llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Hunters  (Read 7315 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Hunters
« on: June 11, 2003, 03:29:33 AM »
There are many legends of great heroes battling the forces of darkness, usually in the form of one monster or another.  Knights vs. Dragons.  Priests vs. Demons.  Other things that involved a hero battling evil.  Well, the legends had to start somewhere.  These legends are part of a struggle as old as time itself, a war between the light and the dark waged in secret.

In the early mists of history, a group of people arose whose membership extended beyond nationality, religion, language, beliefs, and gender.  They called themselves the Hunters.  They took it upon themselves to fight evil in all of it's forms.  No one knew who would become a Hunter until their skills began manifesting, except for those rare few with certain gifts.  Hunters were always athletic, strong, and had incredible reflexes.  They also possessed the ability to recognize creatures of evil for what they were, no matter what form they took.  A subset of the Hunters were also gifted with Sight, and could predict things and locate other Hunters.  And Hunters always instinctively knew their own.  They were also gifted with nigh-immortality and a talent for magic.  
But they also had weaknesses, and immortality was not the same thing as invincibility.  The Hunters are more or less Fey creatures.  Cold iron will burn them, knowing their true name will grant power over them.  And the forces of evil always know them for what they are.  Even before the Hunters themselves do.  And, like any sort of protector, there are never nearly enough.
Hunters, once recognized, are loosely orgainzed into clans, based on talents and other things, but not necessarily blood relationships.  Clan Camdaelen is the clan of the strategists, and are usually descended from great military leaders.  Clan T'willyth is the warrior clan, and many famous knights are counted in the ranks.  Clan Dracis is the clan of the mages, those especially gifted at magic.  And the Seers are Clan Veritas.  Each clan is lead by a clan lord, who is usually the oldest and most experienced member of the clan.  Though it is rare, women can be clan lords as well.
There is another clan, but no one speaks of it, for the members are the Fallen, the Hunters who have sided with the very forces they were meant to fight.  They are accursed outcasts, and very dangerous.  The most feared of the Fallen is the Black Seeker, the only Seer to ever have turned to evil.
Since the age-old evils of a supernatural nature have always had human servants, the Hunters do their best to keep their existance secret.  Sometimes, their efforts are for naught, and the activities of a Hunter become common knowledge.  Some are feared and hated for this; some are revered as saints and heroes.  It also suits the purpose of evil beings for their own presence to remain secret.  So ordinarily, most people do not have any knowledge of either force, and dismiss stories of such as mere myth.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
The Hunters
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 01:18:47 PM »
Somewhat like the "Wild Hunt" of the Sidhe in Irish mythology.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Hunters
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2003, 02:18:03 PM »
Kay.  I didn't know that.  I don't know much about Irish mythology.  This is the result of a story I'm working on.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
The Hunters
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2003, 05:26:32 PM »
Spiffy.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild
    • Awards
Just being my encyclopedic self.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2003, 04:46:23 AM »
Shidhe are what Tolkein ripped off to make Elves as most people know them (and did an mis-mashed job).  They are everything humans want to be and more so.  Shidhe are the high fey of the celtic myths. Sidhe is another name for them, but generally now means all fey.  

Some links you might want to look at.
http://www.pantheon.org/mythica.html
http://celticsociety.freeservers.com/sidhe.html

and any link for Castle Falkenstein...

They might inspire or they might explain other's responses to your story.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Hunters
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2003, 03:32:18 PM »
I'll take a look at that stuff when I get a chance.  My story is set in modern times, and was kind of inspired by The Highlander, actually.   :oops:

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
The Hunters
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2003, 05:29:04 PM »
By the way, Sidhe is pronounced "shee"

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild
    • Awards
Story?
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2003, 01:28:00 AM »
So are we gong to see the story?

Can we? Huh? Huh?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Hunters
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2003, 07:55:38 PM »
Well, it's not anywhere near finished yet, but if you want, I'll post what I've got.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
The Hunters
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2003, 12:45:22 AM »
AWESOME idea!!!

Sort of a mix of the Jedi and Highlander immortals, but really not. Great ideas!!! I can see why you are writing a story on them!

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Hunters
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2003, 08:59:37 PM »
I hadn't really seen the Jedi part of it before.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Hmmm.
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2003, 11:52:32 PM »
I would not of put it that way, but I can see it.  They are like the eternal incarnations of the Knights of the Round Table in some way as well. You could also see them as a dozen Choosen Ones (Ala Buffy).   The Highlander connection is obvious given their abilities.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Hunters
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2003, 10:07:25 AM »
Well, I meant for the Highlander bits to be there; the Hunters are what I imagine that the [good] Immortals would be like if they weren't constantly distracted by the Game.  I was originally going to have them being part of the Knights Templar, then decided against it.  Other early thoughts included being given a divine mission (well, I'm sure that some would see it as such), or the Hunters being divine entities themselves, like minor angels.  (I was in a very theological vien when I first started this.)  Mainly, it's an excuse for another grand Conspiracy set, and a way to have fey or elf-like characters in a non-fantasy setting, and not having actual fey or elves.

Offline Exit

• Journeyman
    • http://lithiumproductons.com/forums/
    • Awards
The Hunters
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2003, 03:23:04 PM »
Your story idea reminds me very strongly of Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising sequence, which consists of something like 5-6 books about the Old Ones, which is like your Hunters almost exactly, except they are not organized into clans or any group but represent people from the dawn of time, from King Arther to a young boy in the 20th century.

It's a very good idea and I'd love to see your story.
[size=11]There is only one way out.  Through EXiT.[/size]

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Hunters
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2004, 11:40:26 PM »
I've read one book of The Dark Rising series, always meant to read more.  The Hunters were meant to be a secret society type thing.  

Another set of people, kin to the Hunters but still mortal, are the Soulsingers, also called Healers.  The Soulsingers seem to have at least a little Hunter blood in them, for they are psychics and empaths.  Many go through life unaware, for it takes the intervention of a Seer to bring them to their full potential.  They are safer from the forces of evil, because they are not a direct threat, unless, of course, some Hunters take an interest in them.  
The Soulsingers are an interesting complement to the Hunters.  It may be supposed that an immortal will accquire some psychological baggage and emotional scars throughout his or her long life, if for no other reason than any mortal friends, kin, or lovers will eventually grow old and die, while the immortal in question will not.  The Hunters are hurt more deeply than that in their eternal struggles with the Dark.  Some are driven mad by it.  Some are so weighed down by immortality that their spirit breaks.  There are other dangers.  A Soulsinger is a healer of the mind and spirit.  Though it isn't a pleasant activity for either party, a Soulsinger can help a Hunter deal with the burdens of their gift.  (Sort of like a supernatural shrink.)  They can even help a Fallen.  An active Soulsinger does run the risk of attracting undue attention from unpleasant forces, not to mention dangers inherent in their calling.  Soulsingers have lost their minds, lives, or worse trying to heal scars too deep for their skill.

Offline Michael Jotne Slayer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Retreat now? In our moment of triumph?
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Dungeon of the Year 2010 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
The Hunters
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2004, 08:07:19 PM »
The seers make me think of In Vino Veritas
Authentic Strolenite™©®

A skeleton walks into a bar and ask the Bartender: “Do you serve skeletons here?”

Times being what they are the wily Bartender replies: “sure, we serve anyone.”

The skeleton hands the man a silver and says: “Fine, I’ll have a pitcher of beer…and a mop”