remote loader drone. Soon after his companions had entered the silent space of the defunct ship, they were surprised as a very weak gravity seemed to return to the ship at a strange angle. Had they pressed their ears to the bulkheads, they would have heard the low groan of metal on metal as the Benjamin Franklin started pushing the much larger derelict into an eccentric orbit. In space, slow and steady wins the race, as even tiny forces would accumulate in the absence of drag. And if Old Ben was something, it was definitely slow and steady.

Alice then shifted his attention to the small drones Dana had build, and tasked them with exploring the interior of the ship on their own, while he, laid back on the bridge of his ship, took direct command of the loader drone.

By the party's side, the loader drone shifted, seemingly to dislodge a cramp somewhere. Its posture changed imperceptibly, and the lifeless machine took on a breath of life. Instead of being perfectly still, has it had been before, it was now full of small, meaningless movements. Alice had taken it over, feeding the perceptual data straight into his visual field, and his own thoughts into the machine's limbs.

"Sorry if I startled you! I've started moving this behemoth out of the way."

"Erik, If it's allright with you, I'll ask Boris to give me a hand, two ships would definitely be better than one."

"I apologise for sounding strange or different. I'm juggling a lot of things at the moment." Indeed, for it was not everyday that Alice had to coordinate two ships and three drones while inhabiting another creature's body.

<ooc>The weak gravity is barely noticeable. Things will slowly drift to a particular spot in the room instead of floating freely.</ooc>
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 05:58:49 PM by dark_dragon »

Online valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2010, 06:06:31 PM »
"I may have missed something earlier, but do we have gear for analyzing biological samples? 

I am wondering if the prior occupants may have been something odd - perhaps plantlike - I think that was what you were saying  Danasheth, if in a strange manner." , though Kestral smiled, since he was indeed odder then a plant, at  least from his companion's perspectives.

"If so, the odd lining could be a photosynthetic substance once power is applied, and so likely all of the surfaces here would glow." 

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2010, 12:57:48 PM »
"Well, I have something on-board. cut out a sample of that polymer and attach it to the loader drone. I'll take a closer look as soon as I can."

"I like your idea about the light emitting polymer, Kestral. Very feasible, and would explain why their suit is similarly lined. It would also handily explain the atmospheric composition."

"Should we press on and try for engineering, or do you wish to step through each area in detail?"

------
Meanwhile, on the bridge of Old Ben, Alice was firing up his comms console. The though had struck him that perhaps an unclaimed piece of salvage would be attractive to their rivals, while a registered vessel of this size would be a target only for the most temerarious of pirates.

So, With the help of Maia, Alice began to draft two different SAN (Ship Arrival Notice) directed at the Sarbontir Shipping authorities.

The first, filed electronically via the automatic registration service, told a mundane story, and wouldn't warrant a second look.

NAME: Lady Of The Woods
SHIP-ID: 938f:adb8:36fb:4fe9:de4e:a70:ef96
ORIGIN: Sedna, Cartomi system
DESTINATION: Sirotto Paradise III
OWNER: United Mines and Terraforming
REGISTERED-WITH: Lloyd's Register (Danilova Office)
INSURED-WITH: Equitas (Cartomi Office)
CLASS: Class IV self supporting freighter
TONNAGE: 250 000 000 000 Metric Tons
CARGO: Polyfab machines (On behalf of Cinitech, Inc.) and mining equipment
EIC (Entity in command): Captain Andrew Russel (Commander, Cartomi Defense force, Rtd.)
DEPENDENTS: 2 supported fighters, 2 supported small freighters.
COMMENTS: Stopping in sarbontir on way to Sirotto Paradise III on behalf of Cinitech, Inc. Main cargo of mining equipment to be sold on Sirotto Pardise III

The other, filed manually through a system-net memo, shouted Danger at any who listened.

Hey.

Memo to port auth from freighter "Puta de las Estrellas".

We be coming in the next couple of days. We'll need a class IV dock to unload various supplies. We're a quarter tera-Ton ship, so make sure you've got space.

Since I know you guys tend to be stiff-arsed about that kind of thing, here's some details.

Our transmitter ID's 3450:6eb8:e3a3:4f30:8a29:3fe0:7d34
We're registered out of Montiac IIV, and on a mission for the Montiac Foreign Commerce Guild. Self owned. (We're the LFC. The Landorff Freight Company) looking to carry out some free trade.

Don't wanna appear like scum, now, do we?

Captain Mason out.

[ooc]You can find more info on the various entities here. Siren, I hope this works ok. Let me know if you'd prefer me to change anything[/ooc]
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 03:24:55 PM by dark_dragon »

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: March 04, 2010, 02:37:52 AM »
A pistol drawn, Danasheth approached the ancient computer system, twisting left and right, on the lookout for danger, darting from cover to cover with long bounds. Most likely, it was dead, but she always could load it on the drone and send it back to Alice, who could feed it with power aplenty.

Through the opened airlock, her drones scampered to other rooms, drien by their programmed curiosity, mapping and scanning.

She checked for a power switch on the computer, and when it remained silent, she proceeded to unmount it and package it for transport.

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2010, 04:48:17 PM »
The computer itself, there in the vacuum, is simple enough to disassemble for removal, though in several places Danasheth must actually cut through the posts holding the modular system to the inner frame of the desk, the apparent design being that the entire desk should be considered the case. But, slide free it does, and the mass of the thing given sudden motion carries Danasheth nearly a meter from the desk, before she stabilizes herself.

Meanwhile, man and machine explore, the repetitiveness of the design soon becomes apparent. A few residential rooms, a larger structure, though these structures vary, from empty rooms with odd, modular furniture, similar to the first found, to rooms with bins and racks built in, with a table like structure near the the door, to rooms of repetitive . By the industrial machinery are small, cramped rooms with the odd desk computers, but the true finds are to the fore, and "up", well beyond the laser blast, and to the aft. To the aft, it would seem, would lie a single, enormous tank, with all decks opening out through doors onto ladderwork which allows the tank to be accessed. A few decks have corridors that continue beyond, as well. To the fore and up by the apparent ship design, lies a wall passable through only one door, guarded by a reduced version of the hexagonal key-pads.